PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Preview of Snow White!

Pages : [1] 2

Disneyfreak
02-14-2004, 11:49 PM
2/14/04 Well they were letting people see the show before it actually opens due to the fact the park was packed. It was a great show for all of us disney fans. Although I did think that the Aladdin show was better. The mirror is so cool and works flawlessly with captain pickard talking.:D

TP2000
02-15-2004, 02:36 AM
They've actually been letting people in to see this show two or three times per day since Tuesday, February 10th. It's not something that started on Saturday.

And when I saw it last Wednesday, I liked it. It was better than I thought it would be, and it reminded me of the types of shows Disneyland used to do in that theater 7 or 8 years ago like Pocohontas and Beauty And The Beast.

The new Snow White show is a nice little addition to Disneyland, and something the Park was really lacking for the past couple of years in particular. I wouldn't run down to the Park just to see it, but if your going to visit Disneyland anyway and you have a Snow White fan in your group, stop by and watch it.

hersh006
02-15-2004, 10:24 PM
How do you get a preview?

We are going there this Thursday (2/19/04) and my little Snow White fan (just turned 4) would love to see this show. How do you get in to see a preview? Do they post details anywhere in particular?

Any info on show times, details would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

lindyhop
02-16-2004, 07:02 PM
I was there last night and was on my way to Toon Town when I saw people waiting outside the theater. So I joined the crowd (moo) and was watching the show about 20 minutes later.

Sometimes it helps to not have a clue what you're going to do.:)

DCAWhites
02-16-2004, 07:47 PM
I think soft openings are just about over because cast member (hard) openings are beginning very soon (tomorrow i think) and run till the day before the grand opening.

Morrigoon
02-16-2004, 09:59 PM
Didn't look too open today (though, admittedly, we were there around 5:15pm).

Polar33
02-17-2004, 12:43 AM
CM previews for today (Tuesday) were cancelled some time last week. CMs with tickets for today were told to get tickets for one of the remaining shows. None of the other CM previews have been canceled yet.

Gandalf
02-18-2004, 07:58 AM
For those that have been able to see the Snow White preview how many times does the train circle through on the average? I was thinking of trying to get a few pics of the show from it, unless the view is too obstructed.

Wizard69
02-20-2004, 12:28 AM
I saw Snow White today (CM preview) and they were letting guests in the standby line into the performances. I saw the last show (6:15) so i'm not sure if all the standby line went in because it was more crowded than the 5:00 show. But, all the standby line went into the 5:00 show. The standby line went down under the Toontown bridge into Toontown and back up the other side.

hazlnut
02-20-2004, 08:24 AM
Saw Snow White on 2/12--it was pretty good. Better than most shows I've seen there--also a bit longer.

Great sets and lighting. The music was well done. The performers were also very good.

A great show for kids 3-11 (and their parents).

MuckaMowie
02-20-2004, 08:02 PM
Okay, saw it last night at the CM preview. It was pretty good, not Aladin (the Hyperion one) and not BLAST, but pretty good. My question is, how does the mirror work? Anybody know???:confused: Also, there seemed to be a lot of peripheral noise from the train and other rides. (sounded like roller coaster screams!)

BornieoTheLoveBug
02-21-2004, 12:37 AM
Saw Snow again this evening 2/20. From what I heard it sounded like the alternative cast on this performance. The Prince was a better actor. ;)

The "death" of the Queen was in place and fairly well done. Some of the staging for this has changed since the 1st "preview" on the 10th. Seems they added more "humor," but it just wasn't for me. The audience seemed pleased.

innerSpaceman
02-24-2004, 04:16 PM
Variety gave Snow White a gushing review today.

Wish I could do the same, but - having seen it twice now - I find it totally unremarkable and entertaining only for children.

Kevy Baby
02-24-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Variety gave Snow White a gushing review today. If you want to read, you can sign up for a "trial" subscription. Here is the link. (http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=upsell_article&articleID=VR1117900619&cs=1)

HBTiggerFan
02-24-2004, 06:59 PM
I saw it on Sunday, and I find the comparisons to Beauty and the Beast that once graced the Fantasyland theater an insult to Beauty and the Beast.

Cadaverous Pallor
02-24-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
I saw it on Sunday, and I find the comparisons to Beauty and the Beast that once graced the Fantasyland theater an insult to Beauty and the Beast. Just wondering - did you see the Fantasyland theater version of B&TB? I never did.

zapppop
02-24-2004, 08:31 PM
I saw the new Snow White show on the 16th and again on the 22nd.............and that was enough for me. Snow White is not the enchanting musical TDA would like it to be. It seems they didn't learn any lessons from the Aladdin show in DCA and make the same mistakes all over again.

I don't want to write a completely negative review of the show. There were a few good things and I would like to point those out first.

==================================================
The Positive
I think each performer has vocal ability and carried a tune fairly well. Snow White and the prince harmonized very well and showed strength in their voices.

I liked the costumes. Snow White wears her scullery maid outfit throughout most of the show; a nice change of pace. The dwarfs were fun to watch. Since the actors don’t wear rubber face masks they had to use more acting skill and I think they did a good job.

================================================== The Neutral
I had mixed feelings about the Magic Mirror. The look and voice blend nicely with the facial moments, however, the mirror looks shattered when the face disappears. This is something that could be improved on. I think for dramatic effect, the evil queen should destroy the mirror just before the climax. - just an idea

The sets are bright and colorful, yet somehow seem a bit lacking. The portion where Snow White runs through the “scary” forest was not immersive enough. Only one scary tree and a few thunder effects is not enough to properly portray a dark, spooky forest. Like the mirror, this is not necessarily a bad thing and can be changed.

The songs were performed well, but didn't have much punch to them. I was discussing this with innerSpaceman and something he said was right on the money. The songs in Snow White weren't written in a Broadway show style, so they dont' translate as well as the material from animated films like Beauty And The Beast, and The Little Mermaid.

The length of the show is approx. 30 minutes. I didn’t feel at any point that the show was dragging like I did when I saw the Aladdin show in DCA. The kids around me, seemed to disagree. I noticed children having trouble sitting still for the whole show.

Due to the location of the theater you’ll hear plenty of distracting sounds throughout the performance including the screams from Gadget’s Go Coaster and the Mark Twain. Again, this is an outdoor theater and such things can be heard no matter what’s performed in this location. So take that for what you will.

The Negative
The biggest problem I had with this show was the dialogue. Like the DCA Aladdin show, this new show tries to punch up the dialogue a bit to have it differ from the film but in the process, the writers forgot the personalities of the characters and theybecome far too juvenile at times. As a result, the performances are not convincing. I didn’t believe that was ____________ because he/she didn’t act like ______________. The animated movie is more sophisticated and adult than this show.

The animal characters seemed out of place. They add an unusual Broadway style element to the show that sticks out rather than blends in. They were a complete distraction from the story.

The dwarfs were, well, not dwarfs. They were only 2 inches shorter than Snow White. Again, this was hard to believe. Perhaps if the actress playing Snow White were taller, this might work.

The climax of the show needs work. The evil queen had no boulder to try to push onto the dwarfs, so she rips out a large stone from her tower wall. Four words; give me a break! (innerSpaceman BURST OUT laughing) I think an addition set piece ( an actual loose boulder ) would’ve made all the difference. Also, the queen’s fall to her death is obscured due to her falling backwards while facing forward on stage.

Overall, the show has potential but I doubt it will get better. Perhaps if you like Aladdin in DCA or the old Animazement show, you’ll like this show too. I saw it and I’m done with it. I rate this show 2 out of 4.

That’s my opinion.

Andrew
02-24-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
Just wondering - did you see the Fantasyland theater version of B&TB? I never did. The Fantasyland Theater (original) version of B&tB on stage was just wonderful. It was cute and funny and warm, and I loved it. Saw it quite a large number of times and was very disappointed when it was removed for Poc.

The version at Disney-MGM Studios is awful.

The Broadway version took the best of the Fantasyland Theater version and improved on it, but lost some of the warm feeling.

HBTiggerFan
02-24-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
Just wondering - did you see the Fantasyland theater version of B&TB? I never did.

Yes, and it was wonderful. When B&TB was playing I wasn't an AP holder. I went for my birthday each year and this was a show I didn't miss.

It makes Snow White look like Mickeys Detective School.

cstephens
02-24-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Variety gave Snow White a gushing review today.

I was not only surprised at how much the reviewer liked the show but also by the fact that Variety reviewed it at all.

Sheila
02-25-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by cstephens
I was not only surprised at how much the reviewer liked the show but also by the fact that Variety reviewed it at all.

Not only was Variety there, so was Hollywood Reporter. Plus, there was television coverage from Telemundo, not to mention scads of freelance journalists.

This event was pushed *hard* by DLR Publicity.

Sheila

Cadaverous Pallor
03-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Please forgive me for bumping up such an old thread (heh, it's actually only about 3 weeks old....these days the board moves so fast!).

I finally saw Snow on Friday, and I was surprised...because I LOVED IT!

The set was gorgeous, acting was great, singing was wonderful, and I liked the dancing animals. In the movie, the animals are characters themselves, involved heavily in the plot - I'm glad they kept that and adapted it for the stage. I truly felt chemistry between Snow and the Prince. Both of them had great voices, and Snow had her giggly character nailed. The dwarves were funny and looked great. I liked Dopey a lot - he also seemed to nail the character. The mirror was awesome.

Some people have mentioned problems with the pacing. I didn't feel this at all. I liked the beginning with Snow meeting the Prince and I thought it moved along nicely. The end didn't seem sudden to me. Isn't that how it is in the movie anyway?

Only bad line - "Bluebird, time out!"

Only character I didn't love - the queen. She came off as less than frightening. Too silly a take, I thought. I liked the Old Hag better, even though you only see her for a short while.

Only problem with costuming - Snow's rag outfit was cool, except for the fact that she had sparkles on her sleeves and hair band. Sparkles??? She's supposed to be wearing rags.

All in all, I thoroughly got into it. I wouldn't mind seeing it again, but not often, but that's only because it doesn't change. Same reason I can't go see a 3-D movie a million times.

Here's the kicker - I saw Aladdin over in DCA the same day. I have only seen it once before, back when it first opened. I thought I should give it another shot. I left the Hyperion thinking "Well, that was nice, but rather blah." Saw Snow later in the day and was blown away by how much better it was than Aladdin. The pacing is dead in Aladdin, and the sets are all cardboard cutouts. When you compare them to the dwarves' cottage, it's no contest.

I suggest that all of you that think Aladdin is better - do a comparison day. You might be surprised.

Ghoulish Delight
03-07-2004, 12:40 PM
Liked
Mirror
Most of the costumes (see below)
Acting
The set
Mostly paced well (see below)

Disliked
Generic ballet dancing animals. Their correography was very uninspired
Most of the animals costumes. They lookd kinda dumpy. The owl and the fox were cool, though
The queen hovering around while other stuff was going on, making overdramatic arm motions. Kept catching the corner of my eye and distracting me
I thought the beginning was rather rushed, but it settled in nicely.

My overal opinion is positive. I definitely enjoyed it. I'd likely see it again. In the end, it suffers from the innevitable fact that it's a movie length story condensed into 35 minutes. But for a theme park show it was certainly enjoyable.

DivaPrincess
03-07-2004, 01:40 PM
I saw Snow White this past weekend. I have very mixed feelings about it.

The Production - I loved the sets and most of the costumes - The Prince's Ending costume was ill fitting. It made both of the princes I saw look fat. I thought the writing had good intentions, such as trying to explain how a prince and princess could fall in love so quickly, but ended up a bit to far on the cheesy side. I thought the queen's death was cheesy too. At least make the "brick" look like it's not styrofoam. I thought the mirror was amazing.

The Performers - I really disliked Snow White. She had no energy, no light. I liked that her songs were lowered to a more contemporary key, but I thought her lovely voice was nothing more than lovely. It conveyed very little emotion. I felt she was phoning it in. I saw it twice - with two princes. The first was really boring, he never moved his arms and had very poor posture. The second prince was a bit better and had a much better voice, but still seemed to downplay everything. I thought the queen was quite melodramatic and thus not very entertaining. But, I really don't blame the actors. I would venture to guess they were directed to act that way.

My least favorite part of Snow White has always been the dwarfs. They just annoy me for some reason. However, I LOVED THE DWARFS! I thought they were great - especially Happy. They all really embodied their characters and brought much needed energy to the show. I thought the choreography in the Silly Song number was great.

The Huntsman was horrid - and I could of sworn Snow White was laughing when he went to kill her.

Now, I must say that I don't think this is a show easily adapted to the stage, I just really disagreed with some of their choices. It seems to me that the "Broadway types" brought in to put the show together prided themselves on making it as "Non" Disney as possible. Now, I am broadways #1 fan, but I go to Disneyland to see the Disney Magic. It wasn't the worst half hour ever spent, but I was expecting something more.

Dlandmom
03-07-2004, 05:14 PM
On a weekday, how late can I arrive before a show and still get decent seating for the kids?

Is there any one time that seems to be less attended than others?