PDA

View Full Version : Character Breakfasts/Meals???

baileykat
10-09-2001, 04:22 PM
We will be at DLR on Dec 16, 17...My daughters bday is the 16th...I want to "splurge" for a character meal...which one is the best...also....what does anyone think of Rainforest Cafe in DTD...I haven't eaten at one...just shopped at the one in Vegas...

Dena

tabacco
10-09-2001, 05:21 PM
I'd probably say Goofy's Kitchen. You usually get at least Goofy at your table for the birthday presentation, and often whatever other characters happen to be near the table at the time. Dinner is $16.95/person, from what I remember, and probably less for kids 11 and under.

I've eaten at the Rainforest Cafe a couple of times. I think the food's quite good, especially considering that, as resort restaurants go, it's pretty affordable. I reccomend the "Rasta Pasta." Good stuff :)

disneyhead
10-09-2001, 06:06 PM
My favorite character thing for girls is the Practically Perfect Tea with Mary Poppins. We did this in May for our daughter's 5th birthday. It was very special. It is in the Paradise Pier Hotel and the room is wonderfully themed with victorian furnishings and china. They serve several different teas, scones, finger sandwiches, and dessert items. Mary Poppins sings a few songs, comes around to each table to chat and at the end they have victorian era costumes for dress-up and photos with Mary. I think it is available on Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday. Reservations are recommended as seats are very limited. From what I understand there will be a special holiday version this year.

Mouse
10-09-2001, 07:24 PM
Like tabacco I would recomend Goofy's Kitchen. I think the price has gone up to around 22 dollars a person for dinner and 18 dollars for breakfast. I would call the disneylnad hotel ahead to confirm the prices.

For Dinner you will come accross Goofy, Minnie, Belle (or another princess), Chip and Dale, Pluto and often Captain Hook and Smee.

For Breakfast look for Goofy again, Pluto, Aladdin and Jasmine, Turk, the Mad Hatter, and others.

The buffet itself is wonderful including an extensive dessert section. And every thirty plus minutes there is a "character moment" where diners are envited to dance with the characters. It's a great way to have those specail moments with the characters that your are rushed to see in the park.

EandCDad
10-09-2001, 08:16 PM
We have not eaten at the Rainforest Cafe in DTD but there is one in South Coast Plaza (a nearby mall) and the food is average (similar to Hard Rock and Planet Hollywood and other "theme" restaurants). Cool decore and my daughter (age 7) loves it.

Goofy's kitchen is good and there is quite a bit of the character interaction. I think it is closer to $19 per person but this site probably has some info (see Kevin Yee's columns). Rumor on another web site has the Mary Poppins Tea changing to a Princess tea soon. My kids (7 and 4) loved the Mary Poppins Tea but the food value is a little lower than the value at Goofy's Kitchen. It is more "fun" than Goofy's Kitchen but it is not going to fill you up by any means.

There is a "Chip and Dale Breakfast" at the Grand Californian which was about $60 for 2 adults and 2 kids (including tip). The food is great, very good quality. The only problem is it's "only" Chip and Dale so if your kids are looking for the big names they might be dissapointed. If they love Chip and Dale, this is the place to go.

Morrigoon
10-09-2001, 08:30 PM
Speaking of character meals (and I know this doesn't apply to your dates, but it's worth knowing ahead of time), I went to one of the Disneyland Hotel's big holiday events, and it was terrific!

It was a couple years ago, we went to the Alice in Wonderland themed Easter Brunch. One fact that I believe is important is we made reservations for the first sitting (the first hour). They only seat part of the room at any given time, which allows for us diners to take more than one hour. The beauty to this is, when you're there in the first sitting, there is a higher guest to character ratio. In fact, we were accompanied through the entrance by about 4 characters, who had nothing better to do yet. The setup was fantastic, very well themed, down to a gigantic teapot in the middle of the buffet area that steamed and occasionally the doormouse popped out the top of it. The food selection was very good, and there was a whole table at "kid height" with choices that would suit any picky eater. Now mind you, these were not small tables either. They had the full ballroom setup (all the partitions opened, about 3 rooms together). The entire middle section was a step-down buffet area. Three of the sides of this squarish area were adult food, adorned by ice sculptures, and the 4th side was the kids table. There was also a very large round table in the center with more grownup food. Made-to-order omlette stations were against the sides of the room, as was a dessert station, but I never made it that far... too much good stuff. Entertainment consisted of characters, of course, and alternating musicians: a trio that walked around, and a harpist up on the stage. Truly an unforgettable experience.
If you are the type that likes to have a traditional meal for the holidays (xmas, thanksgiving) then Easter is a good time to go. There's also a Mother's day brunch. Not sure if there's a Father's day though.

MickeyD
10-09-2001, 09:45 PM
Rainforest Cafe is ok. The theming and ambiance is cool, so your kids will probably like it. Just don't order a salad!! Napstosgirl ordered a salad when we were there, and it was a half a head of lettuce. Period. That's it. Not chopped up or anything. Just a half a head of lettuce. I found it hilarious, but then, I wasn't the one who had to eat it.

Morrigoon
10-09-2001, 09:53 PM
What is it about theme restaurant food? It always makes me feel ill afterward! The pasta was good though, I grant you. Skip the meal and order dessert! You can get a bananas foster crepe, or a "VOLCANO...!".

(The previous line will only be funny to those that have eaten there, it has to do with shouting waiters)

tabacco
10-10-2001, 01:31 PM
[echoing from a ways down the hallway] Volcanooooo!

tooch
10-10-2001, 03:01 PM
We took our 3 yr old daughter to Goofy's kitchen and even she wouldn't eat the food. Way too overpriced, even for Disney. The food is horrible. You could probably find something better to do with the $$$ for your daughters birthday. Good luck.

Morrigoon
10-10-2001, 06:50 PM
For about $40 you can order a positively delicious (assuming they still use the same bakery) birthday cake with the character image of your choice on it. It's a huge cake, will feed many. Try the round chocolate with strawberry or cherry filling! And I'm talking about served in the park! Call City hall at least a week in advance and reserve it.