PDA

View Full Version : Hook's Pointe for Dinner?

Alpha1mom
02-13-2004, 04:31 AM
Hi,
Has anyone had here? What's the food like? I heard it's fairly expensive. Do you get a really nice view of the pool?

We usually eat at the Rain Forest Cafe (like 2-3 times) but I'd like to try somewhere different.

Thanks

poohbunnieshutch
02-13-2004, 05:02 AM
Granville's is the place, its my personal fave!

stan4d_steph
02-13-2004, 05:06 AM
There are a few reviews on the Mouseplanet Review Page here. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlhhookspointewinecellar) I've eaten there and thought the food was very good. It will definitely be a lot quieter than the Rain Forest Cafe and in my opinion the food quality will be much higher. It's been a while so I don't quite remember the view, but I believe you can see the pool from some of the tables.

danyoung
02-13-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Alpha1mom
Hi,
Has anyone had here? What's the food like? I heard it's fairly expensive. Do you get a really nice view of the pool?

We usually eat at the Rain Forest Cafe (like 2-3 times) but I'd like to try somewhere different.

Thanks

I've eaten several meals there, although it's been a little over a year since the last time. I really enjoy it. Great service, mellow atmosphere, and excellent food. High priced, but worth it!

iAmJacksDLand
02-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Hook's is awesome. It's a very adult place to eat... very laid back and reserved. Views aren't spectacular from what I remember, but the food is excellent, service is nice, and its disconnected feeling from the hustle and bustle of the resort is nice--a feeling that can usually be acheived at WDW, given its largeness.

I recommend you try it. It certainly won't totally disappoint you, worse thing that can happen is you don't go back.

mikala
02-13-2004, 10:04 PM
They are all correct. The anbience is so great. Calm, and adult. A little romantic too. Food is awesome, and it is a must on our list. Have a wonderful time.

TP2000
02-14-2004, 01:43 AM
The food is definitely better than Rainforest Cafe. The service is generally good, but can be a bit spotty at times, which seems to be the norm for Disneyland Resort Hotel restaurants at all three hotels.

The last time I went was last Friday night, after a three or four month absence. The restaurant was half full, but our waiter was oddly overworked. Luckily he made up for pieces of the meal arriving at the table late and a few mistakes by being generally charming and likeable. Plus, we were in no hurry or worried about being impressed, so we went with the flow.

But..... the bartender couldn't make a Vodka gimlet to save her life, and I ended up with a Vodka martini with a lime twist. Bizarre. I then watched her just stand there at the bar for about 10 minutes staring out the window and looking generally bitter and ticked off about life.

I had the shrimp scampi pasta thing for an entree', and a balsamic vinegar beefsteak tomato salad. The salad was presented on the plate in that dorky nouvelle cuisine way so popular back in the 90's, but it was pretty good. The pasta was excellent, and the seafood was fresh and delicious. The glass of wine I ordered for the entree' didn't show up, and I had to flag down a busboy to try and get it. The bartender was woken out of her bitter daydreaming, and continued to pull her dour face while she poured a very skimpy serving of chardonay. Since it was late for the entree' and I had to flag down a busboy who barely spoke english to get it, the least she could have done was pour the glass two thirds full. No such luck however, and the wine was served with a nice dollop of the bartender's bitterness on top.

The coffee is the basic crummy Nescafe' dregs they serve all over the DLR, and we skipped desert for a stroll to Haagen Dazs. I have no idea what is on the desert menu. If I had to guess, it would be the predictable Creme' Brulee, a cheesecake, and a chocolate thing or two.

Overall, a good meal in a quiet and adult atmosphere. You can't see the pool from anywhere in the restaurant though, and the views generally look out at trees or the second floor of the hotel buildings. The restaurant dining room has a contemporary and vaguely nautical feel to it. And for no apparent reason whatsoever, the entire wait staff wears these strange uniforms that look like a cross between a wealthy pirate and a member of The Partridge Family. I suppose everyone needs a gimmick.

Hook's Point is definitely more mature than Goofy's Kitchen, and much quieter and relaxing than Rainforest Cafe. It's not quite Catal, but it works. Try it once if you are staying at the DLR for more than three nights.