PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Visited Attractions, Stores, Locations

ctemkg
04-13-2018, 06:03 AM
We might spend the day going to the "lesser visited" attractions and places in Disneyland. Any thoughts as to which places and rides would be on this list? These would be the rides and things that most people do not go on or stop by.

Thanks.

olegc
04-13-2018, 10:40 AM
Sleeping Beauty walkthrough. Any of the Main Street vehicles.
With the parks being so busy all the time - its hard to say if anything is "lesser visited". Maybe paying more attention to atmosphere and cues - sound effects on Main St. and New Orleans Square, visiting more unique shops. Sometimes Columbia and Mark Twain are "lesser visited" but relatively so.

Dave1313
04-13-2018, 10:58 AM
How about the Main Street Cinema (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/attractions/disneyland/main-street-cinema/)?

I only finally wandered in here on my last trip in early January. I knew conceptually what was there, but somehow never went in to investigate before!

It's a fun way to spend some time seeing some of the very early shorts, including (of course) Steamboat Willie. No real seating though, as it is a relatively small room with several screens, but you can basically come and go as you please if it is not packed in there.

cstephens
04-13-2018, 02:32 PM
Tarzan's treehouse

Donald's boat in Toontown. Same with Chip and Dale's treehouse in Toontown.

alternate viewing for Finding Nemo subs

Dave1313
04-13-2018, 02:54 PM
Not sure if you are including DCA here, or just DL, but in DCA there is Animation Academy (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/attractions/disney-california-adventure/animation-academy/).

There are always people doing it, but people who just run from ride to ride (or to Frozen or Mission Breakout;) )may not know about it. If you have a favorite character, they post which one is at each time outside the attraction, so you can know when to come back for something that really interests you.

I used to love this (though I only learned of it after going for a few annual visits) when they had it at WDW in Hollywood Studios, but it was removed when they added Star Wars Launch Bay, so I now make sure to do it on the rare trip out West to DL/DCA.

potzbie
04-14-2018, 08:21 PM
There is the disappearing Cheshire Cat in the mirror in the Fantasyland shop (The Mad Hatter).
There is the peek-a-boo behind the curtain Maleficent in the Castle main square (see 2nd story).

Pammer
04-16-2018, 08:19 AM
There is the peek-a-boo behind the curtain Maleficent in the Castle main square (see 2nd story). I think this is actually the Evil Queen (she is over the entrance to Snow White's Scary Adventures).

Rub the apple at the entrance and hear her cackle!

Shortpix77
04-16-2018, 01:00 PM
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. Wander into the Golden Horseshoe and look around and/or get a snack. Take the Disneyland Railroad all the way around the park. Visit Snow White's wishing well, go play with Clopin's Music Box in Princess Fantasy Faire...

At DCA, Blue Sky is open again and has a preview of Pixar Pier. View the Pixar Shorts in the old Muppet theater.

binky0814
04-17-2018, 09:41 AM
Not sure if you are including DCA here, or just DL, but in DCA there is Animation Academy (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/attractions/disney-california-adventure/animation-academy/).

There are always people doing it, but people who just run from ride to ride (or to Frozen or Mission Breakout;) )may not know about it. If you have a favorite character, they post which one is at each time outside the attraction, so you can know when to come back for something that really interests you.

I used to love this (though I only learned of it after going for a few annual visits) when they had it at WDW in Hollywood Studios, but it was removed when they added Star Wars Launch Bay, so I now make sure to do it on the rare trip out West to DL/DCA.

YES! Animation Academy. That was going to by my answer, too. We always do that when we're between activities or waiting for a fast pass time to come up. Love this.

josephfive
04-20-2018, 06:38 AM
Blue Sky Cellar in DCA! It's open again and showing some Pixar shorts :)

Did you already go? What did you do?

Nightwing
04-20-2018, 09:25 AM
Going to sound weird... Pick out a nice bench in either park. And just sit. Done it a few times and its fun! ^_^

Also visit the Rambler neat Soaring. If you took road trips with your family when a little kid. It fun to look at.

Mr Disney's Backyard RR train at the main station.

And there are hidden Mickeys all over and pin trading with CM.

PhiSigDuchessCV
04-20-2018, 10:04 AM
I second Great Moments with Mr Lincoln (I always try to stop by whenever I'm in the park).
Winnie the Pooh Ride.
The Tiki Room, grab a dole whip or float and watch the "Tiki Gods" do their pre-show while you enjoy your treat. Then go to the show after you've finished your treat
Canoe's if they are open
Any Main Street vehicles
Visit the fire station on Main Street and notice all the detail
Watch the Flag Retreat if you are in the park at the time

WaltDisneyFanatic
04-29-2018, 08:08 AM
We typically go during less crowded times anyway, but it always seems like there are less people around Pooh Corner. The shop is one of my favorites. Additionally, I enjoy exploring the little corners around New Orleans Square. The shops may be crowded, but it's a great area to take in details. I am also known to check the time sheet for the Dapper Dans and practically hunt them down to see a full performance. If you plan ahead, you can take a ride on the Lily Belle.

I also like everyone's suggestions above.

indiejones33
04-29-2018, 12:38 PM
I don’t think Star Wars - Path if the Jedi has been mentioned yet. It’s a 13 minute film of a bunch of clips from all the Star Wars movies. It’s a nice diversion if it’s hot out or really busy in other parts of the park. Went in there for the first time since “Honey, I Shrunk the Audience” played last week!

GoofyBill
06-18-2018, 08:31 AM
Second (or third?) Mr. Lincoln and Pooh Corner. We love walking around the Disney Gallery and Disneyana shop too.

ctemkg
06-18-2018, 08:53 AM
Some great suggestions here. Thanks.

candles71
06-19-2018, 10:18 AM
Oh definitely Animation Academy BUT it is no longer a lesser known. It is almost full any more, so don't wait too long to get in line. Both in December and a few weeks ago. They are doing a lot of Pixar characters for Pixar Fest.

potzbie
06-19-2018, 07:42 PM
I would tell you to visit the shop where the technician blows glass.
But I don't know where this shop is, anymore.

Maleficent2B
06-21-2018, 08:09 AM
Not an attraction per se, but I very much enjoy getting a chimichanga from the kiosk by BTMRR and sitting on the small wooden deck that overlooks the ROA, watching the Mark Twain or the Columbia make their loops.

danyoung
06-26-2018, 07:35 AM
If you go to the Animation Academy, make sure you leave time to just hang in the lobby and watch the projection show. The most incredible multi-screen presentation I've ever seen!