PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Street & Edision Square

Jaysrule
02-12-2004, 06:04 PM
I have a DL map from 1964 and on the Map they had two streets that were listed as "futrue developments" Liberty Street and Edision Square. The map shows in detail all the shops and attractions that were going to be developed.

I also have a 1972 map that didn't show either Libety Street or Edision Square. I assume that they were never were built. I was wondering if some Disneyland historian can tell me for sure if they were ever built; and if not, why not?

On the map Liberty Street started where the mad hatter shop is located. As you first entered the Park on Main St. to the right. What is currently backstage. A few of the things on the street were Griffin's Wharf where to ships were docked on a small body of water, Paul Rever's Silver Shop, Boston Observer Print Shoppe, Hall of Presidents and Colonial Shope.

Edision Square is located on the map where the First Aid station currently is located. Just to the right of the plaza inn if you are in front of the inn. A few things in the square were The Electronic Age, Contempory Living, Americn Home-Advent of Electricity and American Home Pre-Electiricty.

Thanks

cemeinke
02-12-2004, 07:07 PM
Neither were built - in Disneyland anyway...

Liberty Square made it's way to Walt Disney World and the Magic Kingdom.

Edison Square's concept I believe eventually morphed into the Carousel of Progress.

JenGood008
02-13-2004, 06:54 PM
You can actually still see the construction wall that once advertised that "Liberty Street" and "International Street" were "coming soon"! It is right next to the first store on the east side of Main Street (sorry - forgot the name!). It was never meant to be permanent, but...it's still there! :)

LifelongAngelsFan
02-13-2004, 08:35 PM
While I'm no Disneyland historian, I believe the New Tomorrowland probably nixed the plans for Liberty Street and Edison Square. Some, perhaps most, of the space needed for these were consumed by Mission to the Moon and, later, Space Mountain. Also, it's not clear there was ever enough room for Liberty Street.

As posted, the concepts for Edison Square were integrated into COP. What's interesting is COP and Edison Square were conceived at about the same time. So, I don't know what Walt was thinking.

Crispy
02-13-2004, 10:13 PM
If you look on the map, Liberty Square was going to contain 'The Hall of Presidents" which would have been similar to the Pirates "wax museum" original plans. Edison Square was going to contain a diorama of "Pre electric family, electric family, etc." This is the idea that morphed into the Carousel of Progress, and the Hall of Presidents made its way to Disney World.

Cris

LifelongAngelsFan
02-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Did Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln go where the Hall of Presdients would have gone?

Seems these ideas were more ambitious that space allowed.