PDA

View Full Version : favorite dark ride

Pages : [1] 2

DisneyGurly
10-08-2001, 07:49 PM
what is everyone's favorite dark ride? mine is peter pan!!!

DisneylandBoy
10-08-2001, 07:56 PM
Peter Pan is a classic! I also love Snow White . . . but it depends on what you mean by a dark ride. If it is just the ones it Fantasyland . . . my vote goes to PP and SW, but if HM counts, that gets my vote as well.

merlinjones
10-08-2001, 08:46 PM
1) Alice in Wonderland
2) Peter Pan Flight
3) Roger Rabbit CarToonSpin
4) Pinocchio's Daring Adventure
5) Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
6) Snow White's Scary Adventures

If Mr. Toad had better character flats or fiberglass statues - - that looked in the style of the movie, it would easily rate higher (those cops and other non-film humans are not well drawn or designed).

Likewise, Snow White needs better effects and a big happy ending.

Nigel2
10-08-2001, 09:46 PM
Aren't you people missing some attractions like Haunted Mansion.Surprisingly (accoding to discovery chanel) Indy is clasified as a dark ride. Makes sense, it doesn't go really fast, it is on a track, its dark, and its not a coaster.

EandCDad
10-09-2001, 12:12 PM
If Indy is classified as a dark ride my list is

Indy
Peter Pan
Alice
Pinocchio

MickeyD
10-09-2001, 12:57 PM
my favorites

Indy (if it IS a dark ride)
Alice
Peter Pan

(but I like them all...)

Napsto
10-09-2001, 01:01 PM
Indy, is a dark ride
Splash mountain
Mansion
Pirates and for the kids, Peter Pan!

mad4mky
10-09-2001, 01:27 PM
Indy (always #1 in my book).

Peter Pan
Alice (my kids like Alice better)
Roger Rabbit
Mr. Toad

if we could include WDW...Tower of Terror. Best ride there.

10-09-2001, 03:21 PM
Submarine Voyage (R.I.P.)

Largent81
10-09-2001, 04:40 PM
POTC
HM
Indy
Peter Pan
Snow White
Alice in Wonderland
Pinnochio
Mr. Toad

Queston: Wouldn't people mover qualify also? If so, (and I don't see why it wouldn't) add it to my list.

DisneylandKid
10-09-2001, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
1) Alice in Wonderland
2) Peter Pan Flight
3) Roger Rabbit CarToonSpin
4) Pinocchio's Daring Adventure
5) Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
6) Snow White's Scary Adventures

If Mr. Toad had better character flats or fiberglass statues - - that looked in the style of the movie, it would easily rate higher (those cops and other non-film humans are not well drawn or designed).

Likewise, Snow White needs better effects and a big happy ending.
If we only classify the typical dark rides (excludes Indy, POTC, etc.), my statements are EXACTLY what merlinjones' are.

DisneylandBoy
10-09-2001, 06:57 PM
If Splash Mountain IS a dark ride . . . then it gets my NUMERO UNO VOTE!

DisneylandKid
10-09-2001, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by DisneylandBoy
If Splash Mountain IS a dark ride . . . then it gets my NUMERO UNO VOTE!
Oh come on! Splash Mountain...now that is taking dark ride too far :)---it has outside portions! The true definition of dark ride needs to be established here. I think that only Alice, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Snow White, Pinocchio, Roger Rabbit, and SS Limo should count. Even small world wouldn't be classified as a dark ride IMO. Strange.

It is one of those unwritten definition things.

Napsto
10-09-2001, 08:55 PM
what are you talking about!!! splah mountian totally meets the requrements. besides, alice goes outside too!!! splash mountian is just like a dark ride except for da water!!!! it tells a story, the only difference is that it uses aduio anamatronics instead of cardboard cutouts. i think it is a dark ride for sure

Morrigoon
10-09-2001, 09:01 PM
My own personal definition of a dark ride includes the use of glow paint and black lights.... so thanks to the one room, Splash fits.

Usually, though, the more appropriate ride description would take precedence for me. Splash gets classified as a "moutain", as does the Matterhorn, Space, and Thunder. Due to their popularity and ride quality, I often also lump Indy, Pirates, and Mansion in with the "mountains" as must-do rides, but for pure classification, I would only include Indy in that. Dark rides are therefore only those rides in Fantasyland, and Roger Rabbit.

But feel free to describe stuff as you see fit :)

BTW: I like Toad best.

Largent81
10-09-2001, 11:27 PM
I take back what I said earlier! PM is not a dark ride. But, I think anything with water does not qualify either. So, let me revise my list.

Snow White
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
Pinnochio
Mr. Toad

I hate Roger Rabbitt. I used to like it but it does not appeal to me anymore. But don't hold your breath, I have been known to change my mind.

DisneylandBoy
10-10-2001, 06:52 AM
I ave read somewhere that the "definition" of a dark ride is: ANY INDOOR RIDE USING BLACK PAINT AND BLACK LIGHTS. So, the Dark rides at DL would be:

All the Fantasyland rides
Roger Rabbit
and
Splash Mountain

I don't know if HM uses blakc lights or not, I think so.

JRob2k1
10-10-2001, 09:53 AM
Space Mountain uses black lights and its indoors...

Indy uses black lights and its indoors...

*I dont think there's an exact definition of a dark ride. Darkness seems to be its only qualification...

;)

-JRob

Ace
10-10-2001, 06:06 PM
can we just say that a dark ride is a slow ride in the dark? Indy is not...and neither are Splash Mountain or space Mountain....I think it's out of the ones in fantasyland, Alice, Mansion, and Pirates

Gauchograd99
10-10-2001, 08:22 PM
I still have a thing for Pinocchio even though most think of it as crap. That, Pan, and Snow White would be at the top of my list. If you expand to Pirates and Indy, then there is no true top of the list as each is different. As much as I love Pan, I wish it were as long as ET (same setup kinda). Pirates is a blast other than the morons who take flash photos and turn on camera lights :). Indy I just have an issue with calling a dark ride, and it's form and function are different from the others.

I cannot give you a "top" but they are all great!

Nigel2
10-10-2001, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
can we just say that a dark ride is a slow ride in the dark? Indy is not...and neither are Splash Mountain or space Mountain....I think it's out of the ones in fantasyland, Alice, Mansion, and Pirates

Sorry Indy is a dark ride as classified by some theme park group and confirmed by the discovery chanel. Plus speed has nothing to do with it's classification, if its "dark" or uses black lights, is on a single bar track and afew other things then its a dark ride. Splah is a combo dark ride but its more of a log flume ride. SM is an indoor coaster. HM is a dark ride since it uses black lights (especially on the pop up ghouls), Pirates is an iffy one since it is a dark ride, but its also a flume boat attraction.

Morrigoon
10-10-2001, 11:04 PM
Indy is more a dark ride than splash mountain - splash only has like one area using blacklights. Indy, on the other hand, relies heavily on such elements.

JRob2k1
10-11-2001, 12:20 AM
Plus, Indy is not a fast ride....it's designed to make you feel like your pushing 30 or 40 mph when in reality your barely pushing 10 as in average...

-JRob

Ace
10-11-2001, 05:04 PM
Sorry Indy is a dark ride as classified by some theme park group and confirmed by the discovery chanel

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Discovery channel is not always right... I saw a documentary on the 10 best theme parks there and made an effort to go to the one at the number 5 spot (parc Asterix of Paris...) and it was terrible. It ranked above Disneyland and Magic Mountain! But anyway, if you'll look at history and not newer rides, a dark ride is a slow (Not Indy-slow) moving ride through a totally enclosed (Although alice isn't it still counts) show building without steep drops or manuevers. So basically you guys are saying that any ride with one black light is a dark ride? I guess that means Thunder Mountain is a dark ride, cause there's a dark light in the part inside the mountain at the beginning...

FEJ
10-11-2001, 09:52 PM
Adventures through Intercou...er.. Interspace.