PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars After Dark

Shortpix77
03-27-2018, 10:31 AM
Anyone going? I heard good things about the first After Dark event, so I'm going to this one with a friend. We'll see if I can manage to stay up that late :-)

indiejones33
03-27-2018, 10:58 AM
Anyone going? I heard good things about the first After Dark event, so I'm going to this one with a friend. We'll see if I can manage to stay up that late :-)

I’m surprised you heard good things. I only heard negative things about the first one. Heard that there were only a few photo ops available and the lines were horrendous. No food was included, parking wasn’t included, and it wasn’t worth the $95 price tag for the amount of time you get.

The only positive thing I heard was that the lines for the rides were quite short. Hope this one is better than the last. I won’t be spending $95 until I hear that they’ve improved.

cstephens
03-27-2018, 11:03 AM
No food was included, parking wasn’t included, and it wasn’t worth the $95 price tag for the amount of time you get.

Not sure why anyone would be surprised that food wasn't included. It's not a dining event. And the event details indicate that parking isn't included and what time the event runs, so I would think that would factor into whether or not someone decides to go, prior to them buying tickets.

That being said, yep, we're going to this one. Been waiting for this since they announced the first one. Didn't go to the first one because the theme didn't interest me.

currence
03-27-2018, 11:15 AM
Not sure why anyone would be surprised that food wasn't included. It's not a dining event. And the event details indicate that parking isn't included and what time the event runs, so I would think that would factor into whether or not someone decides to go, prior to them buying tickets.

To be fair, WDW's Christmas hard-ticket events come with "free" cookies if I recall. And when DVC does an after-dark event, there are unlimited sodas and select snack items available. So I could see how someone who wasn't paying attention would think -something- would be included to eat for free. Similarly, I think the Halloween hard-ticket events at one point included parking so if that was their experience same thing, I could see why someone would think this would too. But, I agree that the easiest way to make sure you're not disappointed is to read the actual event details for THIS event, not assume that it will be identical to others.

I was only mildly interested in the last event but it was right before we flew to WDW for a week so I couldn't quite justify the extra cost right before that trip. I'm even more interested in this one but it's not in the budget at the moment. Hopefully this one will sell out quickly, be a smashing success, and provide my family with more opportunities in the future :)

Shortpix77
03-27-2018, 12:10 PM
I’m surprised you heard good things. I only heard negative things about the first one. Heard that there were only a few photo ops available and the lines were horrendous. No food was included, parking wasn’t included, and it wasn’t worth the $95 price tag for the amount of time you get.

The only positive thing I heard was that the lines for the rides were quite short. Hope this one is better than the last. I won’t be spending $95 until I hear that they’ve improved.

Bummer! I was at the parks the day after the last event, and there were quite a few people wearing shirts from the event. I started conversations with any I could, and they had all enjoyed themselves and loved the atmosphere and all the special things. They did mention long lines for the photo ops, but said they moved really well. We shall see!

Shortpix77
03-27-2018, 02:05 PM
Weird, I just saw a tweet that the passholder pre-sale has ended? I figured it would just go through the regular sale date...

currence
03-27-2018, 03:13 PM
Did it say why? I wonder if it's already sold out

tea4two
03-27-2018, 06:28 PM
We really wanted to do this event, but (sigh... adulting strikes again) budgeting decrees that we can spend the money on this (and the inevitable merchandise) or put the money in the AP renewal fund (knowing there will be the inevitable price increase). Grumble, grumble. Since the AP pre-sale ended so quickly (sign of how popular this event is?), I think that's a sign that the renewal fund wins. Sometimes being a grownup is no fun!

cstephens
03-27-2018, 06:30 PM
So I could see how someone who wasn't paying attention would think -something- would be included to eat for free. ... But, I agree that the easiest way to make sure you're not disappointed is to read the actual event details for THIS event, not assume that it will be identical to others.

Oh, you're giving them way more credit than I do. I would never presume that the details for an event are the same as any other event or even the same as the last time they might have had such event. I'd be sure to know what to expect, and if I'm expecting something I'm not entitled to, then I figure the fault lies with me.

Weird, I just saw a tweet that the passholder pre-sale has ended? I figured it would just go through the regular sale date...

Did it say why? I wonder if it's already sold out

According to the website, they're sold out of AP tickets. They must have set aside a certain number for APs and those are gone. They say that general admission tickets got on sale on Thursday.

olegc
03-27-2018, 10:27 PM
We really wanted to do this event, but (sigh... adulting strikes again) budgeting decrees that we can spend the money on this (and the inevitable merchandise) or put the money in the AP renewal fund (knowing there will be the inevitable price increase). Grumble, grumble. Since the AP pre-sale ended so quickly (sign of how popular this event is?), I think that's a sign that the renewal fund wins. Sometimes being a grownup is no fun!

and/or the Galaxy's Edge Private Preview party! $$$$

Shortpix77
03-28-2018, 11:25 AM

Yeah, if that's a thing... I want it.

olegc
03-28-2018, 12:03 PM
Yeah, if that's a thing... I want it.And nothing has been announced - but I have to think it will be a thing. No previews.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

tea4two
03-28-2018, 07:19 PM

Oh, dear! Definitely want. Another thing to start saving for!

Mistyj
03-29-2018, 09:40 AM
Disneyland Today tweeted 43 minutes ago Star Wars Nite is now sold out.

Phineas T
04-10-2018, 01:07 PM
If anyone has 3 tix for it and not going please contact me. I was scheduled for a work trip and now that it is canceled we would like to go. We are long time AP's in Arizona.

Mistyj
04-24-2018, 10:24 AM
And, they're adding another night - May 9th. Tickets on sale May 1st.

LdyApxr
04-24-2018, 01:25 PM
Yep, just saw that and we arrive May 9th so yep, we'll be buying tickets on Monday!

cstephens
05-04-2018, 02:18 AM
Had fun at the party tonight. Loved the fireworks. Enjoyed the panel discussion with Imagineers regarding Galaxy's Edge. We didn't wait in any of the lines for character pics.

I posted some pictures on my Twitter account, in case anyone's interested. You don't need to sign up, just click on this link and scroll - https://twitter.com/cstephens2.

olegc
05-04-2018, 07:28 AM
We didn't wait in any of the lines for character pics.

that's different. Usually the special event lines for pics are pretty long (Halloween comes to mind). Nice they were short this time.

cstephens
05-04-2018, 08:35 AM
that's different. Usually the special event lines for pics are pretty long (Halloween comes to mind). Nice they were short this time.

I guess I wasn't entirely clear because you mis-read what I wrote. There were definitely lines for the character photo ops. We just decided not to wait in any of them. There wasn't anyone we were interested in enough.

olegc
05-04-2018, 09:58 AM
I guess I wasn't entirely clear because you mis-read what I wrote. There were definitely lines for the character photo ops. We just decided not to wait in any of them. There wasn't anyone we were interested in enough.Oh... Thanks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

cstephens
05-04-2018, 11:38 PM
They had the Star Wars Day shirts and hats available at Star Traders today. I'm pretty sure they ran out of the tumblers yesterday. Not sure if they had pins left. I read reports of people spending 2 hours in line for merchandise on Thursday night and they were mad. I've never understood that. If you choose to do that, that's on you. I like merchandise, but I made the decision that I didn't want to spend my time doing that. If it's 2 hours out of my entire day or out of a weekend or something, that's one thing. But 2 hours out of an event that lasts 4 hours? Nope. Not interested. But you can't stay in line that whole time and then complain that you didn't get a chance to do anything else. You pick your priorities for what's important to you and what you want to do. We got in the merchandise line around 12:15 and spent about 15 minutes in line total.

I also noticed tonight that they left up two of the photo ops - the Wampa cave and the trash compactor - in the downstairs Starcade room next to Star Traders.

It'll be interesting to see the reports for Wednesday night.

Shortpix77
05-07-2018, 12:43 PM
They had the Star Wars Day shirts and hats available at Star Traders today. I'm pretty sure they ran out of the tumblers yesterday. Not sure if they had pins left. I read reports of people spending 2 hours in line for merchandise on Thursday night and they were mad. I've never understood that. If you choose to do that, that's on you. I like merchandise, but I made the decision that I didn't want to spend my time doing that. If it's 2 hours out of my entire day or out of a weekend or something, that's one thing. But 2 hours out of an event that lasts 4 hours? Nope. Not interested. But you can't stay in line that whole time and then complain that you didn't get a chance to do anything else. You pick your priorities for what's important to you and what you want to do. We got in the merchandise line around 12:15 and spent about 15 minutes in line total.

Agreed. We took one look at the pin line, laughed, and then left to do other things. We did do some of the photo ops (longest line we waited in was about 50 minutes for Ewoks). Some of the lines for photos were super efficient, and some were just so slow... the Ewoks interacted with people and danced with everyone, which is why they took forever. The Sarlaac pit CM photographer was doing a million poses for each party, so we opted not to wait in that one.

Overall, we had a great time at the event. We also loved the panel on Galaxy's Edge. The only negatives for us were that some things opened late (some photo ops were starting at 9:30) and some things closed early (we tried to get the event beignets at about 12:30 and the Mint Julep Bar was completely dark). If you're only holding a four-hour event, then all of the things need to be available for the entire event duration (or at the very least, there needs to be something that lists what is open/closed and when).