PDA

View Full Version : Mission Tortilla Factory

Pages : [1] 2

DisneyDenise28
10-08-2001, 02:04 PM
What do you folks actually think of the mission tortilla factory? Seriously..... tell me what you think about the tour... I'm a cast member that want's feedback about it. I sometimes give the tour while people just scurry past me and it's so embarrassing. I personally don't care for the tour and believe its pointless, but hey, it's my job... please give me some feedback!:confused:

cstephens
10-08-2001, 02:14 PM
I like it when there's an actual CM there giving the spiel about the murals on the wall. I think it's interesting, and I do think it's educational. I've only had that experience once, and it's a shame they don't have enough CMs scheduled to be able to do that all the time. It really does defeat the purpose of the exhibit if people just walk by and don't know what they're looking at, and all they're getting is a free snack. At least make them work for it!

splbound
10-08-2001, 02:20 PM
Truth?

Anyone that has been more than 1 time thru the attraction is going to get a morsel. Safe bet to say at this point most (if not almost all) of the daily take at DCA is AP's, who have been there, done that.

The "tour" is more an explaination of a painting then a tour.

I say just let people push by you, and don't be troubled. I think everybody stays and listens to the spiel once. After that, it's just for a tor----sorry, 1/2 a tortilla.

mcampisi
10-09-2001, 04:49 PM
I always check out the "holograms" anyway. If they are giving the spiel, then I am at least polite enough to wait until they are done.

But seeing the tortilla making machine once was enough for me. I'm through the door and on the way to my tortilla.

BiggJakeMoney
10-10-2001, 01:35 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love DCA. But for some reason, to me, a "tour of tortillas" is about as exciting as "a walk-through history of toe-jam removal technique."

Maybe if it was the "Great Tortilla Adventure" where you'd ride on giant tortillas, and try to escape the evil cook who was trying to turn you into a quesadilla?

Well, I think it's a good idea.;)

-BJM

tinkfreak
10-10-2001, 02:12 PM
I actually liked the tour the one time I visited this attraction. I just think it would be better if the tortillas didn't taste like crap!

Nigel2
10-10-2001, 10:17 PM
I went on the tour but I didn't try the tortillia since I had a ton of them at home already but why would someone wait in line to get one anyway?

Morrigoon
10-10-2001, 11:01 PM
What line?

Nigel2
10-10-2001, 11:03 PM
I swear people will wait in line for a half of a tortilla.

9oldmen
10-10-2001, 11:22 PM
What if Jesus' face appears in a tortilla?

BiggJakeMoney
10-10-2001, 11:31 PM
More importantly, what if Olivia Newton-John's face appears on a tortilla?

-BJM

MonorailMan
10-11-2001, 03:19 AM
Or Elvis, Now THATS A story lmao :) :) :p

Cadaverous Pallor
10-11-2001, 02:28 PM
Half a tortilla? :confused: I always get a full one. And I think they taste really good! Fresh, hot, yum.

Yeah, I go to get a snack. Free tortillas! woohoo :cool:

Ghoulish Delight
10-11-2001, 02:53 PM
No, it's always a half tortilla. And they are quite tasty. Sorry tink, you seem to be out numbered on that one. It's clearly too late to be fixed, but I think the Bakery Tour is set up a little better. From what I've seen, they group you up outside, take you in with a CM, and go through a tour. Rather than letting you stand in a small room with very little to see to begin with right next to an obvious door. No chance of holding a tourist's attention.

Now, ironically, I have yet to actually take the bakery tour as it's supposed to. The one time Cad Pal and I were in there, we happened to come in (unknowingly) through the exit. The door was open, there was no sign, so in we went, assuming it was like the tortillas. We walked through, glanced around, saw a group coming the other way watching Rosie Odonnel, and walked out the entrance. We got some very puzzled looks from the CM and the small group of people waiting to get in.

Uncle Dick
02-28-2002, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Nigel2
I went on the tour but I didn't try the tortillia since I had a ton of them at home already but why would someone wait in line to get one anyway?

Because these tortillas are soft and fluffy and hot and delicious and exceedingly fresh. Unless you've got a machine in your backyard (wouldn't that be awesome....), it doesn't get any better than the tortillas at the Mission Factory.

As for the tour, I've never taken it. I always seem to visit the Tortilla Factory just before DCA closing (dinner time!), and the tour is never offered that late. Shucks.

BTW, when did the CMs at the Boudin Factory start offering three pieces of bread (and a sucker!) instead of just one? And what does a tasty sucker have to do with Boudin Bread? Hmmmm.... ;)

mrcoffee
02-28-2002, 01:34 PM
The few times I've gone through the tour, I've also received a whole tortilla, of course,there were few people there, and that's probably why they gave me a whole one..

Living in AZ, though, it's no biggie getting fresh tortillas.. Some of our grocery stores make them fresh, as well.

Thomas

Dawnie
02-28-2002, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
[B]No, it's always a half tortilla. And they are quite tasty.

Nope....they were handing out whole tortillas out last weekend......

:) at least on 2/24......But, I will agree on the tasty part. I also grabbed a few recipes and checked out Mission Tortilla website after arriving home. They had some delicious ideas.

pixiepal
02-28-2002, 04:00 PM
Sorry to say I've never bothered with the tour...I can see tortillas being made at my local Chevy's.

And, as an extra bonus, I can sip a cool margarita while I watch the big machine do it's thing!! :rolleyes:

cstephens
02-28-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by pixiepal
Sorry to say I've never bothered with the tour...I can see tortillas being made at my local Chevy's.

I actually like watching the tortilla machine at Chevy's as well, but that's a small one. The machine they use at DCA is a lot bigger, more involved, and much more fun to watch, imo.

/cs

"Oh, a poetry reading."

disneynut
02-28-2002, 08:08 PM
I don't mind the tortilla factory as long as I can avoid the goofy (sorry, Goofy) tour. But I'm always so disappointed when the corn side is up and not the flour side. But I guess that's another debate....:D

Dlandmom
02-28-2002, 08:51 PM
Haven't been...but I'd like to.

Can I take a squirmy 2 year old through the tour...is there a way for me to bypass it if she gets TOO squirmy?

disneynut
02-28-2002, 09:02 PM
The tour that I went on lasted all of maybe 2 minutes. I don't think its scripted from the presentation that we were given. But both the CM at the door and the one giving the 'tour' were determined we were going to listen to what they had to say. (I took my 20 month old and 4 year old without a problem) It's no where near as long as the boudin tour.

Nigel2
02-28-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

Because these tortillas are soft and fluffy and hot and delicious and exceedingly fresh. Unless you've got a machine in your backyard (wouldn't that be awesome....), it doesn't get any better than the tortillas at the Mission Factory.

BTW, when did the CMs at the Boudin Factory start offering three pieces of bread (and a sucker!) instead of just one? And what does a tasty sucker have to do with Boudin Bread? Hmmmm.... ;)

Well I have made them by hand and they taste better than mission's. You don't need a machine anyway, if you want them as thin as the factories make them just buy the press, its very simple.:)

Well they have been giving out 3 pieces of bread for a while, not sure about the sucker, is there a logo on it?

Also what is with the resurection of all these dead thread?:D

Uncle Dick
02-28-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2

Well they have been giving out 3 pieces of bread for a while, not sure about the sucker, is there a logo on it?
I didn't notice one. They looked like just plain old generic multicolored suckers. Tasty ones at that.

Also what is with the resurection of all these dead thread?:D

1) I haven't posted comments on many of them yet.
2) I want to boost my post count in a legitimate way

Nigel2
02-28-2002, 10:12 PM
There is a legitmate way to boost counts? Acutally I have been good so...

Hmmm that is odd that they are giving out generic suckers though.