PDA

View Full Version : 2018 DCA Food and Wine Festival - food and event reviews

Pages : [1] 2

olegc
02-27-2018, 02:49 PM
I thought to start a new thread to capture people's thoughts on the event. Some others have been posted in the Holiday thread.

Here's one - its already Feb 27th and no kiosk menus are out yet. DisneyFoodBlog (http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2018-disney-california-adventure-food-and-wine-festival-booths-menus-and-food-photos/) was one of the sites that had a list of booths (and anyone can go to DCA and see the booth names). This is another event that seems to have been managed with very tight control of information until the last minute. Doesn't it seem like other events at the resort have kind of been that way in the last 12 months? announcement of information regarding food, entertainment, etc maybe 2 days before. Tough to plan but then it does create instant demand and a huge crowd opening weekend. I can see it now - complaints of how crowded it was but then its of Disney's own making.

From the food booth list it looks like there are several returning booths and some new ones (Avocado, Cluck a doodle moo). Unfortunately for me I won't be hitting any seminars. Work now precludes any attendance so it will be food samples only. I hope others can make some of the wine or special event presentations and report your comments here. I was so hoping for the preview night but they cancelled that. I look forward to some great things.

missm
02-27-2018, 08:54 PM
Do the booths take Disney gift cards?

olegc
02-27-2018, 08:59 PM
Do the booths take Disney gift cards?Yes

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Shortpix77
02-28-2018, 11:36 AM
I'm going on 3/16 and can't wait! Considering doing the Flora Springs tasting, but since the info on those seminars is so minimal, it's hard to decide if it would be something I'd enjoy.

I'll be at the parks on 3/4 as well, but with kiddos -- not sure we'll make it over to Food and Wine or if we'll be at Disneyland all day.

indiejones33
02-28-2018, 01:27 PM
Soft opening is today and the food looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it this weekend!

olegc
02-28-2018, 02:16 PM
I saw a picture posted with the Paradise Garden Grille menu. It's a repeat of the Oktoberfest menu - sausage trio, beer battered code, pork tacos, soft pretzel.

cstephens
02-28-2018, 03:40 PM
Kiosk menus are up! (https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/02/foodie-guide-to-2018-disney-california-adventure-food-wine-festival-at-disneyland-resort/)

On my list:

Peruvian salmon poke
bourbon chocolate whoopie pie
salt and beer vinegar parmesan chicken wings
black garlic soy-braised pork belly banh-mi
sausage trio with braised red cabbage and warm potato salad

olegc
02-28-2018, 04:30 PM
They put the White Cheddar Lager soup at the Beer kiosk. That will be a long line to get your soup fix.

Gone2Disneyland
02-28-2018, 07:41 PM
No mention of the AP Sip and Savor lanyards in DPB's post about the event. And while there's a heading on Disneyland's event page titled "Perks for Annual Passholders", there is nothing listed below it. I assume they're coming back. I hope they're coming back!! :p I hope to start sampling some items this weekend.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/events-tours/disney-california-adventure/food-and-wine-festival/

cstephens
02-28-2018, 07:50 PM
Someone asked about that on one of the Facebook posts and the answer given was "keep watching our page for more info". Wasn't there an issue one year where the passes weren't ready yet and so they weren't selling it until a few days or maybe a week later?

Berry Princess
02-28-2018, 08:50 PM
Someone asked about that on one of the Facebook posts and the answer given was "keep watching our page for more info". Wasn't there an issue one year where the passes weren't ready yet and so they weren't selling it until a few days or maybe a week later?

I think so and then out of the blue they popped up.

After looking at the list of options it feels like its more alcohol listed then food. I don't remember it being so much in the past but maybe I am wrong. It just felt more balanced I thought before. Yet not much for my taste buds from the looks of it. I do want to try bourbon chocolate whoopie pie, Meyer Lemon Macaron, Creamy Mac & Cheese with Garlic Bread Crumble, and Salted Caramel Budino with Vanilla Bean Chantilly Cream.

tea4two
02-28-2018, 10:06 PM
Kiosk menus are up! (https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/02/foodie-guide-to-2018-disney-california-adventure-food-wine-festival-at-disneyland-resort/)

On my list:

Peruvian salmon poke
bourbon chocolate whoopie pie
salt and beer vinegar parmesan chicken wings
black garlic soy-braised pork belly banh-mi
sausage trio with braised red cabbage and warm potato salad

Those are on our list, too! Along with some other things... I'm glad we'll get to re-taste some things from last year and finally try some new-to-us things this year. We never did get to try some things last year because the line was always too long or the kiosks were waiting for a refill. So it's good to see some of those things reappear on the menu for this year.

tea4two
03-01-2018, 03:53 AM
No mention of the AP Sip and Savor lanyards in DPB's post about the event. And while there's a heading on Disneyland's event page titled "Perks for Annual Passholders", there is nothing listed below it...

AP Lanyard info: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/events-tours/disney-california-adventure/passholders-food-wine-festival/.

Gone2Disneyland
03-01-2018, 05:51 AM
AP Lanyard info: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/events-tours/disney-california-adventure/passholders-food-wine-festival/.

Thank you!!

cstephens
03-01-2018, 06:34 AM
After looking at the list of options it feels like its more alcohol listed then food. I don't remember it being so much in the past but maybe I am wrong. It just felt more balanced I thought before.

Well, it is the Food and Wine Festival. As I recall, they usually have more alcohol for this than the other food festivals at DCA. I wasn't paying close enough attention when I was reading through the menus, but I think there are dedicated kiosks/locations for some of the alcohol, so while it doesn't take up a lot of space physically, it makes a listing of choices make it seem longer.

Or, maybe Disney is realizing that in addition to food, alcohol sells. It may also be because they know that the Cove Bar is closed, so some people are looking elsewhere for their adult beverages.

olegc
03-01-2018, 09:54 AM
I think it may be the latter. I was curious so I went and checked the food guide from last year (2017). Disney Parks Blog did not have a thorough list so I went to the DFB to check theirs.

2017 booths did have some beverages available at most but not all. 2018 has definitely seen an increase in the beverage options. Also, it seems that DFB stated some of the larger menus of beers and wines are on a rotation - so you won't have all of the options available to you at each visit. This is not confirmed of course. DFB has prices too.

2017 - http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2017-disney-california-adventure-food-and-wine-festival-booths-menus-and-food-photos/
2018 -http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2018-disney-california-adventure-food-and-wine-festival-booths-menus-and-food-photos/

And there is an alergy-free menu guide (see the DFB 2018 post to check our pics of the menu).

ChipmunkStar
03-01-2018, 07:10 PM
Things tried today in no order whatsoever:

La Style
LVP sangria, very tasty but for 9.50 a very small pour

Brewhouse
Michelada, always perfect. Year round.

Strawberry stand
Fruishi, tasty and sweet, would buy again
Strawberry Frose- absolutely loved! It was like a dangerous wine daiquiri

I <3 Artichokes
Both dishes were great!

Eat your greens
OMG the Caesar asparagus was so good!

Cluck moo whatever
Chicken wings were very good

Garlic stand
Mac and cheese was very good

We also took a time out at the Al Fresco Lounge and the Carthy circle Lounge and both were just really nice breaks from the park with great drinks offered.

Berry Princess
03-02-2018, 06:26 PM
Well, it is the Food and Wine Festival. As I recall, they usually have more alcohol for this than the other food festivals at DCA. I wasn't paying close enough attention when I was reading through the menus, but I think there are dedicated kiosks/locations for some of the alcohol, so while it doesn't take up a lot of space physically, it makes a listing of choices make it seem longer.

Or, maybe Disney is realizing that in addition to food, alcohol sells. It may also be because they know that the Cove Bar is closed, so some people are looking elsewhere for their adult beverages.

Yet it also include the word Food in that title first. It could be they are doing it because of the Cove Bar though but it does seem a longer list. I probably noticed because of scrolling past so much of it compared to the food and I don't drink wine at all. As well as I don't drink when I am there since I am with my kids.

I think it may be the latter. I was curious so I went and checked the food guide from last year (2017). Disney Parks Blog did not have a thorough list so I went to the DFB to check theirs.

2017 booths did have some beverages available at most but not all. 2018 has definitely seen an increase in the beverage options. Also, it seems that DFB stated some of the larger menus of beers and wines are on a rotation - so you won't have all of the options available to you at each visit. This is not confirmed of course. DFB has prices too.

I did look up last years too. It does seem a lot more then last. I did notice that one of them said they had some on rotation. Looks like it was more so listed with the Nuts and Cheese booth doing that.

cstephens
03-03-2018, 09:55 AM
Yet it also include the word Food in that title first.

I had occasion to be at WDW during the time of their Flower and Garden festival two years in a row, and I was amused at how much food and wine was available for that event.

olegc
03-03-2018, 10:52 AM
First five items for me. Overall just kind of OK. Nothing blew me away. I'm trying mostly new items (one from each booth to start)
Shrimp boil tacos with andouille (off the cob)- the sausage flavor (and fat) was way too strong for this dish. No way do u taste any corn or shrimp. Two small tacos. I like andouille but I wanted more balance.
Black garlic pork bahn mi (garlic kissed) - great flavor on the pork and very juicy. I had hoped the small roll would be a bit more firm on the outside (especially since banh mi was a dish just at Paradise Garden Grill). Not enough jalapeno kick.
Salt and beer vinegar parmesan wings (cluck a Moodle Doo) - a little disappointing. You'd think this would be a flavor explosion but it was quite mild. I could only really taste the salt and parm on the wing parts but not the drummettes. Also texture was like they had been in the warming tray for a while. Almost like underdone and the skin was quite fatty. 4 wings
Grilled chilled artichokes with romesco (I <3 artichokes) - pretty good. Lots of romesco so you could have offered the dish the other way :-).
Bourbon chocolate whoopie pie (I <3) - good chocolate flavor and some chips in there. The bourbon flavor is very subtle and hits you after your bite is on the way down.

I think maybe since it was right at opening some of these items were not as good as they could have been but this is my opinion. More tastes next week.

olegc
03-03-2018, 09:19 PM
hmmm maybe this is why the preview event was cancelled on March 1st. - use the resources for this event
1st ever Sip and Stroll D23 at DCA's Food and Wine Festival
https://d23.com/d23-event/d23s-sip-stroll-disney-california-adventure/
$170 per person on Tuesday, March 13th. Does not include park admission. ( the preview event was 75 I think).

Im a Gold Member but this is out of my budge range.

cstephens
03-03-2018, 10:46 PM
We walked the booths today but didn't feel like dealing with the lines. A couple of the more popular places were super long - maybe 30 people in line. So we opted for Paradise Garden Grill and shared the sausage platter, the fish and chips, and the giant pretzel. All were good. Love the stone ground mustard.

olegc
03-03-2018, 10:48 PM
We walked the booths today but didn't feel like dealing with the lines. A couple of the more popular places were super long - maybe 30 people in line. So we opted for Paradise Garden Grill and shared the sausage platter, the fish and chips, and the giant pretzel. All were good. Love the stone ground mustard.Yes! That mustard was great last year. I need to go back.

Shortpix77
03-05-2018, 01:20 PM
Snuck in a few things this weekend! Tried the "Selection of 3 California Cheeses – Point Reyes Blue, Vella Jack, and Fiscalini Cheddar" and the Mimosa Flight at Nuts About Cheese (pineapple was the best!). Wanted to get some other things too, but the lines for all of the booths were LONG LONG LONG all day yesterday and our group had two kiddos with us, so we decided to put the other stuff off for next time. Nuts About Cheese had a way smaller line, I think because it's over by Monster's Inc. instead of on the main drag. We had a much harder time finding that booth, haha.

cstephens
03-05-2018, 04:00 PM
The booth with the Caesar salad asparagus dish had zero line when we were there on Saturday. :)