PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic Hiatus = Good Idea

Pages : [1] 2

SimpTwister
10-08-2001, 08:40 AM
I've always thought it a bit silly that DL had TWO spectacular pyro shows, and DCA had nothing. DCA empties out early? Duh.

Fantasmic's hiatus, along with the debut of LuminAria, should really be a boost for DCA. It's really about time they did something like this.

DL guests will still have Believe!.

I just hope LuminAria is somewhere near Fantasmic! quality. I wouldn't expect it to be as good, of course... If it's even half as good, though, I think they'll be fine.

Then there are the points being made over in the Mark Twain at Night thread... that thread title pretty much says it all. It will be nice to have a peaceful RoA, NOS, Frontierland area in the evenings again, if only for a while...

DisneylandKid
10-08-2001, 08:42 AM
Like SimpTwister said...if only for a while. Fantasmic was great, and I don't want it to be away for more than a couple of months. Maybe in January after LuminAria ends!?

dshimel
10-08-2001, 08:43 AM
Better idea if they'd left Fantasmic showing until the new show starts. I'm going end of Oct and will get neither. Eurika is showing on week days only? What is up with that?

SimpTwister
10-08-2001, 08:53 AM
I didn't realize there'd be a gap between Fantasmic's closing and LuminAria's debut... that IS kind of bad. Like I said, though, there's still Believe!

I agree with DLK... I think it's good that Fantasmic is going down for a while, but I, too, want to see it come back. It really is a great show. (though the crowds are a HUGE pain!)

This is where it would really be nice to have an ACTUAL Tomorrowland (not the POS that currently exists).

Since all the good rides are in the general vicinity of RoA, those who want to avoid the Fantasmic crowds have about three things to do in the whole park! (Yes, I'm exaggerating... but still...)

Thomas
10-08-2001, 09:38 AM
Fantasmic's hiatus, along with the debut of LuminAria, should really be a boost for DCA. It's really about time they did something like this.

DCA will only be filled by AP's though.

merlinjones
10-08-2001, 10:41 AM
I wouldn't object if Fantasmic! were scaled back to an audio/visual spectacular with just music, pyro, and the water projections, eliminating the live characters and storyline. It would save them alot of money and still provide a gorgeous diversion for the crowds.

DisneylandKid
10-08-2001, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
I wouldn't object if Fantasmic! were scaled back to an audio/visual spectacular with just music, pyro, and the water projections, eliminating the live characters and storyline. It would save them alot of money and still provide a gorgeous diversion for the crowds.
Oooooooooh...I disagree! That Fantasmic! would be too similar to DCA's LuminAria. Keep the story & characters :)

Ralph Wiggum
10-08-2001, 12:58 PM
I just hope that this hiatis of Fantasmic doesnt turn out like Rocket Rods and other rides that have been moved to Yesterland. I have a feeling it might :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

DisneylandKid
10-08-2001, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
I just hope that this hiatis of Fantasmic doesnt turn out like Rocket Rods and other rides that have been moved to Yesterland. I have a feeling it might :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
That's a terrible though! However, the reason the Rods (May The Rest in Peace) closed was because they had a problem that could not be fixed (well it could, but let's not get into that subject, it is very hard for me to talk about :crying: ;) ) As far as I know, there is no mechanical/technical/other problem with Fantasmic! Is there? Gosh, I hope not. Losing the Rods was hard enough :).

mrfantasmic
10-08-2001, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
BAD!! BAD!BAD!BAD!BAD!BAD!BAD!BAD!BAD!BAD!BAD!BAD!BAD!BA D!
NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO
The Scaled down show would be a disaster! One of the attractions is that there is actually a moving storyline! Take that away and you have LuminAria. I'm not saying LiminAria is going to be bad, I love Disney Entertainment. But that's not the style of Disneyland.
I Think it might be nice to have Fantasmic! being a seasonal show again...
but...

zapppop
10-08-2001, 06:59 PM
I agree that this will help draw a crowd to DCA to see LuminAria.

Personally, I could care less if Fantasmic never returned.

DisneylandBoy
10-08-2001, 08:03 PM
NO! IF FANTASMIC NEVER CAME BACK! AHHHHHHHHHHHH! We aren't going to talk about that. Anyway, enjoy the peace from no Fantasmic while you can, don't wish a scaled down version. BLAH!

Disney Fan Matt
10-08-2001, 08:24 PM
I have a feeling that they would tell us if they were getting rid of Fantasmic forever.
We would all go and see it one last time, giving them big attendance and lots of money. They won't just do away with it.
Theres money to be made through a long drawn out final run for the show! Just like MSEP....

Mr D
10-08-2001, 08:33 PM
I just have to say this, if anyone really wants to see Fantasmic, then go to WDW, or is this a strategy ploy to herd us into changing our travel plans and stay at WDW to give more money to Disney/Eisner. Brilliant plan, slowly shut down DL, give DCA minimal improvements and make everyone flock to WDW and have them stay at a Disney controlled property eating high priced Disney food and keep them there for at least 5 days. Hmmmmm...

Alex S.
10-08-2001, 08:43 PM
Except that Florida's version isn't nearly as good.

Gauchograd99
10-08-2001, 08:45 PM
I agree with those saying that this might be a Rocket Rod-like move to remove the show. If it is in mothballs long enough they can say that the stuff rotted or they can just say nothing and never see it again. Either way, it would not be good and definitely not smart.
I would just think that if anyone is asked the survey, ask when Fantasmic! is returning as you really would be coming to the park more than once a year if it were on. :)

slaakker
10-08-2001, 09:00 PM
Fantasmic is a wonderful show and I for one would hate to see it go. I have been known to be one of those idiots that sit for 3-4 hours to get the front row for me and my kids. I hope they don't scale it back. They may leave it that way due to the decrease cost and it will be "Good enough".

Take your time, fix it, but bring it back better than ever! Please.

DisneyFreak2000
10-08-2001, 09:14 PM
If Fantasmic! closes I will loose all faith in Disney. Don't get me started Eisner!!! Also, since Fantasmic! will be axe duntil summer they could move up the RofA refurb! So they could "have an excuse"

Nigel2
10-08-2001, 09:17 PM
Since Luminaria has a theme but no storyline it can still be sucessfull since Illuminations:Reflections of earth seems to draw in tons of people arround the lagoon. But I hope that Fantasmics break isn't one of lisure, I would want to see developmets in the technology, fix up the boats to be more durable... I always wonder (it might be back) but why was the cabin on fire, extinguished?

Mr D
10-09-2001, 04:03 AM
I really must say this, Eisner is letting down the American public by NOT having the good shows to help us in these trying times, since I am not a heavily religous person nor is my family we have been looking to our yearly Disney escapes from where we live up here in Alaska. Now with that boil of a park DCA making cuts on DL it appears that we may not visit DL in the near future, and also the possibility of terrorist biological activities near WDW has also made us change our plans, what to do? We will not leave US soil and visit TDS unless its with a party of Seals or SAS. Wake up Eisner and give America a refuge! Give us a place to relax and recharge, sell some of those recent investments and commit ALL your resources to make us appreciate you with quality like Tokyo DisneySea. America needs it more so now than ever.

Napsto
10-09-2001, 01:11 PM
it could be like mj, retire for a year and come back and still dominate

SimpTwister
10-09-2001, 08:08 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Fantasmic! hiatus became permanent. Or maybe they'll just do in on weekends and/or holidays.

I have to say I really wouldn't blame them. Though it really is the best show ever, it must be a nightmare to run. It uses such a large amount of resources, not the least of which is practically the entire west side of the park.

As I understand, it was never meant to run nearly as long as it has. Considering the scale of the show, it's amazing that it ever happened at all.

I have to agree with merlinjones, it would be OK with me if the entire show were scaled back. Maybe they could call it 'Imagination' rather than 'Fantasmic', so people would know it's supposed to be different...

Maybe it could even get its own theater... I wonder of they could adapt the Animazement theater? That might actually be pretty cool.

Heresy, I know, but having people staking out spots all along RoA hours in advence, every single night, really ruins the atmosphere on that side of the park for me.

It's a trade-off.

DisneylandBoy
10-09-2001, 08:16 PM
It is apparent they have stopped Fantasmic for the holidays is because they want people to go over to DCA at night for Lumiaria (or whatever it is called) and the holidy MSEP (or DEP). And then, it would only run rarely after that until summer, so they just decided to cut it until Summer.

Morrigoon
10-09-2001, 08:16 PM
Sorry, Fantasmic is worth the traffic problems.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would want to close a show based on its rampant popularity. I understand your gripe, as far as getting around the land, but it's still no reason to close a show. Imagine deciding to close the Matterhorn just because its line is so long.

If they were to permanently end Fantasmic before bringing MSEP back across the esplanade, I would be EXTREMELY disappointed in the Disney company.

SimpTwister
10-09-2001, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Sorry, Fantasmic is worth the traffic problems.
Well, yes, but just barely. It HAS been worth the traffic problems for the past 10 years, but it may be time for a change.

Imagine deciding to close the Matterhorn just because its line is so long.
A long line at the Matterhorn affects only the Matterhorn. Fantasmic! affects ALL of Frontierland and NOS, and to a lesser extent Critter Country and Adventureland.

It's really unfortunate that Fantasmic! takes place right in the middle of all the best rides. Even without Fantasmic! that side of the park would be busiest anyway, and Tomorrowland would be (and is) relatively empty.

Too bad the park couldn't be more balanced... The only way to get some symmetry, though, would be to add about 3 NEW E Tickets to TL...