PDA

View Full Version : Black Panther meet and greet

cstephens
02-19-2018, 10:54 AM
We had a chance to do the Black Panther meet and greet yesterday. It's at the Hollywood Studios backlot area, where they had the Olaf meet and greet some time ago, but they're only using a tiny portion of it. (I was thinking it would have been cool if they'd done T'Challa's throne room, like the throne room they did for Thor's meet and greet, but then I realized it wouldn't really make sense if you were meeting Black Panther, as opposed to T'Challa.) The queue is outside, to the right of the stage. Be warned though, that Black Panther is only out for a certain amount of time, and then he goes away "to handle some matters in Wakanda" before coming back out. He and the Dora Milaje arrive in the Avengers jeep that Hawkeye and Black Widow were using. Well, he gets to ride it, and they walk behind it. We ended up having to wait through two cycles, though they don't really tell you how it works. We apparently got in line during a break period. Once they arrived, about 10 minutes later, the line started to move a little. We got far enough up in the line where there were maybe 15 people ahead of us, and Black Panther and his guards left. We were told he'd be back in about half an hour. We'd already been waiting for maybe 40 minutes at that point and just decided to stay and wait. Once he returned, it was about another 10 minutes for us to make our way in. It's a tiny little space, with a few artifacts inside, but there isn't much time to look or take pictures of them because they're wanting you to be in line and ready for the meet and greet. I did manage to take some pictures of the artifacts (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/965661642175467521), which were pretty cool. I wish they had them in a place where you could get a better and longer look.

And then we got to meet T'Challa. I chatting with him a bit, and that was a lot of fun. I told him I was hoping to see his sister, and he said Shuri had come with him but he hadn't seen her in a while because she's out wandering around, probably going on rides. He then made a comment that she might be thinking about opening a Disneyland in Wakanda. I told him that was a great idea. After our pictures, we said goodbye, and I told him I hoped Shuri enjoys her visit. He said he hoped she didn't leave without him. He was terrific.

After we went outside, I was able to take a picture of one of the Dora Milaje (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/965662202328842240). So cool. There were two Dora Milaje who arrived with Black Panther, and one walked the line, talking to people and taking pictures. She was also showing people how to do the Wakanda salute - arms crossed in front of your chest, right arm over left arm. When people would cross their arms for a picture, about half the time, she had to say, "The other way." Again, right arm over left arm. The other guard was out front, available for pictures in front of the jeep.

olegc
02-19-2018, 11:47 AM
thanks for the review. I have seen two types of photo ops. One with a backdrop of the Wakanda skyline, and another with him right next to a door. It was not clear whether these both were at DCA or only one and the other was at WDW. Which picture backdrop did you get?

candles71
02-19-2018, 12:41 PM
thanks for the review. I have seen two types of photo ops. One with a backdrop of the Wakanda skyline, and another with him right next to a door. It was not clear whether these both were at DCA or only one and the other was at WDW. Which picture backdrop did you get? As of the announcement I saw this morning there isn't one at WDW. People were unhappy, per the usual. ;)

cstephens
02-19-2018, 07:53 PM
thanks for the review. I have seen two types of photo ops. One with a backdrop of the Wakanda skyline, and another with him right next to a door. It was not clear whether these both were at DCA or only one and the other was at WDW. Which picture backdrop did you get?

The door.