PDA

View Full Version : Snow White soft opening schedule for Tues and Wed:

Pages : [1] 2

AVP
02-09-2004, 07:19 PM
4:15 pm and 6:00 pm Tuesday and Wednesday this week.

See some of you there!

AVP

DJ_MENTOS
02-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Of course soft openings are always subject to change, but what is the chances of them actually performing? Is it pretty likely?

Thanks in advance,
DJ_MENTOS

AVP
02-09-2004, 09:12 PM
It's likely until they don't. Sorry - "everything is subject to change w/o notice."

AVP

BornieoTheLoveBug
02-09-2004, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the info. Hope to be there for the Tues. show.

AVP
02-10-2004, 06:57 PM
The 4:15 show was held today, but it was limited to invited cast members and VIPs only.

The 6:00 show was opened to the public, and they actually did a park-wide announcement about it.

Photos tomorrow or Thursday.

AVP

SoCalDisneyLover
02-10-2004, 07:34 PM
Any idea about shows this Saturday yet? They're doing a show that day for the package. Might it be opened to the public if the theater is not filled?

cemeinke
02-10-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by AVP
Photos tomorrow or Thursday.

AVP

So did you like it or did it suck?

BornieoTheLoveBug
02-10-2004, 08:40 PM
Just got back from the 6:00 show.
Set's were great, Magic Mirror was great, music was good. I understand that many of the effects haven't been fined tuned and the demise of the Wicked Queen wasn't "all there." The train arriving nearby was a bit of a distraction. Hopefully there is a way to mute that in the future.
Never really been a big Snow White fan, so it was hi ho, ho hum for me. I think those who are into it will really enjoy it. The crowd gave a standing ovation.

DJ_MENTOS
02-10-2004, 09:05 PM
The standing ovation was unnecessary, in my opinion. The sets and mirror are great, but the plot is not there. The dwarves are not really funny, like the movie. The show was not cute like the movie. It was too upscale for a theme park, if they geared it for kids, it would be better. None of the characters really made an impression on you.
It either needs a lot of story/plot change or it needs to be longer. Pacing is off trememdously.
BTW, Anne Hamberger was there to introduce the show, as it was the first show to the public.
Your thoughts?

-DJ_MENTOS

GoldenEars
02-10-2004, 10:39 PM
Over all, I thought the show was good and once they get all the tweaking done, it should be better! I kept telling myself it was a *soft opening* or dress rehearsal, so of course, it wasn't going to be the best. But here are my thoughts on more specific things about the show...

#1. The actress playing SW was very good. She had a beautiful voice and look, and did an excellent job in her character.

#2. The stage/sets were very creative and well put together, however, I didn't find much variety in them. I realize the whole show is supposed to be set in the woods, but it all looked the same to me.

#3. I liked the animals and their costumes, but they didn't always seem to fit in during certain parts of the show.

#4. The evil Queen was good, but she over did it a bit. Infact, at one point in the show, I heard people laughing at the way she way portraying her character.

#5. The old hag was quite interesting looking, cuz it looked like her face was gold (perhaps in honor of Disneyland's 50th, LOL!).
But I liked how the actress portrayed her.

#6. Even tho I know the story of Snow White, I felt the plot and story lines were not smooth enough. It was way too choppy and moved too fast.

#7. And what's up with the Prince? I felt his character was out of place, cuz they didn't fit him in very well. It was almost like they just threw him onstage just to show he was there.

#8. The 7 dwarfs were rather cute looking and did not have the appearance of the old pixies in Light Magic, thank God! They did their best to be comical but not sure it worked too well. But for the most part, I thought their costumes/make up were tastefully done. One thing tho, it looked like the guy playing Grumpy was a black or dark skinned guy, while the others were white. Not that it matters, just interesting.

#9. And there was no white horse in the finale, so I'm not sure what happened there. And speaking of the finale, I thought it was weak. The audience didn't seem to catch on that it was ending and the the cast seemed a little uncomfortable at that point in the show.

#10. But the main thing I was shocked at, was the soundtrack to *A Whole New World* being played after the show. People were leaving and I saw faces of confusion when they heard that music. Why on earth would they choose that as the ending or walk out song?

Anyway, those are just a few of my major thoughts on the show. I'm sure it'll get better once they tweak it correctly. As much as I'm thrilled a new *real* stage show is at that theatre, I wish they would have created a new show in honor of Disneyland's 50th anniversary! For those of you who remember, they did that with Disneyland's 25th and 30th anniversary...it was called, *Disneyland Is Your Land*. In today's standards, it's probably a very chessy (no pun intended) show. But I loved it, cuz it had a lot of real dancing and singing, and set/costume changes!

But hey, it's 2004, not 1980/1985, so I'll let it go, LOL! I'm just happy Disney gave us a real show again. I'm curious to hear all the other reviews from other MousePad readers on this show.
I'll be there tomorrow to see it again!

Let's hope *Snow* stays for awhile at Disneyland!

Patrick:D

ToursbabeC3po
02-10-2004, 11:05 PM
I am so excited to take my Daughter and son there for the cast premeire on friday.....My daughter loves musicals! She watches the Aladin show over and over and over again. I have no Ideal how yall find out all this stuff. Shoot I work there and I have no ideal when the soft openings are LOL.

brad73
02-11-2004, 06:01 AM
Any word/update if the "soft opening" is scheduled to continue Wednesday afternoon? I would love to take a trip to check it out today!

cutiepie
02-11-2004, 09:32 AM
Thanks for all the info-sounds like it was pretty good:) I'm excited to go! So what about Patrick Stewart, was he good too?

Hey also guys-wanted to make sure I passed along this fun link to the disney site for those who haven't seen it yet!

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/special/snow

AVP
02-11-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by brad73
Any word/update if the "soft opening" is scheduled to continue Wednesday afternoon? I would love to take a trip to check it out today! There are supposed to be two shows today, 4:15 and 6. But PLEASE believe me - they can cancel these things at the drop of a hat. I would hate for you to make a special trip but not get to see it.

AVP

brad73
02-11-2004, 11:21 AM
Thanks AVP...a big help as always. I think we are going to chance it and make a trip!

Sheila
02-11-2004, 11:38 AM
Perhaps I missed reading it in AVP's wonderful story, but what happened to the key plot point of why the Queen sends Snow away?

Isn't the big reason Snow White is sent away is because the Queen is jealous of her beauty? You know, the "fairest in all the land" bit. Why did they change it to the Queen not wanting the Prince as a new son-in-law?

Jes' wonderin'....

Sheila

AVP
02-11-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Sheila
Perhaps I missed reading it in AVP's wonderful story, but what happened to the key plot point of why the Queen sends Snow away?

Isn't the big reason Snow White is sent away is because the Queen is jealous of her beauty? You know, the "fairest in all the land" bit. Why did they change it to the Queen not wanting the Prince as a new son-in-law?

Jes' wonderin'....

Sheila I was shooting and scribbling so fast, I probably glossed over this. While Snow White is flirting with the Prince, the Queen is doing her "Who's the Fairest of them All?" bit with the mirror. He replies, you are - for now, and draws her attention to the escapades in the forest. It seems the twinkle in Snow White's eye caused by the admiration of the Prince has made HER the fairest of them all, which ticks off the Queen. There is some snippet of dialogue about how love has changed Snow White - I'd have a better idea of what was actually said if SOMEONE would unborrow my digital recorder! :p

So she orders Snow White killed. They don't get into the part where the hunter kills an animal and returns it's heart in the box instead of Snow White. In fact, there is no box at all - the Queen just hands him a knife.

When the hunter approaches Snow White, she says something about "You aren't hunting, are you - these animals are my friends!" He tells her that he is hunting - for her - and actually raises the knife to strike her until he has his change of heart.

Frankly, I was waiting for one of the forest critters to offer his own life - and heart - to save Snow White, but they just didn't go there.

While Snow White is hiding with the Dwarfs, the Queen does the Magic Mirror bit again. He replies, "You aren't going to like this" and tells her that Snow White is still alive. So she goes after her.

Again, I was more focused on photos and less on plot and review. I'll leave that for whomever covers the opening.

AVP

Sheila
02-11-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by AVP
Frankly, I was waiting for one of the forest critters to offer his own life - and heart - to save Snow White, but they just didn't go there.

LOL! The part of the forest critter will be played by Bruce Willis; the hunter - Ben Affleck. ;)

I'd have a better idea of what was actually said if SOMEONE would unborrow my digital recorder!

::whistling nervously:: :D

Thanks very much for the clarification -- I was terrified that Hamburger et al. had decided to "improve" the story. :eek:

I'm looking forward to seeing the show.

Sheila

merlinjones
02-11-2004, 05:26 PM
From the article I got the impression that I'm Wishing and One Song had been replaced by Whistle While You Work out of order... that true?

AVP
02-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
From the article I got the impression that I'm Wishing and One Song had been replaced by Whistle While You Work out of order... that true? Whistle comes before I'm Wishing and One Song, and then again when she's in the cottage.

Like I said, I was really concentrating on photos, and less on storyline. I regret any confusion or inaccuracies.

AVP

sediment
02-11-2004, 06:09 PM
I thought it was a good summary, AVP.
A 70-minute film squeezed into 15 minutes (20 minutes)? I was very skeptical of B&TB at MGM when I saw it, but the acting and the staging truly made up for it. And the pre-show made the wait worth it. Can't remember the act's name.

DisneyFreak2000
02-11-2004, 07:29 PM
I just saw it today.

The show is positively beautiful. It's gorgeously done, the sets, costumes and effects, everything is magnificent. The Magic Mirror and Evil Queen Change effects were amazing.

Snow White was very talented as was the Prince (you'd never think that voice would come from him), the Queen is also excellent. The dwarves didn't really have a role. They weren't to be taken seriously, but they weren't funny. I assume that the reason they weren't too funny was because they don't know what gags work in front of an audience yet. By the real opening, I'm sure they'll get it.

See the show, that's all I have to say. It's very magical, almost entrancing. And, as said before, gorgeous. I only found two problems with the show.

Why is the Evil Queen's face gold? That just bugged me. I'm not sure what the costume choice was there.

Second, the finale showers pink confetti (petal shaped) on the audience and half the people in the audience were looking at it that they missed the ending. Very distracting, but I suppose there's nothing they can do about it.

It's a good show. It's very artsy though not aimed too much at kids (though the ones I noticed in the audience were super impressed) and I'm glad the theater's not going to waste any more. Would I go back and see the show each visit? Probably not, just because Snow White's a boring plot and music, thus not too much of an interesting musical. Nonetheless, it is a very good show and I reccomend seeing it.

Snow White, Pocahontas and Beauty and the Beast have taken the stage here (Aladdin across the way). When will they create a Mermaid or Hercules show? Now we know they have the effects for it.

Davideo
02-12-2004, 09:20 AM
Today's the first day I've been able to get out there...has anyone heard of any soft opening shows today?

AVP
02-12-2004, 09:55 AM
I have not heard about any shows for Thursday, and I'm pretty sure the Friday showings are Cast Member-only.

You might be able to catch the show on Saturday.

AVP

cutiepie
02-12-2004, 10:22 AM
thanks for passing all the great info along! Found these this morning for those of us who are dying to see the show:) These are great-

http://www.mouseinfo.com/showupdate.php?id=20040211&page=3