PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment end of Oct.

dshimel
10-08-2001, 08:32 AM
I arrive at DLR on Oct 25th (Thur) late, and leave the 28th (Sun).

So, since I won't be in the parks Mon-Thur, I don't get to see Eurika. Fantasmic is closed, as is the stage show in DCA. It will be Anamazement's final weekend, so probably over crowded.

Last time I was in DL was '93.

What won't be in DL that was there in '93:
20,000 Leagues
People Mover
Circle Vision
Mission to Mars
Fantasmic
Country Bears
Old Astro Orbiter
Captain EO
Show in Fantasyland Theatre
Night parade in DL (though it has moved across the way)
[Did I miss anything?]

What has been added to DL:
New Astro Orbiter
Innoventions (that I wouldn't go near)
Honey, IStA (saw at WDW and preferred Capt. EO)
[Did I miss anything?]

With the 4 things I'm looking forward to in DCA (GRR, Screamin', Soarin', and Animation), looks to be about an even swap. Eight Classics that oooze Disney traded for less than a handful of decent attractions. I'll probably check out Bugs, though I just saw it at WDW last year.

Add in that Matterhorn, Mr. Toad, and Peter Pan will be closed, and I'm pretty bummed. I just hope the Splash rehab Al spoke of is off for a bit.

Maybe I really need to call the airline and see if I can change those tickets to Orlando. I've never been to IOA and it seems like a much better destination at this tme.

DisneylandKid
10-08-2001, 08:40 AM
You forgot about Indiana Jones Adventure. That opened in '95, and is DEFINITELY something to check out. Also, I'm not sure if when you went Toontown was open, and Roger Rabbit (if I remember correctly) opened in '94...that's pretty good as well. The Swiss Family Treehouse was transformed into Tarzan's Treehouse...if you have time check that out. Also, Autopia was redone in 2000. It is a BIG improvement from the old one, and if you have kids, I would recommend paying a visit to it. And...as far as I know...that is pretty much it, besides some minor changes in other attractions (rehabs).

dshimel
10-08-2001, 08:50 AM
Hmmm. Maybe I had the year wrong. I was in SoCal in '93 and I know I went to DL. I was back in SoCal in '95, but I thought I had skipped DL that time.

The last time I was in DL was the year Indianna Jones opened. Whatever year that was, was the last time I've been to DL.

JRob2k1
10-08-2001, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by dshimel
The last time I was in DL was the year Indianna Jones opened. Whatever year that was, was the last time I've been to DL.

-JRob

Nigel2
10-08-2001, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by dshimel

What won't be in DL that was there in '93:
20,000 Leagues
Mission to Mars
Old Astro Orbiter
[Did I miss anything?]

I think you mean the sub voyage 20k leauges was gone I think,
Was mission to Mars still open then? I cant remember. They were called rocket jets just to claify. Would Rocket Rods count since they were here and gone before you even arrived?
I don't remember but was Roger Rabit's cartoon spin open yet since TT opend up before it was complete. And of course the makeover for NBC.

dshimel
10-09-2001, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Nigel2

I think you mean the sub voyage 20k leauges was gone I think,

I checked Yesterland and found this:
"Finally, in September 1998, the Submarine Voyage carried its last passenger."

So yes, sub voiyage was open in 1995.

Was mission to Mars still open then? I cant remember.

Again, Yesterland to the rescue. "In 1975, the show was again updated, this time as Mission to Mars. The attraction closed permanently in 1992."

Having grown up in LA, I'd been to Mission to Mars many, many times. Didn't realize it had closed the last time I was there. Got to love those high tech special effects (seat dropping an inch to give you the since of acceleration). ;-)

They were called rocket jets just to claify.

How could I forget! Everytime my dad walked past them he'd get upset. "Are they rockets, or are they jets? Does anyone know the difference?" My dad worked for the space program, and this name really bothered him.

Would Rocket Rods count since they were here and gone before you even arrived?

I don't think so. The point was comparing DL of today to DL of 6 years ago. Rocket Rods were there at neither time. ;-)

I don't remember but was Roger Rabit's cartoon spin open yet since TT opend up before it was complete. And of course the makeover for NBC.

I don't know about Roger Rabit. I can't remember if it was there or not.

Morrigoon
10-09-2001, 09:49 PM
Yes, by all means do not forget the NBC makeover of mansion, it's amazing! I don't know when (or if?) they're going to close down Small world for its holiday makeover.... hopefully soon, though I doubt we'll see it till the beginning of November. But you never know.