PDA

View Full Version : With recent news in mind... I made a new nametag for myself

Rustin
02-09-2004, 01:07 PM
http://www.disneyweb.net/nametag_small.png

Mod note: img tags removed because the file is bigger than the 20KB max allowed for inline images. AK

JeffG
02-09-2004, 01:37 PM
What are you embarrassed about? Did you do something wrong on the job?

-Jeff

Rustin
02-09-2004, 01:57 PM
No, just with all Eisner's blunders, and devaluing of the brand. Guests ask about company happenings all the time and I'm sometimes embarrassed to have to "justify" actions of other business units.

I love what I do so much, it's a shame I have to answer questions like "why doesn't Disney make good movies anymore", or "what's with all the sequels? can't you guys just leave the good movies alone and make new ones?"

Though what I do is seemingly un-related to feature animation or multi-million dollar contract negotiation, all Disney cast members and employees have to answer to consumers of the Disney brand.

sediment
02-09-2004, 02:05 PM
No, you don't have to answer those questions. If you don't know the answer, be truthful and say, "I don't know."

Perhaps your job is "The Answerer"? If not, don't act as if you are.

If you're in the park, try to stay in character of wherever you are stationed. "I'm not in charge of that, but if you could stay behind the rope so you don't get run over by a float, I would appreciate it (and later we can bag on Eisner!)."
Be like Maynard. He'd never answer questions like that.

Rustin
02-09-2004, 02:16 PM
The point is not answering questions... The point is that Disney was built based on cirtain values, and they seem to be eroding. Look at all the news (http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&edition=us&q=disney&btnG=Search+News). Every day there is more stories of Disney Company management MIS-Managing. I don't care about answering questions. The point is I shouldn't have to. I am proud to entertain and create magic every day. But I am with Roy & Stan (http://www.savedisney.com), some changes have gotta happen soon.

sediment
02-09-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Rustin
I don't care about answering questions. The point is I shouldn't have to.
Then, don't answer questions.
"Sorry, I'm too busy having fun at Disneyland!"
(This won't work if you happen to work at DCA. People will know you're lying.)

Regardless, you're preaching to the choir here. Perhaps a rant at the AP holders who keep bugging you everyday about things you're not responsible for?

I'll do it for you:
Hey AP holders: stop bugging the CMs about the hapless mismanagement of a cast member eight+ levels above that CM!! Enjoy your fricken' day at Disneyland!! Your enjoyment should not require making some CM squirm about Eisner!!

Another question: How do you feel about Cast Member Matt? If positive, then spin every general DIS (multi-billion dollar company)question around to: "Well, I don't know about Pixar, but Cast Member Matt is turning Disneyland around, slowly, but surely!"

(I'm just trying to imagineer some answers for you.)

Rustin
02-09-2004, 02:36 PM
I think your only partially understanding my point. It has nothing to do with having to answer questions. I am glad to speak to guests about whatever they bring up, and I'm perfectly capable of it.

Nobody is bugging me, AP or not.

I'm talking about the bigger picture.

TwinGemII
02-09-2004, 02:46 PM
I understood you instantly Rustin- Cool Tag!

People just tend to really "read into things" WWWAAAYYYY to much! Especially on this website!

Seriously people! Calm down, take a deep breathe...the guy created a new name tag reading "embarrassed". EMBARRASSED ABOUT THE GENERAL PICTURE ABOUT EVERYTHING....EVERYTHING GOING ON AT DISNEY LAND! GEEZ...

;) Don't worry Rustin, I got your back! Keep up the good work!

Rustin
02-09-2004, 02:49 PM
*sigh* I'm glad you showed up. :-)

TwinGemII
02-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Trust me Rustin-

The entire Industry has your back...we're all embarrassed!!

:D

sediment
02-09-2004, 03:03 PM
The bigger picture will be resolved very soon.
As soon as Eisner can get a parachute approved. Ain't going nowhere otherwise.

Of course, now I don't understand why you bothered to post, if you can handle all the questions. So you're embarrassed, but you do it nonetheless without problem. Tough luck.
You're right, I do not understand.

justagrrl
02-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Feeling a little surly today sediment? ;)

I think that trying to make excuses for an employer is an unpleasant spot to be in.

I'm not so sure how I'd feel as a consumer if I got a quick "I don't know" and the CM was off on their way. That seems a bit gruff, don't you think?

cstephens
02-09-2004, 03:45 PM
I work for a company that produces a range of products. I am not directly responsible for any of the product, though some of the product is generated out of my actual company and some is generated by sister companies. I don't pretend to be proud of everything my company generates, but I also don't feel the need to apologize for it. Some people have chosen to question me about some of the product, and my response is, "I have nothing to do with that." Granted, your response can't quite be the same, but I don't see why it can't be a nicer form of that. "I'm sorry, I don't know anything about that" is a perfectly acceptable answer, and anyone looking for a better answer from you is having unreasonable expectations, imo.

If my company was ever involved in anything that I seriously objected to, I would consider finding a different company to work for.

Cadaverous Pallor
02-09-2004, 03:53 PM
I'm so sorry you're so down, Rustin! Perhaps it will make you feel better knowing that there are still many of us that believe in the magic? That there are thousands of us rooting for the powers of good? And that one day, one GLORIOUS day, things will be better? I'm staying positive. I'm sure it can be exceedingly hard for you, being personally involved in the company, but keep your chin up!

This is going to have a fairy tale ending. I can feel it. :)

sediment
02-09-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
Feeling a little surly today sediment? ;)
I think that trying to make excuses for an employer is an unpleasant spot to be in.
I'm not so sure how I'd feel as a consumer if I got a quick "I don't know" and the CM was off on their way. That seems a bit gruff, don't you think?

A bit like one of the Duff Drunken Dwarfs, yes.

If it's a question like, "Where's the nearest restroom?" I think that's something every CM at DL should know, and should answer honestly.
A question like, "Why did Eisner screw up the Pixar deal?" is not something every CM knows, nor should one opine on the subject.

Besides, I was trying to provide alternatives to gruff. Rusty didn't want help. Just venting, I guess. (Gruff would be my way. Which is why I don't qualify for CM positions.)