PDA

View Full Version : Club 33 To Close

Pages : [1] 2

pfitzsi
05-01-2001, 01:57 PM
I saw this on the net. Can anyone confirm it?

CLUB 33 TO CLOSE

Reuters reports that Disneyland is to close the exclusive Club 33 this July. Paul Pressler of Walt Disney Attractions made the announcement recently, saying "the need to keep the Disney theme park division at the cutting edge of the entertainment industry." and went on to say "The elitest pomp of Club 33 simply does not fit into our vision of the new Disneyland." Pressler said that the club may be used for a future attraction or restaurant in the future.

If this is true, it's just another example of how little respect Pressler has for Disneyland traditions.

-Patrick

lisap
05-01-2001, 02:06 PM
oh boy, that would be a sad thing :(
Not that I get to go to 33 often (actually only once in my life) but just knowing that a place like that is there and that someday I may get to go back is what makes DL always new to me.
What, do they need another beanie baby store? Come on!
:confused: :mad: :(

Doodle Duck
05-01-2001, 02:07 PM
Reuters...well not much confirmation needed if they reported it. The best of the best at work there.

Well...that about fries it. Cutting edge? hahaha! Elitest Pomp???????????????????Who or what the hell does this guy think he is?
Elitest???????? Club 33?
So all the Presidents..and Heads Of State and friends of the company (and me) are ELITEST? All the folks I know who PAID to get there, who dreamed of being in there, willing to either pay for the best or be invited as a thankyou???
Elitest.

What is elitest is the 'Hamburger' crap over at the Hyperion that no body gets as entertainment.
What is elitest is a Hotel room for 2 that costs more than a monthly budget for most families.

That does it for me. I thought this guy was a joke before. What a Maroon.

I am obviously not a fan of what DL is becomming. So..I'll post on the non DL Topics...so I don't foul the air of you Magic Kingdomites who still believe.
I appologize, but I just lost that last vestige. I have my countless wonderful memories.
See ya at Knott's.

Doodle Duck out.

Elitest Pomp? That little twerp.

adriennek
05-01-2001, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by pfitzsi
I saw this on the net. Can anyone confirm it?

CLUB 33 TO CLOSE

Reuters reports that Disneyland is to close the exclusive Club 33 this July.

What's the URL where you read this?

I won't believe it until I see the actually report with a reuters byline on a legit news site, personally.

Of course, wouldn't we have heard a rumor, first, by now? ;)

Adrienne K

blusilva
05-01-2001, 02:25 PM
I've run "Paul Pressler" and "Club 33" through three search engines that scour current Reuters stories and have come up with nothing that confirms this.

I also did a general wire search covering UPI and AP and found nothing.

Anyone else have any luck?

blusilva

Lani
05-01-2001, 02:40 PM
Okay, I've checked the Reuters' Web site and cannot find any mention of it anywhere, including at its company stock profile page for DIS (Disney) (http://www.reuters.com/quote.jhtml?ticker=DIS&_requestid=399813). If you read it anywhere, please post a URL to the story or I'm going to assume this is one of those "Don't believe everything you read on the Intenet" dealies.

SpazRobot
05-01-2001, 02:54 PM
Whatever dude. Think about it first.

Do you really think that anyone in any position of importance at Disney would ever speak this negatively of the parks? It hasn't happened before, and I don't expect it to start now.

Suggesting that the company's flagship operation harbors "elitest pomp" is rediculous. Any official word from Pressler to this effect would never have made it through Disney's PR in such a form.

Whoever posted this message originally (not you, pfitzsi) is clearly a bit miffed that they've been excluded from Club 33's member roster. I don't think anyone should be at all concerned about what appears to be the latest rumor.

merlinjones
05-01-2001, 03:03 PM
I believe that Club 33 posting was a prank post from alt.disney.disneyland last week and was dismissed by those in the know over there.

pheneix
05-01-2001, 03:11 PM
This was a lie from a complete idiot over at ADD. Don't believe it for a second. Come to think of it, don't believe anything that comes from that dumpster. (Yep, you can tell I have an ax to grind with that joint, I have never seen such a bunch of ill-mannered retards in my life. "**** you! Go to **** you fat ****!" Please, they even call themselves a "Disney Fangroup"?)

Pheneix

Alex S.
05-01-2001, 03:16 PM
I can confirm having seen this posted over on USENET (came up while I was doing a search to confirm a MouseAdventure question) and it was quickly dismissed as a hoax over there.

While we don't always get the story early at MousePlanet (or even necessarily immediately) I think I can assure you that if something as major as Club 33 closing had been announced, we would have been brought to our attention.

Doodle Duck
05-01-2001, 03:21 PM
Just goes to show how close to the edge of giving up on Disney I've gotten...ansd how little faith I have in this bunch.
'Twerp' will do till proven otherwise.
Post still stands..see ya in the Lounge.

pheneix
05-01-2001, 03:24 PM
Just goes to show how close to the edge of giving up on Disney

I have given up. Until Eisner is gone, I am never putting 100% trust in Disney again. :(

Pheneix

karl
05-01-2001, 05:36 PM
I'd be really surprised to see them tamper with Club 33.

If there is any image problem with running a private club on Disney property, its confined only to the relative few who even know what is up on the second floor of New Orleans Square.

I doubt most regular visitors are aware of it, or at best may have heard the "legend" somewhere.

Has to be a non-issue image-wise.

-- Karl

ODV CM
05-01-2001, 07:52 PM
I know two people who work there, and neither one knows a thing about this. Plus, think about it, Club 33 has to make double the money than all the other restuants in the park combined. Its $2,000 a year just to belong, and then around $500 for dinner. Surely there's no way they can be that stupid, right? I mean, when it comes to making money, isn't that what Eisner and Pressler do best?

pfitzsi
05-02-2001, 05:21 AM
The url is:

http://www.themeparks.com/dland/dlnews.htm

They've been very accurate in the past which is why I came here for verification.

-Patrick

Doodle Duck
05-02-2001, 07:30 AM
I E-mailed Gary over at Themeparks.com. We'll see what he comes up with.

$500 for dinner?

Wow. I've only eaten there as a guest of Disney (Pre-E)..it was great. But a half a G?

Interesting aside: Back in 1981, my late great buddy Clarance Nash had told me he had never been to 33..was never invited. (!!!) Those of you who know that name will no doubt be surprised.
Through a connection, I was able to get him and Marge in as guests.

adriennek
05-02-2001, 10:18 AM
How many people did a $500 dinner feed? From my experiences and those of my friends, I don't know anyone who paid that much for a dinner for two....

Adrienne K

Dlandmom
05-02-2001, 11:26 AM
$500 can't be right, unless there was lot of alcohol consumed!

Lunch is about $47 right now. Last I heard, dinner was running about $100 per person when you include a drink, dessert, etc. $500 must've been for maybe 4 people, or maybe there was a special dinner going on.

Anyhow, I'll be bummed if Club 33 closes. Yes, it's expensive, but it's also a really nice restaurant with nice atmosphere and good service. Plus, it's a really nice way to break up the day at Disneyland.

Wish I could afford to be a member....

lisap
05-02-2001, 11:45 AM
I heard that the only way one could become a member, even if you had the dough, was for someone on the waiting list to "pass on" and get your name moved up on the waiting list. My connection through a connection said he had to wait seven years on the waiting list...... Don't know if it's true! I'm so far away from the horses mouth anything could be true.

blusilva
05-02-2001, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by DoodleDuck(A.E)
Interesting aside: Back in 1981, my late great buddy Clarance Nash had told me he had never been to 33..was never invited. (!!!) Those of you who know that name will no doubt be surprised.
Through a connection, I was able to get him and Marge in as guests.

How cool is that?!

Very!

blusilva

ODV CM
05-02-2001, 08:38 PM
That was $500 per table for dinner. Sorry for the confusion.

Gauchograd99
05-03-2001, 08:23 PM
ANYONE who knew Clarence "Ducky" Nash is impressive to me and should be allowed to write whatever here and apply for CEO of Disney. :)

Doodle Duck
05-04-2001, 04:55 AM
Clarence was THE Essence of Disney, and the nicest, sweetest man you could ever run into. Someday when I have the time, I'll tell you a story. But for now, this is ONE person who's memory you can feel good about keeping. Ducky was the best.

Mandrake Linux
06-21-2001, 06:46 PM
What I do not get is: Why is this place so expensive? I know its a club and such, but a few bites of some food for half a grand? Sounds like a total rip off. Out of all the places Taco Bell gives you the most chow for $10. But $500? Amazing!

Morrigoon
06-21-2001, 10:50 PM
ACDC:

Truly good food costs money. It's not just a "oh this tastes good, let's charge a fortune" thing. Quality beef is expensive (beef that's tender and well-marbled, which means the fat is evenly spread throughout the meat, which enhances flavor). Spices are expensive (do you have any idea how many acres of saffron flowers it takes to get a pound of the spice? Ever see the price of a single vanilla bean in a spice jar?) A restaurant like that most likely uses butter as a cooking fat, not cheap oils or shortening (in areas where butter is the best choice). I could go on and on... but suffice it to say, food cost alone will be higher in a gourmet type restaurant just based on the ingredients they used. Now consider food cost (the ingredients only) is about 1/3 of the consumer cost of the average meal. So for every extra dollar in ingredients, there's $3 to the consumer. Then of course, there's the staff, the laundry (linens), POWER, water, etc.

Your taco bell gives you a couple tablespoons (if you're lucky) of meat product on each whole item. Now consider that that "meat" is more lard and grain than it is meat. Wrap some nice cheap starch (tortilla) around that, and voila! Fake food. It has its place of course, but a really nice meal once or twice a year (depending on finances, maybe more) is worth the $50 apiece.

There used to be a great restaurant on top of the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion (LA Music Center). It had a great view and a live harpist playing. I wonder if it's still there (Haven't been since Michael Crawford was playing Phantom... yikes!)