PDA

View Full Version : Premium Parking?

Pages : [1] 2

Moonliner
02-08-2004, 04:33 PM
I've seen this issue touched upon in several threads but never really explained.

What's the deal with premium parking? Is it right in front of the main gate? If not do they have special bus/tram/whatevers...

In terms of getting OUT of the park at the end of the day and back on the freeway what's the best place to park on the way in? Premium, somewhere else?

Thanks for any tips.

Andrew
02-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Premium parking ceased to exist when the old lot was closed. It used to be the section closest to the main park entrance.

Moonliner
02-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Ahhh, I see. Well that would explain why I could not find much info on it.

Soooo on to part-B:

Are all lots now bus to gate or can you still get a reasonably short walk?

Is one lot better than the others for getting back out to the freeway again?

Thanks.

adriennek
02-08-2004, 05:04 PM
There are two options: Tram or walk.

This column (http://www.mouseplanet.com/akrock/ak010829.htm) details how to walk the most direct route from the Mickey & Friends Parking Structure. It's about a 1/2 mile long walk.

You could also walk straight across the street from the parking structure, south towards the Disneyland Hotel and then down (east) through Downtown Disney. This would be a much longer, out of your way route, but if you wanted to see Downtown Disney on the way to or from your car, you can do it.

The tram is probably faster in the mornings. In the evenings, depending on how long the lines for the trams are, it could be faster to walk the 1/2 mile route.

Adrienne

Cadaverous Pallor
02-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Steve0
Is one lot better than the others for getting back out to the freeway again? Are you comparing the structure with the Lion King lot(s)? I haven't parked in Timon in years - ever since the first time I was sent all the way from the Disney Way entrance over to the structure.

But I can tell you that if you want to get on the 5 freeway when leaving, the structure can't be beat. If you happen to be in the correct lane you can take the flyover ramp which crosses Ball and hop right onto the fwy entrances. If you're not in the correct lane or the flyover is closed, simply go straight, crossing Ball, and there are the very same on-ramps the flyover leads you to.

newhdplayer
02-09-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
Premium parking ceased to exist when the old lot was closed. It used to be the section closest to the main park entrance.

Back when we were yuppies, we loved Premium Parking, and felt really privileged when able to park in front, unlike the unwashed masses who were guided to nehter regions of the parking lot.

It was definitely worth it. And certainly appealed to my elitist outlook.

MotorBoat Cruiser
02-10-2004, 05:03 PM
We usually eat at downtown Disney so what we do is plan our dinner about 4-5 hours before we plan to leave the park. We then run over to the Mickey and Friends structure, grab the car, and head over to Downtown Disney parking. On a good night, you can park really close to the Monorail station. So then, after we enjoy our dinner, we ride the monorail into Disneyland and likewise, take the monorail out of tomorrowland right back to the car. Since we eat downtown, through parking validation, we are able to park in DTD parking for free.

It is so nice, after a long day of walking, to just jump on the monorail inside the park and have t practicaly take us to our car.

MotorBoat Cruiser
02-10-2004, 05:05 PM
Um, that should have read...

"and practically have it take us right to our car"

Preview is so under-rated :)

sediment
02-10-2004, 05:12 PM
So is the edit button.

Moonliner
02-10-2004, 05:16 PM
Thanks for all the help!

I finally found a map of the parking lots:

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/transportation/index

From that it looks like SE part of Pinocchio is closest to the main gate. So let me guess there is some big fence that makes you go out the NE corner, or Pinocchio does not open first thing in the morning? It's only for buses? You have to be a member of the Mousepad Losers Club to park there? I'm sure there is something...

EandCDad
02-10-2004, 05:23 PM
The Pinocchio lot is attached to the main structure and is parked in conjunction with the structure. You can't generally just park there unless they are parking it when you arrive. They also park oversize vehicles there (I think.) You could ask and see what they say. I've never done that, they might say yes.

If you do get parked in that lot, there is an exit that allows you to walk over to DTD and on to the gate. However, unless the trams are very crowded, it's probably faster to walk over to the tram and take the tram to the main gate.

MotorBoat Cruiser
02-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by sediment
So is the edit button.

I see. :) On many boards that I frequent, this feature is disabled. I never even thought to check. Thanks for the tip.

Moonliner
02-10-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by EandCDad
They also park oversize vehicles there (I think.)

I knew it had to be someting. I suppose it would be a bit excessive to rent myself a bus for the day....

My current plans include a visit to DL over the excessivly crowded spring break period so I'm looking for the best way to exit the park at the end of the day. I'm sure the trams will be packed so my thought was walking might be faster.

Guess I'll just have to put on my best goofy-grin and deal with it. No chance of a fastpass for the tram I suppose :(

EandCDad
02-11-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Steve0
I knew it had to be someting. I suppose it would be a bit excessive to rent myself a bus for the day....

Just to try to be as clear as possible. They do park non-oversize vehicles in the Pinocchio lot also. I think this is primarily on busy days. However, when you get there, they might be parking the third level of the structure and that is where you will be sent. You can, possibly, ask to park in Pinocchio, they may allow it, although they may not.

I wish Uncle Dick would read this thread and comment as he used to work parking, if I remember correctly.

Forbin
02-11-2004, 09:20 AM
Doesn't Disney have a $10 option for parking where you get to park in ChipnDale or Pinnochio? Versus the $8 roulette parking?

Here was my list of the best places to park

Pumbaa (When the bus was running) - Closest to the park, closest to get out.

Lion King - Was good to get in / out (but I haven't parked in Lion King since 2001 when I became an APer)

Structure - Good to get in, FASTEST to get out. HORRIBLE to walk to the trams.

Pinocchio - Very close to the trams, almost as fast to get in / out as structure.

ChipnDale - Slightly worse than Upper Structure for getting in / out but better for trams.

Downtown Disney Lots - I don't recommend them at all unless you are parked at the hotel.

cmpeter
02-12-2004, 03:45 PM
I have never seen a $10 parking option...just the regular $8 option. It seems we always end up in the Mickey and Friends lot...even if we come in and try and park in Lion King...it's closed and they route us around to M&F.

You will save a lot of time, if you plan to leave around 30 minutes before the park closes. If you wait until closing, you will spend at least 30 minutes waiting for the tram, getting to your parking level and then getting out of the structure. We stayed for the parade one weeknight and left when the park closed at 8:00 pm...it took us 45 minutes to get to the parking structure and out of it.

Forbin
02-12-2004, 04:52 PM
I have never seen a $10 parking option

When you pull up on the Structure there is a large sign right before the booths that take money.....2nd from the bottom is $10 Premium Parking.

MotorBoat Cruiser
02-12-2004, 05:24 PM
The Timon (Lion KIng) parking is only open on Saturday and Sunday. At least, that is what a parking lot attendant told us. If you get there early enough, you can pretty much park right where the tram picks up. It saves a lot of walking.

Not Afraid
02-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Forbin
When you pull up on the Structure there is a large sign right before the booths that take money.....2nd from the bottom is $10 Premium Parking.

I have never seen this either, and I've been in that parking structure at least 1000 times.

If it's there, it shows my fabulous observation skills.:rolleyes:

I have always had an AP with Parking, so it would never interest me anyway. I'll have to look tomorrow night.

Moonliner
02-12-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
I'll have to look tomorrow night.

Like a tram line at closing time this thread is suddenly jumping again.

Thanks for all the info even if at times it's somewhat conflicting.

I shall await Not Afraid's first hand report but please don't get asked to leave the structure for taking "inappropriate photos" :D

dlazechk
02-14-2004, 05:10 PM
christmas week we had no problems with tram waits when leaving after ther 11:00 fantasmic. at most, we had to wait for one tram but most we were able to walk straight onto the tram that was loading then. however, it was just the 2 of us so that may make some difference for you.

DivaPrincess
02-14-2004, 08:58 PM
If we have to park in the garage (we usually get a hotel right across the street) we just go on a ride right as the park is closing and then take our time wandering out of the park. By the time we get to the trams, there is usually no line. But, if you are in a hurry, but you want to wait until the park closes, then you could still just hang out on mainstreet for fifteen minutes instead of waiting in line.

Not Afraid
02-14-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Moonliner
I shall await Not Afraid's first hand report but please don't get asked to leave the structure for taking "inappropriate photos" :D

I DID see the sign. It is on a stand pretty much in front of the manned booths and it's blue with white text. I took a pic, but haven't downloaded it yet. :lazysmilie:

The sign says:

* Automobiles - $8

* Autos with Trailers. Campers, Recreational Vehicles & Limousines - $10

* Buses & Tractor Trailers - $15

So, there you have it. Straight from the photographic evidence.

No arrests were made while taking this photo.
:)

DisneyFan25863
02-14-2004, 10:18 PM
If you are directed to the structure, but don't want to take a long walk through the 2nd largest parking structure in the world (Did you know Tokyo Disneyland has the 3rd largest parking structure in the world? HaHaHa [thank you tram guide!]), try to get ALL the way to the leftmost lane that is open. You may be directed to the oversized vehicle parking lot, which is not as long a walk to the trams (unless it is full and you are put in the back...)

DopeyWife
02-18-2004, 03:11 PM
Here's a kind of random question. Do they charge you extra for parking if you went to the park in an RV or limo, but had an annual pass with parking included?? Someone asked me this, and I had never really thought about it.