PDA

View Full Version : Monorail News - Orange being permanently retired, more

Tony
02-08-2004, 01:55 PM
Cast members were notified this afternoon that Monorail Orange is going to be offically retired tomorrow. Word is that it is beyond repair. Blue was put into service yesterday and today, but was pulled again for mechanical difficulties.

As of this post, the Monorail system is currently one train: Monorail Red. There is no word if there will be formal retirement ceremony for Orange.

Cast Members are hearing that a new fleet may soon be under construction in Canada, but concerns are being expressed that the existing trains won't last until their arrival.

Kevy Baby
02-08-2004, 02:33 PM
What about Monorail Purple? Or am I hallucinating again?

imagineerhopeful
02-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Mono orange is still in station right now. I'll try to take some digi pics from level 2 of innoventions shortly. That is if it's still there AND if they wont ask me to delete them after taking it... seeing as though Orange is now "backstage material."

If I get them done i'll work on a way of posting them tonight when I arrive home, along with my pics of the animation building scaffolding work.

BTW:

ToT was testing 2 shafts today.:fez:

imagineerhopeful
02-08-2004, 02:42 PM
(According to a DD mono station CM, purp is in the docks in tatters. She heard that they were working on that mono currently... no word on how long it might take.)

With all of these failures, monorails are becomming more and more of a liability risk. Blue, red, and orange were pulled out just today.

Kevy Baby
02-08-2004, 02:47 PM
Maybe if all four Monorail trains die completely, they put Rocket Rods part deux in its place. :fez:

UncleGDogWord
02-08-2004, 03:00 PM
Tis is a sad state when the mass transport for tommorow is working on part from yestarday.

They should slap some monrail trucks on the under carrigage of the old People Mover cars and get themselves a new attraction.

The New and Improved:

PERSONAL MONORAIL

Kevy Baby
02-08-2004, 03:10 PM
I got another idea: put a flat roadway on the rail and get a bunch of Sedgeways.

AVP
02-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Kevy Baby
What about Monorail Purple? Or am I hallucinating again? Purple was pulled a while ago, and was supposed to receive the fabled new drive system. It's still in the roundhouse, and I don't know if any work has been done on it. From what I've been hearing, they've been desperately trying to get Blue running again before Orange died.

AVP

MonorailMan
02-08-2004, 04:54 PM
It only gets worse. :crying: :mad:

imagineerhopeful
02-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Blue came back on the track aroun 5:30-6 tonight. I couldn't tell if there were passengers but it made 2 or 3 visible cycles before i took the OCTA bus out. I don't know what the situation is but it really got to me today. The mono station was completely void of anyone, as well as the empty sub lagoon below. It looked VERY depressing.

Took a few pics... working on a way to put them up. Please bear with me.

Not Afraid
02-08-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by AVP
Purple was pulled a while ago, and was supposed to receive the fabled new drive system. It's still in the roundhouse, and I don't know if any work has been done on it. From what I've been hearing, they've been desperately trying to get Blue running again before Orange died.

AVP

Purple has been a parts shop for the other 3 monorails. It is most likely toast as well.

I'm sorry to hear about Orange, but that poor thing can barely get from stop to stop with a few e-stops. I knew it was going to go when Blue came on-line, but I'm not sure all of the issues with Blue have been solved. It's running on another drive system that uses more power than is available.

Good news about a new fleet, though. Let's hope this comes trhough.

Morrigoon
02-08-2004, 10:39 PM
The way I hear it, Bombardier was asked to bid on building new ones, and they turned down the opportunity. My guess is it's one or both of two possibilities:

1) They don't wanna be tied up building a teensy Disney fleet when they're trying to score the Seattle contract

2) They don't wanna deal with Disney (who has a history of not making final payment on stuff and other general poor business dealings)

Hyperboy
02-09-2004, 01:08 PM
"It's Monorail Blue, run for you lives, fools!" ... just doesn't have the same ring to it :(

Cadaverous Pallor
02-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Hmm, do I have anything orange I can wear to the park next time? :crying:

All things must pass away....if they aren't kept up to date! Those poor old workhorses. May Orange rest in peace. :(

Not Afraid
02-09-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
All things must pass away....if they aren't kept up to date! Those poor old workhorses. May Orange rest in peace. :(

At least we had the ride of our life the last time we rode, right?:crying:

disneydude
02-09-2004, 03:59 PM
According to Michael at Mouseinfo:

"I am back and wanted to share with you the good news. Monorail Orange is being taken off the line. It will be taken apart piece by piece and each piece will be inspected as well as documented. The Resort is going to replicate each part and re-build the Monorails...with Monorail Orange to tbe first one. If all goes well we will see a repaired fleet (and not patched). I do not have a time estimate on how long it will take, but these are the facts that are coming from the Resort."

Cadaverous Pallor
02-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
At least we had the ride of our life the last time we rode, right?:crying: :( <sniff> I didn't even think of that!

<sniffle>

:crying: Waaah! :crying:

disneydude, I hope "Michael" is right (I guess he's a respected source over there?) and Orange will be a link in the Monorail circle of life. :)

DisneyFan25863
02-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor

disneydude, I hope "Michael" is right (I guess he's a respected source over there?) and Orange will be a link in the Monorail circle of life. :)

He's the owner. I think he was the one who first spread the info on Buzz, if I am not mistaken. :|

PapiBear
02-09-2004, 06:01 PM
This is an absolute joke. I am BEYOND LIVID at this entire situation. ONE monorail train?!?!

I think it's time they just flat out CLOSED Disneyland, do a complete and total OVERHAUL of the place, and reopen in another 5 years or something. Back in the day they used to close the Park Mondays and Tuesdays, until some corporate dingaling decided it was "better for the bottom line" to stay open 7 days a week. Yeah, and then let maintenance go downhill. And then don't do business with your outside contractors fairly, particularly those contractors who you'll need again in the future. And gee whiz, we WONDER why we can't get the Park looking right again! Nice going, Eisner, ya idiot!

I say they need to just put Disneyland in mothballs for a few years, give themselves time to redesign it, make everything new again, fix everything that's broken, and be able to spend day and night doing it. Either that or just demolish the place. Disneyland was Walt's dream, and Eisner and company have just utterly urinated on Walt's dream and I am sick to death of seeing it continue to happen. First Feature Animation gets shafted, and now Disneyland. I see the DVDs that feature the Disneyland TV show and I'm reminded of better, happier days, when showmanship in the Disney style mattered, and the Park (not "the theme parks" but "The PARK", because there is and was always only ONE true and original Disneyland in the entire world) was the jewel in Walt's crown as King of Family Entertainment. And now it's just being treated like yet another corporate asset, one more revenue stream, just a money-earner, and one that doesn't need constant love and attention. They don't see the love and passion that was put into it, they only see dollar $ign$. And if it's not making a buck, they don't want to know about it. I say to Hades with them and that mindset! Disneyland is Walt's dream, a dream he gave the world, and it's encumbent upon the caretakers of the Disney legacy to TAKE CARE of Walt's dream, or let someone who WANTS to do the job do it, no matter how much money it may take!

This just gets me so very ANGRY that I want to wring some necks. :mad: How DARE they let this happen?!?

Mark Goldhaber
02-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
The way I hear it, Bombardier was asked to bid on building new ones, and they turned down the opportunity. My guess is it's one or both of two possibilities:

1) They don't wanna be tied up building a teensy Disney fleet when they're trying to score the Seattle contract

2) They don't wanna deal with Disney (who has a history of not making final payment on stuff and other general poor business dealings)

Um, #1 is much closer to the truth.... ;)

Kevy Baby
02-09-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by PapiBear
This is an absolute joke. I am BEYOND LIVID at this entire situation. ONE monorail train?!?!

<snip>

This just gets me so very ANGRY that I want to wring some necks. :mad: How DARE they let this happen?!? C'mon PapiBear. If ya got something to say, just come out and say it... don't hold back.

Unfortunately, I am sure you know that the reality is that the show must continue. I am holding hope that Cast Member Matt can at least start the much needed turn-around process.