PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had a scary moment at the park?

Pages : [1] 2

UncleGDogWord
02-08-2004, 08:47 AM
I remember when I was 10 and on the Skyway and all of a sudden the ride stopped in the middle of the Matterhorn and these loud fog horns started to blare. We were stuck for 10 mins and we were between the support.

That was certainly a thrill ride that day.

mousey_girl
02-08-2004, 10:27 AM
My scariest moment had to do with overcrowding. Thankfully we did make it out ok, but the memory is still there.

newhdplayer
02-08-2004, 10:45 AM
I remember one time at night on Main Street before PP, none of the bulbs were burned out and we were almost blinded.

Disney Vault
02-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Good thing u dont have to worry about those bright lights anymore.

Disneyphile
02-08-2004, 11:01 AM
I once met a guy who seemed really nice at first, and then got really aggressive towards me on the DLRR that evening. Then, he proceeded to follow me around the rest of the night. :eek:

julia
02-08-2004, 11:14 AM
Hi,

Everytime I even think about California Screamin', I get scared. It makes my stomach sick when I even walk by it. The mere idea of California Screamin' makes me feel like I am a very small 4-year old again, living in an adult's body. My favorite ride is, "It's Small World," because it has no sudden jolts, it doesn't mess up my hair and it appeals to the 4 year old in me. The train is good, too. I know, I know - WAY too madcap, huh!

Have a great day!

Julia Elzie
Travel Consultant
http://www.GoAndavo.com
E-mail: JuliaElzie@earthlink.net

Andrew
02-08-2004, 11:38 AM
July 4, 1997 (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&th=dd3bc8d270b99971&rnum=1) was pretty bad. Poor (i.e. nonexistent) crowd control planning led to total gridlock in the Frontierland-Adventureland-Plaza area for fifteen to twenty minutes.

02-08-2004, 12:04 PM
Debut of the Mulan parade. There were serious crowd control issues, especially right after the parade.

Polar33
02-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
July 4, 1997 (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&th=dd3bc8d270b99971&rnum=1) was pretty bad. Poor (i.e. nonexistent) crowd control planning led to total gridlock in the Frontierland-Adventureland-Plaza area for fifteen to twenty minutes.

:eek: I'll second that. I had just recently moved to So Cal back then and that day was my first trip to the park as a "local". It was definitely a day filled with memories that I'll never forget...although I wish they were good ones.

Kevy Baby
02-08-2004, 02:44 PM
I have two scariest moments:

The exit side of iasw was backed up way into the attraction. We stopped still indoors and stayed in one place for about 5 minutes.

Another time on DLRR, due to a problem with the train in front of us at MSS, we were stuck in front of the srceeching pterodactyl for almost 10 minutes. Its challenging enough for me to tolerate the tunnel, but this almost pushed me to the point of going postal.

Scary times indeed.

iAmJacksDLand
02-08-2004, 08:56 PM
After attending Knotts Scary Farm for like 4 weekends in a row, I went to Disneyland at night and was spooked by a rock on Big Thunder Trail, thinking it was a scaractor. I actually lept away from the rock, cause it looked liked a person hunched down, ready to pop out at me.

I was so used to being at a theme park and being shocked and surprised by people that would jump out at you.

DisneyFan25863
02-08-2004, 09:06 PM
First time I stepped into DCA.

Someone had to say it :fez:

In reality, it was probably when I got stuck in HM right in front of the bride for like 20 min. It started to get really creepy....:eek:

blusilva
02-08-2004, 11:19 PM
My family had to be evacuated from the People Mover. My grandpa was on crutches, due to arthritic knees. We had to walk the narrow edge of the outside of the track over the front of Tomorrowland back to the loading station. It was very frightening for me.

Then they gave us front of the line passes to use. That cleared it all up. :)

disneydreams
02-08-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
In reality, it was probably when I got stuck in HM right in front of the bride for like 20 min. It started to get really creepy....:eek:

lalalalala! I can't hear you! :eek: :D

If that happened to me, I'd be hyperventilating cuz I'm scared to death of the bride.
:goosebump:

I remember my first time on Indy, we just loaded the jeep and I hadn't put on my seatbelt yet ( I don't know why...) and I was at the right end of the jeep. So then the jeep starts to move. I get scared because I thought that the ride already started and that I was gonna go flying off the jeep because my brothers told me it was a really bumpy and wild ride.:eek: So for the next 5 seconds, I'm freaking out and desperately trying to find the seatbelt (...) and shove it into the buckle, but I still didn't get it on...and then it stopped! Amazing! :eek: so then I was able to put on my seatbelt and everything was ok :D I don't know how old I was...

David R
02-09-2004, 07:03 AM
They were doing ToT soft openings at WDW way back then and I got on it once. 1 drop. Everything was fine, I loved it. We got back in line.

The second time, we go through the ride, and we finally go up to all the way, to the point where you are about to drop. Except that we wouldn't drop. People thought it was great fun, they had never been in there before, they thought the delay was part of the ride. I knew it was not a part of the ride. We waited, and waited. Something was wrong. I was holding on for dear life. I was afraid that the whole thing was going to go down any second.

Finally the house lights came on and a voice came on that notified us that the ride was down and, most important, that the elevators were under control.

We were then lowered (very, very slowly), a CM apologized and gave us the opportunity to ride again. Several people declined, I didn't. They took us backstage and up a real elevator to the loading area where we were allowed to board again.

ppmuse
02-09-2004, 07:14 AM
I'll write this one for my mom. Apparently, she took her grandmother to Disneyland one year. They decided to go on to the Submarine ride. While on the ride, my great-grandmother started feeling water falling from the ceiling. She was really scared and started telling everybody that the sub was sinking and they needed to get off right away. Mom being quite young, started freakin out too.

My scariest story, a girl smiled at me when I was in Junior High, and I didn't know what to do. It happened in line for Matterhorn. Decided to wait for her after our ride was up, but she must have gotten off earlier. Pretty sad, but that's my high point of scaryness at Disneyland.

bubsy
02-09-2004, 07:51 AM
Going on Space Mountain with my Mom.
I was probably 7? Anyway she spent the whole ride trying to push me out of the train, because she was scared... I wasn't going to fall out, but she had her hands forcing me against my side of the car, and I felt like I was hanging out. She had her eyes closed.
Typical of my mother.

Kevy Baby
02-09-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by ppmuse
My scariest story, a girl smiled at me when I was in Junior High, and I didn't know what to do. It happened in line for Matterhorn. Decided to wait for her after our ride was up, but she must have gotten off earlier. Pretty sad, but that's my high point of scaryness at Disneyland. Those can be some of life's scariest moments. Forget death, we're talking GIRLS!!! :p

DivaPrincess
02-09-2004, 10:55 AM
My first trip to Disneyland - I think I was 9, my little brother was 3. We were going to lunch at Ranch del Zocalo, and suddenly my parents couldn't find my brother. He had wandered off. We all frantically searched for him for about 20 minutes on a very busy summer day, and finally my aunt found him. He had gone up to someone and said "I'm lost" and they just waited there with him until he was found. That was scary.

Of course now, 16 years later, you'd be hard pressed to lose my 300 lb brother in a crowd.

However, as an adult, only the rockets at the entrance to Fantasyland scare me. They lean to far when you aren't flying high enough. I don't like that feeling.

hsierra
02-09-2004, 11:41 AM
My husband and two kids and myself were staying at the Disneyland Hotel on Sept. 11. It was pretty bad, especially since someone started a rumor that a third (or fourth) plane was still missing and heading for the resort. Going into the park the next day was bit creepy, you have one eye on your kids and one eye on the sky.

J2TyCo
02-09-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863

My hsband and I also got stuck on HM right in front of th bride for about 20 mins once as well...

way way freaky after that long LOL

I was wshin it was over at th ballroom instead but at least it wasnt in the ghost mirrors with a HAUNT in the cart with su for that long LOL

CarlieB
02-09-2004, 12:32 PM
My second ever time on the Matterhorn was a little tense...the first time had been fine. But for some reason the second time really scared me. It honestly felt like the bobsled was going to come off the track on some of the corners. I've never felt like that again though, so who knows? Also, a couple of overcrowded time have been, while not exactly scary, quite uncomfortable...

katiesue
02-10-2004, 09:24 AM
When my daughter (who was about 2) got her head stuck in the railing at the Tomorrow Land Train station. It took them about 20 minutes and some really large bolt cutters to get her out. She was totally hysterical the whole time. Now of course she doesn't remember a thing and thinks it's pretty funny.

mad4mky
02-10-2004, 10:10 AM
I have had two.

The first was when The Haunted Mansion had a 'live' suit of armour in the hallway.
When our doombuggy was going past...the Suit of Armour reached in and touched me!!
Boy, I just about had a heart attack.
It happened in the spring of 1984...and I never heard of anyone else having this happen...
Until I logged onto Doombuggys.com...and read an article about the CM who actually was 'inside' (he actually was on the other side of the wall, with his arms in the suit) who did do this kind of thing during that specific spring and summer.
Glad to have had that unique experience:rolleyes: .

And ...
When my youngest was 4 weeks old we went to DLR...and we were waiting in line for strollers. All of a sudden my then husband said "where's Kendall?"
Our 4 year old daughter with Down syndrome was no where to be seen.
I about had a heart attack (again). We told the CM at the gate (who said...are you sure she came in with you?? uh duhh...And...someone else said "Already?"...meaning we lost her already!).
But...Security was called, the message went out...and we stood by nervously to wait (with both of us parents bickering at who should have been watching her!).

A good friend of the family who was with us on the trip located her before Security did...
She was already at the end of Main St...headed towards the Castle (she had been to DL several times before and knew exactly where she was going!).
Security followed our friend and my daughter back to us...they wanted to make sure this guy was ok.

Anyways...it was a scare to lose her like that. I got back in line for the strollers, and a family was behind me. The mother said "Does she do that often...wander off I mean?" I looked at her, and noticed her middle daughter had Down syndrome also. As we started talking, I found out that her daughter was a little 'wanderer' as well.:rolleyes: :)

02-10-2004, 11:20 AM
We got stuck right by Madame Leota for at least ten minutes. It was long enough to see everything happen at regular intervals. That was more interesting than scary.