PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Jungle Cruise funny

Caleb the Great
02-07-2004, 09:31 PM
I was wondering if the jungle cruise was always funny or if it started out serious. My dad has been bugging me to ask this question so I finally am.
Thanks!

DisneyFan25863
02-07-2004, 09:39 PM
It used to be serious (Jungle Guide, Steve Iwirn type thing).

Cadaverous Pallor
02-07-2004, 09:49 PM
Yes, it was serious at first, but apparently only for a very short time. According to the spring 2003 issue of E-ticket magazine:

(on opening)...True to the ride's educational agenda, the guide would dutifully describe the Irrawaddy River of Burma, then Cambodia's Mekong River, the Nile River of Egypt, the Congo River of Africa and on the way back, the Rapids of Kilimanjaro....

1964, Summer - ...Aboard the jungle boats, the guide's patter became a little less educational, a little more witty...
Thank you once again to MouseAdventure for my subscription! :D

Not Afraid
02-07-2004, 09:51 PM
The JC was pretty serious in the beginning and didn't start to insert humor until the Marc Davis refurb in 1962. The addition of the Elephant Pool provided foder for jokes (it's safe to take photos....they're all wearing their trunks) and I think it just went down hill (uphill?) from there. Marc Davis also added the Rhino Scene. His additions make his sense of humor very apparent.

He also was one of the designers of the Haunted Mansion. The Ballroom and Graveyard show off his humor as well. He's a fun man to read about.

For more information read:

9 Old Men - John Canemaker
Mouse Tales (and More Mouse Tales) - David Koenig
The Haunted Mansion - Jason Surell
The Nickle Tour (can't remember authors' name off the top of my head and I'm too lazy to go to the lovingroom):geek:

MonorailMan
02-08-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
The Nickle Tour (can't remember authors' name off the top of my head and I'm too lazy to go to the lovingroom):geek:

Oh My. No wonder your up so late. :p :~D

UncleGDogWord
02-08-2004, 08:12 AM
Five words:

The back side of water!

I love that one and have a special photo album of all my visits with a shot of the back side of water.

Come to think of it; it seems kind of boring to most people.

Oh well.

Mark Goldhaber
02-08-2004, 10:44 AM

Disneyland the Nickel Tour: A Postcard Journey Through a Half Century of the Happiest Place on Earth by David Mumford and Bruce Gordon

MotorBoat Cruiser
02-08-2004, 12:58 PM
Just to chime in and say that, yes, it started out as a ride to be taken more seriously and gradually evolved into what it is now.

The jungle cruise is my favorite ride at the park, ESPECIALLY when taken at night. It is vintage Walt Disney. I do miss them shooting at the hippos though, as politically incorrect as that apparently is.

Kevy Baby
02-08-2004, 02:52 PM
My personal favorite trip on JC was on a Passholder Night (before they got too lame). The skipper just pushed the throttle to maximum, left it there for the whole ride, and in a very deadpan voice would say "hippo", "elephant", or whatever else we were passing at that moment (and kinda point to the animal/item). Funniest ride I ever took.

cryan71
02-08-2004, 08:08 PM
Actually, the JC skippers aren't funny -- Disney pipes in laughing gas. That's why when the squirting elephant comes up the second time -- he never squirts you because you are being gassed.

Not Afraid
02-08-2004, 10:40 PM

oh dear. :eek:

mamabot
02-09-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Kevy Baby
My personal favorite trip on JC was on a Passholder Night (before they got too lame). The skipper just pushed the throttle to maximum, left it there for the whole ride, and in a very deadpan voice would say "hippo", "elephant", or whatever else we were passing at that moment (and kinda point to the animal/item). Funniest ride I ever took.

I wouldlove to do a tour like that! The closest I have ever come is a Maynard Guided trip. Even Nathan laughed and he only goe son the Jungle Cruise because I like it. I am converting Ali to be a JC nut. She even applauds the backside of water with me. If I am not paying attention at the right momnet, she will get my attention and point something funny out to me.

I love this ride. It is the one thing I have to do every time I visit the park. Some Skippers are lame, others are incredible.

Great escape within an escape.

Photographer
02-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Jungle Cruise is my favorite ride at DL. You've gotta love corny jokes to appreciate it. I'm usually mouthing the script along with the skipper.

I've been a cruise when the boat was shifted into the "fast sailing" mode too. We got a tiny bit more than him pointing at the animals and naming them. It was so funny. The foreigners had no idea what was going on and I felt bad for them. But it sure was funny.

If I ever work at DL, I want to work JC.
Hi. My name is Cupcake and I'll be your hostess.
I'd like to point out some of my favorite plants.
<------- --------> and <----

sediment
02-09-2004, 04:19 PM
I try to go on twice each time: one in daylight, one at night.