PDA

View Full Version : Mark Twain at Night!!!

Pages : [1] 2

merlinjones
10-07-2001, 10:37 AM
I'm so happy to get to ride the Mark Twain on the dark and peaceful nightime Rivers of America. It took me back to good old times - - very relaxing and wonderful.

Now that this area may be seen more frequently at night, they will need to reinforce foliage along the berm at several key points, as the new parking structure and onramp lights shine through the thin spots now, spoiling the illusion. Just a few trees in the right places would make a big difference.

At any rate, I more than happy to give up Fantasmic for the duration if it means riding the Twain at night.

JRob2k1
10-07-2001, 10:45 AM
Agreed!

When I went in Sept., Fantasmic was down for rehab and the whole NOS/Frontierland area was so peaceful at night. I had almost forgotten how quaint that area was because usually it was packed with 20,000 people all rushing to get out!!

I do look foward to riding the Mark Twain at night again too!!

-JRob

DisneylandBoy
10-07-2001, 11:36 AM
I enjoy Frontierland and NOS at night. It is good to get a break from the crowds for a while. But, I also love riding HM right before Fantasmic starts and getting out of the ride and hearing the music. That is cool too.

blusilva
10-08-2001, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
I'm so happy to get to ride the Mark Twain on the dark and peaceful nightime Rivers of America. It took me back to good old times - - very relaxing and wonderful.

YEAH! I got to do it on Friday night and it was SPLENDID!

Now that this area may be seen more frequently at night, they will need to reinforce foliage along the berm at several key points, as the new parking structure and onramp lights shine through the thin spots now, spoiling the illusion. Just a few trees in the right places would make a big difference.

Sadly, I noticed that too. That and the narration being too low. I was sitting on the very front (prow? What do I know, I'm no sailor) of the boat and could barely hear it.

At any rate, I more than happy to give up Fantasmic for the duration if it means riding the Twain at night.

Well, I'd go so far as to say I'd give up Fantasmic on a seasonal basis.... ;)

stevemo
10-08-2001, 04:18 PM
I've been saying this for the last couple of years. I like Fantasmic as much as the next person, but having the west side practically shut down every night was a drag. And I also missed the Mark Twain at night.

jslivinski
10-10-2001, 12:10 PM
I am so glad you mentioned this. We are heading down on Friday and although I've read about riding Mark Twain, I've never experienced it. Now I well.:)

Napsto
10-10-2001, 12:46 PM
i definatley have to try it out

Nigel2
10-10-2001, 10:22 PM
It's been a while since I checked, is the cabin still not buring? And does anyone know why it isn't burning anymore?

Morrigoon
10-10-2001, 10:59 PM
Cost of the gas, of course

Nigel2
10-10-2001, 11:04 PM
It has been out for years, before the price statred to skyrocket.

Morrigoon
10-10-2001, 11:05 PM
I didn't say it was because the gas price had gone up... just because it existed ;)

Nigel2
10-10-2001, 11:08 PM
Oh, or the upkeep itself was too expensive?

tabacco
10-10-2001, 11:33 PM
I've heard rumor that the pipes corroded. Again, though, that's something easily fixed. For a price :)

jslivinski
10-18-2001, 03:42 PM
I didn't make it for the twilight cruise. On Saturday I figured I'd do it Sunday with my son, he got sick and by the time I got over there with my daughter on Sunday evening it was closed. Oh well, there's always December.

Ralph Wiggum
10-18-2001, 04:10 PM
They should have a night cruise on the Mark Twain with Diner and/or dessert and as your coming around the bend in the back the fireworks start and you get to see them from there....they would have to put the music on the boat but it could be done.
They could(and would) charge about 20-25 dollars per person.

Morrigoon
10-18-2001, 04:29 PM
$20 for a dinner cruise? I'd bite, I'd at least try it once.

innerSpaceman
10-18-2001, 05:21 PM
Thank goodness. I can't wait to reexperience this relaxing cruise around the Rivers of America about the Mark Twain after dark. It's one of the classic Disneyland experiences, and I have missed it so.

Napsto
10-18-2001, 07:39 PM
thats an intresting idea ralph.

DisneylandKid
10-18-2001, 07:41 PM
Since I have not been to the Disneyland Resort since 4:30 on September 9, 2001 (and Disneyland since the 4th), I have not ridden the Mark Twain @ night. Have they done anything to differ the ride (eg: sound effects, cool lighting, etc.)??

Ralph Wiggum
10-18-2001, 07:56 PM
Thanx napsto :)

Nigel2
10-18-2001, 10:31 PM
They use to (long time ago, watch for it on vault disney) serve beverages on the Mark Twain, and it was at night with Louis Armstrong for tv.

innerSpaceman
10-18-2001, 11:37 PM
Ok R. Wiggum, now I know it's not exactly your suggestion that they charge $20-$25 for a Mark Twain evening cruise w/ fireworks and entertainment and some food, just that you think that would be the price if Disneyland offered such a thing.

Well, I am getting royaly ****ed at the the extra add-on prices to your paid admission to get stuff that should be free. Yes, charge for food and drink that you may order from the bar aboard the Twain, but charge just for the privilege of having your cruise timed right for fireworks, or for having even live entertainment that should be provided on the boat occassionaly as what you paid for when you came in the gate? No sir.

Once charging money for Disney Gallery balcony viewing of Fantasmic became acceptable for something that was once free for those with good timing, they tried to foist an extra charge for some crappy desserts served at a blocked-off area of regular, ground-level Fantasmic viewing area. Thankfully, that didn't fly. But aside from paying for merchandise I may buy or food I may eat, I want everything else in the Park to be included in my admission (street entertainment, fast passes, rides and attractions, the whole nine yards), and not to be hit up for extra costs for special upgrades like Mark Twain at night, or Matterhorn rides during the fireworks, or Space Mountain with the sound working for a change. If we let them get away with charging for such "extras," pretty soon you'll have to pay extra for Splash Mountain when the temperature goes above 80 and for Peter Pan during peak hours of 11 am to 8 pm. It will never stop. Thank goodness that rip-off dessert viewing of Fantasmic was not successful. I cherish the thought of Mark Twain at night, but if I have to pay for the privilege, no way.

Through good timing, I was always able to get a cruise aboard the Mark Twain when the Disneyland Band was playing on the bow. I want good timing to be all that's required at night for an entertainment cruise, not more money out of my pocket. We have already paid for occassional entertainment at the gate.

Sorry about this rant, but the thought of charging for one of the nicer nightime cruises on the Mark Twain took all the charm out of it for me. Let's just hope there is one cruise with a band and timed right for the fireworks, and all it takes is being inside Disneyland at the right place at the right time, and not having money left for that perk at the end of an already very expensive day.

Ralph Wiggum
10-19-2001, 12:06 AM
Yes...you are correct... I dont want a charge but i KNOW they will have one and 20-25 is probably a low estimate.

Nigel2
10-19-2001, 12:39 AM
Speaking of sitting on balconies in NOS, about a month ago I saw some people that opened a door to one of the smaller balcones (the one the band ususally uses for bead tossing) and they acted like nothing was wrong. It was funny when a CM saw them and told them to get off though.

DisneylandKid
10-27-2001, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
This actually is not the parking structure, but actually the Fantasmic prop/sets house. I don't understand why they need those bright lights on during Fantasmic's refurbishment, but maybe they are working back there. They definitely need to cover it up with two or three trees.