PDA

View Full Version : Power outage? [December 27]

torquedork
12-27-2017, 05:08 PM
Did anyone hear about the power outage today at Disneyland? One of my coworkers told me about the outage and surprised that I didn't see any news feeds plastered all over the internet earlier today.

newhdplayer
12-27-2017, 06:08 PM
Yes

candles71
12-27-2017, 06:57 PM
A friend shared a live newsfeed of it on Facebook.

Berry Princess
12-27-2017, 08:39 PM
It was all over the news today. I saw it and husband was saying it was on all these different news sites around the US online. LOL Seemed it had to do with a transformer.

olegc
12-28-2017, 08:11 AM
im surprised you didnt see anything plastered on the internet. Fan sites and disney bloggers were posting around 11am and most news organizations (well, at least here in so cal like ABC7, KNXNewsradio, LA Times, and OC Register) picked up on it by noon. Some though posted around 2 or 3pm that power is out, when it was back on by then. To me - it was all over the place. I guess it depends on who or what you follow.

stan4d_steph
12-28-2017, 10:17 AM
Fox LA coverage (http://www.foxla.com/news/local-news/disneyland-power-outage-affects-several-rides)

LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-disneyland-outage-20171227-story.html)

It was a transformer malfunction that caused the outage.

cstephens
12-28-2017, 02:14 PM
Did anyone hear about the power outage today at Disneyland? One of my coworkers told me about the outage and surprised that I didn't see any news feeds plastered all over the internet earlier today.

I saw it on the two local news feeds that I follow on Twitter and Facebook. I presume the other local news feeds I don't follow also had blurbs about it. And Variety had an article as well. I was amused, though, that when Variety posted their "everything is back up" update, they initially did it with a picture of the castle in Disneyland Paris.

binki
12-28-2017, 09:08 PM
It didn't seem like a big deal but I wasn't in the park. I am sure it caused a lot of congestion but only locally to the kids area which is bad at all times anyway. I am kind of surprised though that they don't have redundant power. The power facility at Disney is as big as the entire city of Anaheim. The power lines coming in are (I think the last time I looked at the towers) 220KV which is what powers most of the country from a transmission perspective, 500KV is for big areas like Los Angeles. Once it gets into the park it is distributed via transformers at a lower voltage. That is where the failure was reported. I hope, and am sure, they visit that scenario so it doesn't happen again.

emgm
12-30-2017, 06:00 AM
We were in Tomorrowland when the outage occurred. Didn’t know anything about it at first, but by 1:00 TL was so packed we thought “wow, this is even worse than we expected.”

We left and crossed the parade into FL, walked through it to BTMR, and it was so odd to see all ALL the rides shut down from Tea Cups to and including BTMR (which continued to have problems all day). There were only a few guests milling around, the restaurant in FL was closed, no crowds at the bathrooms. The carts in FL were open but only taking cash. The weirdest part of it all - there was NO MUSIC playing in the background!

It definitely affected crowds everywhere else in the park for the rest of the day. And I think that’s why they had to restrict entry to DL to only guests who’d already entered - because with all those rides down it really impacts their allowed capacity.

The rest of the week was tolerable crowd-wise as long as we got there early and maximized fast passes and single rider.