PDA

View Full Version : Club 33 lawsuit

Karin
12-15-2017, 05:23 AM
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/2017/12/14/couple-sues-disneyland-after-allegedly-being-kicked-out-of-club-33/

amyuilani
12-15-2017, 09:26 AM
This is a new one, it seems. The previous Club 33 case that was getting all kinds of attention was the man who was (allegedly) getting people in with his membership, so they revoked it.

Claims like this are always hard to prove. I'm curious to see if this goes anywhere.

Shortpix77
12-15-2017, 11:51 AM
The previous Club 33 case that was getting all kinds of attention was the man who was (allegedly) getting people in with his membership, so they revoked it.

Members are allowed to get others in, so why would that even be an issue?

currence
12-15-2017, 11:59 AM
About a month ago, something triggered my memory of the older lawsuit and I tried to look online to see what happened to it. Other than seeing that its venue was transferred to Orange County Superior Court in October 2015. I tried to look at the Orange County Courts website to get a further update but hit a pay-wall and decided I didn't care that much. Of note, the attorney's listed as representing the plaintiff, two of the three names partners are now at a different lawfirm doing intellectual property law and the third is no longer a practicing attorney.

Members are allowed to get others in, so why would that even be an issue?

According to the Disney rumor sites, the man at question was not just bringing in friends, but was making reservations for anyone who expressed interest in going - allegedly sometimes filling up 1/2 or more of the dining room with his reservations - making it difficult for other members to make reservations for themselves or their guests. Back then, a dining reservation automatically came with a free ticket to Disneyland. Because of the abuse of a few, Club 33 members were later restricted to a much smaller number of free tickets per year and I believe had limits placed on the number of reservations they could make if they were not dining with their guests.

ETA: The main issue with that man was that one of the reservations he made on behalf of a guest was later sold at a charity-type auction. The Club 33 membership had explicit rules prohibiting the sale of reservations, even for a good cause. This provided Disney with a basis to revoke his membership. It was also, reportedly, not his first offense.

Shortpix77
12-15-2017, 01:05 PM
According to the Disney rumor sites, the man at question was not just bringing in friends, but was making reservations for anyone who expressed interest in going - allegedly sometimes filling up 1/2 or more of the dining room with his reservations - making it difficult for other members to make reservations for themselves or their guests. Back then, a dining reservation automatically came with a free ticket to Disneyland. Because of the abuse of a few, Club 33 members were later restricted to a much smaller number of free tickets per year and I believe had limits placed on the number of reservations they could make if they were not dining with their guests.

ETA: The main issue with that man was that one of the reservations he made on behalf of a guest was later sold at a charity-type auction. The Club 33 membership had explicit rules prohibiting the sale of reservations, even for a good cause. This provided Disney with a basis to revoke his membership. It was also, reportedly, not his first offense.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining -- I could definitely see that being a problem!

Karin
12-19-2017, 06:15 AM

It was also rumored that he was charging people for the free tickets as well as to dine at the Club. One of the comments he made along the way was along the lines of how Disneyland was cutting off his revenue by kicking him out of the Club. He's an older, well past retired gentleman.

binki
12-19-2017, 03:30 PM
It was also rumored that he was charging people for the free tickets as well as to dine at the Club. One of the comments he made along the way was along the lines of how Disneyland was cutting off his revenue by kicking him out of the Club. He's an older, well past retired gentleman.

Yeah, I remember reading his free tickets were ending up being sold.

stan4d_steph
12-20-2017, 08:38 PM
All of this discussion is irrelevant to the current lawsuit, that is over an entirely separate issue.

The article is written poorly, but it seems they are alleging sexual harassment of members by staff. In some places it seems to indicate the reverse.

Malcon10t
12-21-2017, 11:33 AM
All of this discussion is irrelevant to the current lawsuit, that is over an entirely separate issue.

The article is written poorly, but it seems they are alleging sexual harassment of members by staff. In some places it seems to indicate the reverse.It is poorly written as that is not the case.

Berry Princess
12-25-2017, 12:36 PM
Basically from what I read there it seems they are trying to claim that they were kicked out because of complaining about sexual harassment going on towards waitresses and some other things. Then how they are also claiming Disney is just pushing older members out (mind you it said they have been members since 2012) so they can charge the newer membership prices to the next in line. Yet later in the article it says this

According to the suit, the couple was banned from the club and their membership revoked in October, after what they said was a medical issue was treated as a drunken episode.

So I wonder if they were really the issue but as some will do, twist it around to suit their needs in this all to make it seem like they were never a problem but more along the lines of doing good for "reporting" issues, kwim? Which I think if there was sexual harassment or inappropriate behavior towards any waitresses there that Disney wouldn't put up with that...as well as I think that is something that would have come out long before this I would bet and more so with all that has been going on over the months in the news. Which I have to wonder if that was why that was tossed in as something they complained about? I also had read some place else that rumors are this couple were issues and causing problems. Like I said rumors so who knows what is true in all this. All I know is this one and the other guy, I have no pity for. Both of their lawsuits and reasons smell but that is just my feelings on it.