PDA

View Full Version : BTMRR, reopening now pushed back until March 10th (could be later)

Darkbeer
02-06-2004, 02:44 AM
Well, based on the info at Disneyland.com, and my knowledge that the first tests of the new safety system didn't go as planned, we are looking at a later return of BTMRR... The date might change again... (Remember, everything at Disney is subject to change) :eek:

ppmuse
02-06-2004, 06:59 AM
To be completely honest, I was kind of surprised that they weren't going the way of Space Mountain. This is what I think Eisner is saying behind closed doors about Disneyland:

"Just close the whole BTM ride down and redo the track. Sure the reports didn't say anything about the track having problems, but let's do it anyway. While we're at it, let's close Splash Mountain down to, water might be contaminated, just redo the water in Splash mountain, yeah that's a good idea. And I do believe I saw some yellow snow on Matterhorn the last time I was there. Better throw a decontamination tent around the mountain. That would leave, let's see, Pirates and Peter Pan as the big rides at Disneyland. Thinking new advertisements, and hey, let's up the cost for Disneyland while we're at it, Disneyland fans will pay anything just to get into those gates <evil laugh>."

PsychDoc
02-06-2004, 08:43 AM
Do you think it'll open up by May? I'm planning my next trip and I want to make sure it's open by then.

Darkbeer
02-06-2004, 09:09 AM
I think they realy want it (BTMRR) open before the big Spring Break period, so I expect it to open sometime in March, so you should be OK talking about May..

I also have heard that Indy is having problems, and that it will also run past the original refurb date, this could last into May... as far as I understand, the "planned delays" should make it reopen by Memorial Day, hopefully earlier....

sediment
02-06-2004, 09:56 AM
Could be good news for the rides: Maybe CMs are speaking up about the problems. Maybe engineers are speaking up about structural issues and offering effective, but expensive and time-consuming, solutions.

It's all short-term bad news for the guests. Us.

DivaPrincess
02-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Ahh, dang it! I really wanted it to be opened when we go the first weekend in march. It stinks to have 3 e tix down. Especially on weekends. Now we have to get our thrills at DCA.

Grandbreaker
02-06-2004, 04:19 PM
I found out they are hand picking the crew and if you worked it on the day of the accident you will not be going back there.

BJW
02-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Darkbeer mentioned a new safety system. That's interesting. I thought the accident was caused by an upstop wheel not being attached properly with the safety cables. Does the new safety system somehow detect the presence of (or lack of) components? This would be a good idea and would make the ride much safer.

Saratoga75
02-06-2004, 09:31 PM
It's unfortunate news to hear. . . though not that suprising. . . hopefully the new safety system will work out and the ride could be brought back online ASAP. I think they will make it a priority in time for spring break.

happyhaunts999
02-07-2004, 09:52 PM
I saw two trains running on the mountain today. They are already re-training cast members. This is a good sign that the ride will be opening in march as planned. Anyone know more

SoCalDisneyLover
02-08-2004, 12:14 AM
My pass expires on March 9. I thought I would get a chance to ride BT right when it re-opened. Now it looks like I won't ride it until after I re-up my pass, which probably won't be until April. I definitely don't want to miss the opening of Tower.

I'm guessing that on a return from rehab, there is no such thing as a "soft opening," and BT won't open until it is ready to be 100% open Full Time.

Bruce Bergman
02-08-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by SoCalDisneyLover
<snip>I'm guessing that on a return from rehab, there is no such thing as a "soft opening," and BT won't open until it is ready to be 100% open Full Time.

They'll cycle the ride (cars loaded with sandbags or weighted plastic torsos) long enough to test the ride control and safety systems, including deliberately tripping multiple E-stops with different safety switches and making sure it all works as designed. They will test for timing with safety zone encroachments, false signals at sensors, brake air pressure failures, and other possible accident starters.

If one train blows through a brake block zone and rear-ends the next one ahead, this is something you want to find out now with two trains full of sandbags, not later on an open attraction and two trains with guests on board... :eek:

After they establish that the ride is safe to operate and get that signed off, they might "Soft Open" it for a few days prior to the announced reopening date - but the Soft Open would be more to train & test the CM's and fine tune the operating procedures, rather than the ride itself.

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--