PDA

View Full Version : Photos from Snow White handprint ceremony

Pages : [1] 2

AVP
02-05-2004, 12:46 PM
Just a few shots of the "new look" of the Seven Dwarfs. More tomorrow.

http://www.mpimages.net/dlr/compressed/Disneyland/Special_Events/SnowWhite/GroupShot1-20-020504-AVP.jpg

Snow White and Dopey (http://www.mpimages.net/dlr/compressed/Disneyland/Special_Events/SnowWhite/SnowAndDopey.jpg)

Sneezy, Bashful and Sleepy (http://www.mpimages.net/dlr/compressed/Disneyland/Special_Events/SnowWhite/SneezyBashfulSleepy-020504-AVP.jpg)

Grumpy, Happy and Doc (http://www.mpimages.net/dlr/compressed/Disneyland/Special_Events/SnowWhite/GrumpyHappyDoc.jpg)

AVP

justagrrl
02-05-2004, 12:57 PM
Okay - what is all over her dress?

And why are the dwarves not - um - dwarfy?

stan4d_steph
02-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
And why are the dwarves not - um - dwarfy? Perhaps because they did not feel the need to employ 7 actual dwarves. It's theater. In the Beauty and the Beast stage play, Lumiere is huge because they had to put a person inside the costume. He couldn't be candlestick-sized.

Thanks for the photos AVP. Looks like it could be an interesting show. I look forward to hearing more about it after it opens.

Not Afraid
02-05-2004, 01:10 PM
And why are the dwarves not - um - dwarfy?

I read an article somewhere about the selection of shorter men but not necessarily dwarves. I believe the concern was over talent options being greater going in this direction.

I think they should've just cast me as Snow White, I make many men look like dwarves.;) (Of course, I'm 41 and can't sing:rolleyes: )

outlaw8
02-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Wow..Looks like they could've just gotten 7 Homeless guys from here(SF) and taught them to sing.....
That look could potentially scare some little ones....
"STRANGER<STRANGER" as kid points at dwarfs....

AVP
02-05-2004, 01:32 PM
Okay - what is all over her dress? White organza-looking heart-shaped leaf things.

It's quite pretty in person.

AVP

Demigod121
02-05-2004, 02:54 PM
My wife and I are going to see the new show on the 17th as part of the Cast Member Preview.

But - I can just hear the smaller kids asking "Mommy, why are the dwarves as big as Snow White?" :eek:

Um, er, HGH? Um, elevator shoes? AAHHHHH!

(just kidding!)

-Demigod

tod
02-05-2004, 03:03 PM
What follows may be offensive to some people, but I think these particular words are the best ones to express what I'm thinking when I look at AVP's pictures.

LIGHT MAGIC!!

Sorry if anyone's offended, but that's how I feel.

--T

sediment
02-05-2004, 03:05 PM
One giant-sized Snow White would have been less expensive, though impossible.

Not Afraid
02-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by tod
What follows may be offensive to some people, but I think these particular words are the best ones to express what I'm thinking when I look at AVP's pictures.

LIGHT MAGIC!!

Sorry if anyone's offended, but that's how I feel.

--T

COOL! I wear my new LIGHT MAGIC!! hat!

cstephens
02-05-2004, 03:11 PM
I think they look pretty cute. I'm looking forward to the new musical. Some of us were hanging around the theatre for a little while on Sunday. They weren't rehearsing, but they were doing some sound checks or something with some Magic Mirror dialogue, so we got to hear a bit of Patrick Stewart over and over again. I was wondering about the dwarfs, because "rubber-heads" wouldn't be very conducive to singing, so it's nice to see they didn't go that route.

As for the height thing - aren't the rubberheads about the same height as Snow White anyway?

lisap
02-05-2004, 03:18 PM
AVP--is that the gal who is Snow White in the stage show? I like the skirt--gives Belle a little run for her money. :) The dwarves look great--much better than I was picturing.

I can't wait to see this. :)

tod
02-05-2004, 03:36 PM
Whaddaya mean "handprint ceremony"? It's bad enough Eisner thinks he's Walt, does he also think he's Sid Grauman (http://www.la2you.com/mannschinesetheatre.htm) now?

--T

innerSpaceman
02-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Sorry, but the height ratio on dwarfs to Snow looks just plain stupid. And those dwarf costumes look like thrown-together, 3rd grade Halloween getups.

EandCDad
02-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by sediment
One giant-sized Snow White would have been less expensive, though impossible.

Maybe they should teach her to walk on stilts and build giant sets.

It looks good so far. I'm optimistic.

Not Afraid
02-05-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Sorry, but the height ratio on dwarfs to Snow looks just plain stupid. And those dwarf costumes look like thrown-together, 3rd grade Halloween getups.

I actually like the costumes. Snow is still taller than the dwarves.

I need to see it to have an opinion, and I'm willing to give it a showing. I am excited based on the artwork inspirations for the sets alone.

However, the things I've heard that are coming from the tech side of things are that the show is not good.

Time will tell, won't it. It can't be worse than Aladdin.;)

Alex S.
02-05-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by tod
Whaddaya mean "handprint ceremony"? It's bad enough Eisner thinks he's Walt, does he also think he's Sid Grauman (http://www.la2you.com/mannschinesetheatre.htm) now?

--T

No, but Sid Grauman probably does. There was a press event/handprint ceremony for Snow White and the dwarfs at the Chinese Theater this morning. We'll have an article in the tomorrow.

That said, I saw the one song they did on Live... at DCA. Can't say I was too impressed, but I don't know how much relation that had to the actual show.

Disneyphile
02-05-2004, 08:31 PM
It would have been cool to have the dwarves on a lowered part of the stage. With the right angles, it would look good.

cutiepie
02-06-2004, 10:43 AM
thanks for putting the pics up-those are cute. I sorta like how the dwarves look-the only thing fake is the prosthetic noses and ears and the beard. I wonder how long all that makeup takes to put on?

DivaPrincess
02-06-2004, 11:46 AM
Oh my gosh! This gets me so excited. I can't wait to see the show in March. I think the costumes look great. I mean, c'mon, people. How were they going to make the dwarfs 3 feet tall? It will be just fine having shorter men play the parts.

Anyone remember the Festival of Fools or whatever the Hunchback of Notre Dame show was called in the festival arena?

Well, I loved it, but I was totally disappointed that Quazi was a rubberhead and everyone else had to sing for him. I love that the dwarfs are actors. They are obviously taking a reality based approach with the distressed costuming and alterations in Snow's costume. It's much more authentic than the cartoonized dress the meet-n-greets wear.

I have high hopes and after seeing Aladdin this weekend, I can't help but thinking it can't possibly be worse.

Cadaverous Pallor
02-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Sorry, but the height ratio on dwarfs to Snow looks just plain stupid. And those dwarf costumes look like thrown-together, 3rd grade Halloween getups. Steph mentioned the Beauty and Beast show. What do you think about a 6 foot tall Lumiere?

I am glad they hired for talent instead of simply hiring true midgets or dwarves. I hope it pays off.

May I ask what are the dwarf costumes supposed to look like? To me they look like real life representations of the costumes in the movie.

I'm excited for something new and I just hope it doesn't suck. :)

Not Afraid
02-06-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor

I'm excited for something new and I just hope it doesn't suck. :)

Psssst. What's that date we're seeing it again????

MonorailMan
02-06-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
Psssst. What's that date we're seeing it again????

I hope it's a date I can go! ;)

Lost Boy
02-06-2004, 07:14 PM
The really funny thing is, that after all this hoopla the only thing that appeared in the LA Times today, was on the inside front page, at the top. Two small pictures of Snow and the Dwarves(??) and the article simply said that Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs had made an appearance (and place handprints in the cement,etc) and that they were appearing at The World Famous Chinese Theater in Hollywood to promote the opening of a new musical stage show, opening February 22. They gave the name of the show, but absolutely no mention at all that the musical was opening at Disneyland. In fact there was no mention of Disneyland at all in the very short article. And the one photo that did have the name Disneyland on it, the Disneyland was almost completly covered by Snow White. I wonder how many clueless folks will bring their kids to The Chinese Theater on February 22nd to see the new Snow White Stage show, only to find out it isn't there.

All that hype for nothing. At least as far as the LA Times is concerned.

innerSpaceman
02-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
I am glad they hired for talent instead of simply hiring true midgets or dwarves. I hope it pays off.

Originally posted by DIvaPrincess
I mean, c'mon, people. How were they going to make the dwarfs 3 feet tall? It will be just fine having shorter men play the parts.

Hey, I know a bit about shorter men. It would have been relatively easy to find a few Snows that make men my height look plenty small. They're a dime a dozen.

Now, I'm glad if the Snow Whites were hired for their talent and not strictly for their height. But just as any face character is hard to find, and any role in the world demands that the performer fit the physical type required, a couple of tall women would've been relatively easy to cast vs. finding 15 or more actual midget guys who can sing and dance and act.

I don't think a 6-foot tall Lumiere is a fit comparison. The dwarfs are not fantasy creatures to nearly that degree. They are humans - and the lack of any scale difference between them and the also-human Snow White makes for a pathetically poor illusion of dwarfery.