PDA

View Full Version : Possible Annual Pass discount...

Darkbeer
10-06-2001, 11:16 PM
At WDW, they are offering an additional 100 days (getting 465 days, instead of 365) if you purchase an resident AP thru the end of the year.... Could that be be coming here???, maybe ONLY if you buy a two-park pass. Many people have passes that expire in December due to the special offer to upgrade to the 2-park pass last year. With nothing planned for early 2002, this might help more people renew, plus spread out the expiration dates of the passes.

DisneylandKid
10-07-2001, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
At WDW, they are offering an additional 100 days (getting 465 days, instead of 365) if you purchase an resident AP thru the end of the year.... Could that be be coming here???, maybe ONLY if you buy a two-park pass. Many people have passes that expire in December due to the special offer to upgrade to the 2-park pass last year. With nothing planned for early 2002, this might help more people renew, plus spread out the expiration dates of the passes.
Disneyland gets a higher percentage of locals than WDW. WDW might need to *bribe* more Orlando-area residents into the resort. The only reason, I think, that Disney would bring this offer to California is if the resort starts losing even more money. They might also have this offer for a more expensive pass, like the 2-park Deluxe, because possibly less people are buying that. :confused:

WizKidRyan
10-07-2001, 09:49 AM
Disney rips you off so much with the 2-park premium so much IMO...2 park so cal costs $50 more than 1 park. 2 park deluxe costs $50 more than 1 park...2 park premium costs $100 more.
I guess they justify it with the discounts at the three resteraunts :rolleyes:

coronamouseman
10-08-2001, 11:00 AM
Darkbeer brings up a very interesting point: what is Disney going to do to ensure that all of those AP's renew? One would think that in these times that AP's provide (1) a very positive cash flow because they essentially pay in advance for one full year of visits and (2) provide a ready and most likely willing customer base for merchandising.

Regarding the first point, a SoCal 2-park AP holder pays $150 up front - if Disney does their usual and allows SoCal residents to get into the park for $30 in the offseason, then each AP sold in essence represents 5 park entries. Sure, some AP folks go a lot more than that but some may not - thus, Disney makes money either way because the frequent users as a group probably don't impact daily park activities enough to require more help (read extra expense) and those not going at least 5 times are essentially donating.

Regarding the second point, each AP is logged in Disney's files and can thus be easily targeted for discounts (note: AP's just got newsletter offering 10-20% off most everything in Downtown Disney Monday-Thursday in the offseason). Such discounts might cause an AP to spend more on merchandise or food and you can be sure that that extra 10-20% off is nothing to Disney as the other 80-90% of the amount spent is gravy for them.

So easiest things for Disney to do is to offer (1) fewer blackout days for AP's; (2) special deals for AP's to bring friends (like they did with the free kid tickets for DCA; (3) offer more perks to AP's such as discounts on food and merchandise.

What will be even more interesting is to see if Disney targets neighboring cities such as San Francisco, San Jose, Phoenix. Portland, Seattle and maybe even Denver - these cities are all within driving distance of Disneyland Resort and one would think that those people might be the target of a campaign which offers them hotel rooms and tickets at reduced rates. On the other hand, if there is already a trend developing in the country to take vacations by car then Disney may simply only have to wait for these folks to come to them.

Just yesterday there was a commercial with Barry Bonds and his family saying "We're going to Disneyland" - maybe some Disney marketing dweeb missed the boat by not having Barry say " We're driving to Disneyland".

Morrigoon
10-08-2001, 09:43 PM
There is only one way I can think of that Disney would get me to upgrade to a 2-park: make it $250 instead of $300. Period.

That park's just not worth $100. I would only go there to ride Grizzly and see the chance to shine show. There's just nothing else there.

Is it just me or did it feel like they were trying to make Disneyland more like DCA this weekend? (granted, they're repaving Fantasyland, but hear me out here) We were trying to decide on a ride to go on (just after getting of the fabulous mansion makeover). Well let's see... we could go see the bears, no wait, can't do that, how about an attraction in Tomorrowland? What tomorrowland?, well, um.... teacups? Nope, no teacups.....Canoes! Oh wait they shut those down at 5, even though there's no Fantasmic to prepare for. Sheesh!

jslivinski
10-10-2001, 01:30 PM
Just yesterday there was a commercial with Barry Bonds and his family saying "We're going to Disneyland" - maybe some Disney marketing dweeb missed the boat by not having Barry say " We're driving to Disneyland". [/B]

Actually they say, "We're going to DisneyWorld", you would think he would say Disneyland seeing as he plays for the Giants, but nope, it's a DisneyWorld ad.

MickeyD
10-10-2001, 01:37 PM
Don't they usually film them saying both Disneyland and Disney World?

mad4mky
10-10-2001, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by jslivinski

Actually they say, "We're going to DisneyWorld", you would think he would say Disneyland seeing as he plays for the Giants, but nope, it's a DisneyWorld ad.

No...the ones I have seen here in the Bay Area (specifically channel 7...before and during Monday Night Football) said Disneyland. Unless they have changed them since Monday night.

JeffG
10-10-2001, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by MickeyD
Don't they usually film them saying both Disneyland and Disney World?

This is correct. They always tape two versions of the ads, one for each resort. The Disneyland ads typically air in the western half of the country while the WDW ads typically air out east. Cable stations that do not have separate east and west feeds do seem to typically run the WDW version nationally.

-Jeff

mad4mky
10-10-2001, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by JeffG

This is correct. They always tape two versions of the ads, one for each resort. The Disneyland ads typically air in the western half of the country while the WDW ads typically air out east. Cable stations that do not have separate east and west feeds do seem to typically run the WDW version nationally.

-Jeff

AHH...makes sense. I listened specifically to what Resort they were going to say when it aired. So I was watching a local station...and perhaps jlivinski was watching a cable station.

jslivinski
10-11-2001, 09:38 AM
I think I was, won't guarentee it, but was probably either Disney Channel or Toon Disney