PDA

View Full Version : A little behind... Space Mountain?

Pages : [1] 2

Melaniee
02-03-2004, 08:41 PM
Closed for over a year? What are they doing to it?

Morrigoon
02-03-2004, 08:47 PM
tore out the track, rebuilding identical track, redid the roof, and adding some new show effects.

Melaniee
02-03-2004, 08:51 PM
Thanks. I guess that's good, then I won't have to figure out how to sneak away from the family to go on it. ;)

Bruce Bergman
02-03-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
tore out the track, rebuilding identical track, redid the roof, and adding some new show effects.

And they also had to dig out the floor to rework the footings and foundations, because the new track and support structure is built a lot heavier than the original.

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

SoCalTinkerbelle
02-04-2004, 09:11 AM
OK, wondering if anyone knows these....
1)ARe they gonna have the same coaster cars? Cause when I went to WDW in January, their SM has seats kinda like Matterhorn.. Which will it be?
and 2)Are they gonna bring bakc the music?? Please please I hope they do!! I remember it being real iffy if they'd do it.. when I went for Grad Nite the car I was in didn't have music, but my friends in front of us did. Now that sucked. And the next time we went on that fall, a CM said no more music. Blah!! But that was before the re-haul started, obviously.. :)

efoxx
02-04-2004, 09:28 AM
from what I know, and from sources here and on miceage.

the cars at WDW are a lot like the Matterhorn cars because basically the ride is the matterhorn, only indoors. with a few mods.
the new/old ride at DL will have new cars. they are already delivered I believe. and yes they will have the sound system.

SoCalTinkerbelle
02-04-2004, 10:49 AM
efoxx i hope you're right!!! :::happy dance:::: I'm excited!! I miss the music!!

Moxin
02-04-2004, 11:55 AM
Too bad...I was kinda hoping for a completely new experience. Maybe something like the Aerosmith type of indoor coaster at MGM...I think that would work really well in a space environment.

Kevy Baby
02-04-2004, 07:19 PM
As long as they have the Chips Ahoy cookie.

I don't care what anybody says: it was a Chips Ahoy cookie on the ceiling.

Tigertail777
02-04-2004, 07:34 PM
LOL!!!! in all seriousness... what was that space cookie thing supposed to be? a sattelite?

SM always kinda baffled me... your supposed to be in outer space and those are stars around you.... except the stars move suspiciously like a disco ball reflection. To be honest SM kinda really reminded me of a big disco ride LOL! I kept expecting "staying alive" to be blaring over loud speakers. OK OK some of it did seem space like... but that mirrorball effect was just odd. I guess it was the influence of the 70's.:D

danyoung
02-05-2004, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Tigertail777
LOL!!!! in all seriousness... what was that space cookie thing supposed to be? a sattelite?

Umm, a meteorite. And all Disney lore says that it was not designed to look like a cookie - it just sorta turned out that way.

Morrigoon
02-05-2004, 08:33 AM
Moxin: already exists... DLP's space mountain is like that. I'd like to keep our Space, but I wouldn't mind if they plowed Innoventions and put in the DLP space mountain with a new name on it (how about recycling the old Mission to Mars name?)

DivaPrincess
02-05-2004, 10:27 AM
I think it was on Mice Age that Al said they were doing two different soundtracks for the ride - the former Dick Dale tune during the day, and some new rock'n'roll tune for night - somthing about Space Mountain Rocks. I can't wait - I really miss that ride.

Kevy Baby
02-05-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by DivaPrincess
I think it was on Mice Age that Al said they were doing two different soundtracks for the ride - the former Dick Dale tune during the day, and some new rock'n'roll tune for night - somthing about Space Mountain Rocks. I can't wait - I really miss that ride. I may be in the minority here, but I REALLY liked the Dick Dale soundtrack. It went well with the Chips-Ahoy cookie on the ceiling (since I couldn't bring milk on the ride :fez: ).:geek:

danyoung
02-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Kevy Baby
I may be in the minority here, but I REALLY liked the Dick Dale soundtrack. It went well with the Chips-Ahoy cookie on the ceiling (since I couldn't bring milk on the ride :fez: ).:geek:

I'm not sure what others around here think about the music track, but I LOVE it! I was a little skeptical at first, but once I got used to it I really looked forward to the music working. I even learned the trick of looking for the red light on the back of the first car in each set. If it was on, the sound was working. If it was off, I'd stand my ground and wait for a car that was working (that is, assuming they had ANY of them working!).

Kevy Baby
02-05-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by danyoung
I even learned the trick of looking for the red light on the back of the first car in each set. If it was on, the sound was working. If it was off, I'd stand my ground and wait for a car that was working (that is, assuming they had ANY of them working!). I didn't know that :( If I had, I would have been doing some waiting myself

danyoung
02-05-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Kevy Baby
I didn't know that :( If I had, I would have been doing some waiting myself

Unfortunately it got pretty bad there, to where maybe one or two cars had the sound working - the rest had no red light. Bummer!

Mark Goldhaber
02-05-2004, 06:30 PM
Bonus question: Who can name the piece of music "adapted" by Dick Dale for the Space Mountain soundtrack?

CoasterMatt
02-05-2004, 07:36 PM
Aquarium, from Saint Saens Carnival of the Animals

Mark Goldhaber
02-05-2004, 07:40 PM
DINGDINGDING! We have a winner! :D

My 5YO son points it out every time it plays on the CD. :)

Melaniee
02-15-2004, 11:19 PM
I've been on that ride many times, I never remember a music track. hrmph. *pout*

We did (in our single-digit days) always yell "Chips A Hoy!"

Pat-n-Eil
03-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Somewhere around here someone said they were redoing the same music with the same track and Dick Dale was still going to be the artist. I sure hope so.

I had gone so far as to burn an MP3 of the Space Mountain soundtrack and I was going ot wear a walkman on the ride so I could recreate the whole experience!

tahnok100
03-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Pat&Eil
Somewhere around here someone said they were redoing the same music with the same track and Dick Dale was still going to be the artist. I sure hope so.

Umm... not a chance. Disney burned bridges with Dick Dale. From what I hear he will never work with Disney again. However, as far as I know they are going to keep the old soundtrack, but don't quote me.

DivaPrincess, That was a rumor a while back, but as far as I know the idea is kinda dead.

AB Born
03-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by tahnok100
Disney burned bridges with Dick Dale.

...Kinda like they did with Harrison Ford doing the soundtrack for Indiana Jones?

9oldmen
03-08-2004, 01:19 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by tahnok100
Disney burned bridges with Dick Dale.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...Kinda like they did with Harrison Ford doing the soundtrack for Indiana Jones?

Or burned bridges with Lucas for a new Stars Tours movie/ride program, or burned bridges with Pixar.