PDA

View Full Version : "Snow" Billboards?

SoCalTinkerbelle
02-03-2004, 08:20 PM
Sorry if this has been covered.. but tonight I saw 2 Disneyland Resort billboards.. white with blue writing.. and OK, I'm really dumb, I don't remember what they said. Something like "Snow is Coming" ... don't kill me! Anyone know what those are about? It says Feb. 23 on it as well.
I live about 45 minutes from DL.. dunno if that makes a difference.

MonorailMan
02-03-2004, 08:32 PM
It's for the Snow White Musical. :)

Bruce Bergman
02-03-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by SoCalTinkerbelle
Sorry if this has been covered.. but tonight I saw 2 Disneyland Resort billboards.. white with blue writing.. and OK, I'm really dumb, I don't remember what they said. Something like "Snow is Coming" ... don't kill me! Anyone know what those are about? It says Feb. 23 on it as well.
<snip>

They are teaser ads for a new stage show that is now in rehearsals in the Fantasyland Theatre. Opening to the Public February 23 2004.

They don't want to start the full ad campaign early, and have a lot of dissapointed kids and parents who can't (or won't) grasp the concept of "Opening in three weeks" and want to see it NOW!!

(Some of these people come charging into City Hall like Violet Beaurigard (sp?) demanding refunds and comp tickets to make up for their "Ruined Day" because they came to Disneyland JUST to see that show... :rolleyes: )

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

Not Afraid
02-03-2004, 08:36 PM
My vote for the dumbest billboards ever. Great concept, doesn't work for this particular ad.

They say, simply:

Snow is Coming

February 23

The first one I saw was on the 405 South just after LAX. The only reason I made the connection is that it is on a billboard that usually features Disney. If it took ME a while to get it, I can't imagine Joe Normal catching on very quickly.

THEN....when they do make it clear, I think people will be underwhelmed. A 30 min Snow White show at DL is NOTHING compared to everything else going on in LA.

I know thhis type of marketing is becoming more popular, I just don't think it works here.

SoCalTinkerbelle
02-04-2004, 08:43 AM
Thanks guys! Yeah, at first I was like "well, they did the snow thing during Christmas time..." and then I was like "new ride?? no, they have a snow white ride!" ... so I was way confused :)

mousetrap adam
02-04-2004, 10:29 PM
As of today, the "Snow Is Coming" billboard on the 5 North near Carmenita has a DL logo in the bottom right corner. (Actually I can't remember now if it's a DL or DLR logo -- but it's a logo nonetheless.)

At any rate though, the picture's getting clearer.... ;)

--Mo (who, for some reason, cracks a smile every time he passes said billboard)

Tigertail777
02-04-2004, 11:45 PM
I havnt seen the billboards, but I have to throw in some speculation... I wonder if they are trying to arouse peoples curiousity first, then a little at a time reveal more about it? Kinda like when pink floyd came out with pink floyd the wall.. they had a billboard that was just white bricks, every few days they removed a brick to reveal more of the message behind them.

It sounds like brilliant marketing if thats what they are doing. Its simple, its catchy it stays in yer head. Stupid commercials on tv do the same... whether you like them or not the stupidity of it sticks in your mind. Except this is even better, its got a kind of class to it that perfectly fits the theme.

Personally I like the concept.

danyoung
02-05-2004, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Tigertail777
I wonder if they are trying to arouse peoples curiousity first, then a little at a time reveal more about it? Kinda like when pink floyd came out with pink floyd the wall.. they had a billboard that was just white bricks, every few days they removed a brick to reveal more of the message behind them.

Yes, this is exactly what they're doing. These kind of ads started out many years back with simple promotions like "Watch This Space", and have been refined over the years by millions of dollars in ad agency research. I think they work very nicely, especially with the commuting public who passes by these same billboards every day. Builds anticipation, catches the attention, and even if you are not really interested in a theme park show, at least you were watching the ad space to see what was coming. Very effective.

spectromen
02-05-2004, 07:14 AM
Isn't it funny, though, that a company that's been doing advertising for 50 years still couldn't remember to put the DL logo on the billboards and is now having to go back and add them? Another costly mistake.

LSPoorEeyorick
02-05-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by spectromen
Isn't it funny, though, that a company that's been doing advertising for 50 years still couldn't remember to put the DL logo on the billboards and is now having to go back and add them? Another costly mistake.

I doubt that's the reason. I suspect it's, as state above, a gradually-updated marketing series to draw interest in the mystery product.

Universal Hollywood did it recently for their Shrek 4D, starting out with only 3-D glasses, eventually adding a Universal logo, some text, and then Shrek behind the glasses.

danyoung
02-05-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by spectromen

I'm not sure if you're posting tongue in cheek, so I'm going to assume you're being serious.

Disney and their ad agency didn't forget a thing - it's all planned.
That is the whole point of this type of advertising. Tease the public with a word or a term or a picture, and get them watching the billboard day after day, waiting for more information. By the time the full message is revealed, people's interest has been piqued, and there's water cooler talk about "gee I wonder what that billboard is all about." It's all about building interest, and it works beautifully.

cutiepie
02-06-2004, 10:48 AM
yeah Dan totally agree-I was stumped (like my normal idiot self) at first-but figured it out from you all. Am really looking forward to the show-and the advertising while mysterious definitely peaked my interest to find out more about what it was for?

Surely not snow on the 55 freeway:)