PDA

View Full Version : DLR Announces Construction of New Hotel & Parking Structure, Eastern Gateway shelved

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tony
10-25-2017, 01:15 PM
Disneyland announced details of two projects today - the new 4-diamond hotel and construction of a new parking structure next to Mickey and Friends. Additionally, the Eastern Gateway project has been shelved for now.

The new hotel was announced a few years ago, but now a timeline has been established, with the new 700-room hotel opening in 2021. It will sit on the land currently occupied by the ESPN Zone, AMC theater, and Earl of Sandwich restaurant. Construction will begin in the summer of 2018. Operating participants of the closing locations have already been notified, and there will be potential retail opportunities on the ground floor of the new hotel.

The Mickey and Friends parking structure will gain a 6500-space sibling, constructed on what is currently the Pinocchio lot. It will also include a revamped tram loading area and guest welcoming area, and will dramatically improve inbound traffic. Construction begins next February and will be completed in 2019.

MousePlanet has also confirmed that the Eastern Gateway project, revamping entry from the Harbor Blvd hotels to the resort, has been shelved for the time being.

---------------------------

New Hotel Coming to the Disneyland Resort in 2021

We have some exciting news to share with you today about continuing expansion and growth of the Disneyland Resort. For the first time in almost two decades, we will open a new Four Diamond hotel! Set to open in 2021, this hotel will transform the west end of the Downtown Disney District and anchor a new gateway to the Disneyland Resort.

The stunning 700-room hotel will feature a sophisticated design and be a game-changer for Anaheim, creating a dynamic dining, entertainment and hotel experience for resort visitors and local residents. Extensive landscaping and water elements will create a resort oasis, showcasing nature on every level of the hotel. The hotel’s location embraces the iconic Disneyland Monorail with a dedicated platform inside the hotel for direct transport into Disneyland park.

Guest rooms, public spaces and gardens will provide views of the Downtown Disney District. In addition, an upper-level restaurant and lounge will give guests a view of the popular Disneyland park fireworks.

The ground level of the hotel will include shops and restaurants opening onto an expansive landscaped plaza complete with playful water features, creating a gathering place for guests and visitors. The new hotel also connects all four Hotels of the Disneyland Resort through lush gardens and beautifully landscaped walkways, transforming the gateway on the west side and creating a welcoming entry for our Disneyland Resort guests.

And that’s not all. This new hotel creates great benefits for the community, generating approximately $25 million in new taxes in its first five years of operation that go directly to Anaheim’s general fund. It also will create thousands of additional construction and permanent jobs and attract new hotel guests to the resort area.

Construction is scheduled to start in summer 2018, with a grand opening slated for 2021. Check back here for updates!

------------------------------

Parking and Transportation Improvements Coming to the Disneyland Resort

As part of the multi-year expansion of the Disneyland Resort, we are upgrading, improving and adding new parking and transportation enhancements that have been long envisioned for the resort. The centerpiece of this plan is an all-new parking structure to be built on the current Pinocchio surface parking lot next to Mickey & Friends.

This new 6,500-space structure is designed to dramatically improve parking and traffic flow throughout the resort. It is expected to significantly speed up guest arrival by providing a 60 percent increase in the number of access lanes and adding additional parking capacity on the west side of the resort.

The additional parking capacity and access lanes will streamline vehicle arrivals on the west side of the resort and eliminate backups onto city streets. In addition, the tram boarding area will be reconfigured to enhance the transportation experience for guests parking at both the new structure and Mickey & Friends.

Construction is scheduled to begin in February 2018, with the structure set to open the following year.

laurawill
10-25-2017, 01:30 PM
This is really exciting news!

Did Disney end up tearing down the Carousel Inn or is it still there? I know it was once part of the Eastern Gateway project and that is why they purchased it and closed it, but just curious if they will end up re-opening it...

s0rt0ffairytale
10-25-2017, 01:33 PM
does this mean the end of Earl's?? =(

laurawill
10-25-2017, 01:38 PM
does this mean the end of Earl's?? =(

It is my hope that maybe Earl's can move to one of the spaces that had closures announced over the summer (Ridemakerz, Chapel Hats, Build A Bear).... No real idea though just blind speculation.

s0rt0ffairytale
10-25-2017, 01:44 PM
It is my hope that maybe Earl's can move to one of the spaces that had closures announced over the summer (Ridemakerz, Chapel Hats, Build A Bear).... No real idea though just blind speculation.

I'm crossing my fingers for that as well. It would be a shame for them to leave DTD

olegc
10-25-2017, 01:58 PM
This is really exciting news!

Did Disney end up tearing down the Carousel Inn or is it still there? I know it was once part of the Eastern Gateway project and that is why they purchased it and closed it, but just curious if they will end up re-opening it...

Its still up

I think that Starbucks and Earl could both be part of the new hotel landscape with retail and food establishments within the boundaries of the hotel. One site speculated, based on plans they saw, that this hotel may have multiple buildings. The two interesting things I'd like to know is how are they going to structure the DtD parking for those guests as well as an entrance to DTD. That entrance may determine how people not only get into the DtD area but also reach the Monorail station now that it will be inside the new hotel building instead of a self-standing structure. The announcement mentions a garden on the west side allowing for connection of all four hotels - so the hotel building will tie closely to Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel. Maybe more DtD parking will be diverted there and/or the new building and less reliant on the current lot. Hmmm - I wonder if the Dland Hotel itself will be tiered any differently because there will be a hotel right next door (which you have to walk through to get to the Disneyland Hotel) that will be much more upscale.

It will be interesting to see the plans. EDIT - after looking at the photo, seems pretty clear that a walkway will exist from the existing parking lot right next to the monorail location.

What's really interesting is that other parking lot in the image behind Paradise Pier. Obviously a rendering - but the idea is there to build a large lot tied to the hotels maybe?

Finally - this may also signal a real end to RunDisney races... No place to finish it with the current routes. Again - based on the two renderings.

Berry Princess
10-25-2017, 02:57 PM
Well there was obviously more construction to go on then we heard before. I hope it won't be the end to RunDisney here but do hope it will show to those not believing the construction being the reason to relax with assuming there is some deep rooted secret not being told. LOL

It also looks like not only it will effect Earl and Starbucks but the AMC, ESPN and Rainforest Cafe. I was wondering if they would just include some of those things into the hotel somehow but who knows. For me the only thing I would go to is Starbucks but its in the parks and still a DTD location. Yet I can see them keeping a 2nd location down that way with the hotel. My first thought was the same as a few of you in that a couple of those could be why Build A Bear and Ridemakerz is going away.It will be interesting to see how it ends up though. I will assume it will be an even higher price then the Grand is for the stay too. I was curious about the DTD parking with all this and where that will end up as well.

Glad to see they are doing another parking structure over by M&F. With the other one having issues getting off the ground they needed something else. I'm sure more so since I am going to guess that is where you will need to park for DTD as well and all the changes in fees for it lately have been getting you prepared to have to just pay the fee for parking...maybe???

RunningFool
10-25-2017, 09:08 PM
And notice after all the snitting by the Mayor and City Counsel, there is mention of the new tax revenue for the city...

And thats not all. This new hotel creates great benefits for the community, generating approximately $25 million in new taxes in its first five years of operation that go directly to Anaheims general fund. It also will create thousands of additional construction and permanent jobs and attract new hotel guests to the resort area.

I do hope Earl finds a new home in DT Disney.

olegc
10-25-2017, 09:15 PM
And notice after all the snitting by the Mayor and City Counsel, there is mention of the new tax revenue for the city...

And thats not all. This new hotel creates great benefits for the community, generating approximately $25 million in new taxes in its first five years of operation that go directly to Anaheims general fund. It also will create thousands of additional construction and permanent jobs and attract new hotel guests to the resort area.

I do hope Earl finds a new home in DT Disney.But wait - didn't the original story of this hotel, when it was in the North end of the DtD lot, include reference to a tax deal where if 4 star hotels are built then the owners/builders get to hold on to tax revenue for a few years before the city starts to collect? Did that expire?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Berry Princess
10-25-2017, 09:17 PM
This is why I will never get why the Mayor and those on the City Counsel are so anti Disney. The fact is they get a lot of money from that area. Disney is fulfilling their side of the deal made in order to keep the tax of tickets. They said they would expand things and create more jobs by doing so. Which between the new land, parking structure and a hotel it does that. As well as they will also need to hire more to help handle the crowds to come from the new land when it opens. With all that it will attract more visitors that will equal more money to all in that area and the city. So why make an enemy of those that bring in that kind of money to the city? I know politics and all...just never makes sense in the end with how they behave. LOL

AVP
10-25-2017, 09:38 PM
Did Disney end up tearing down the Carousel Inn or is it still there? I know it was once part of the Eastern Gateway project and that is why they purchased it and closed it, but just curious if they will end up re-opening it...It will be demolished in the next few weeks as originally planned, and will remain a flat lot until Disney decides how to proceed on the East side of property.

does this mean the end of Earl's?? =(Earl of Sandwich, Starbucks, Rainforest Cafe, ESPN Zone and the AMC Theater will all be closed and the buildings leveled for this project. Disney is individually negotiating with them about future opportunities in the new hotel and elsewhere in DtD.

But wait - didn't the original story of this hotel, when it was in the North end of the DtD lot, include reference to a tax deal where if 4 star hotels are built then the owners/builders get to hold on to tax revenue for a few years before the city starts to collect? Did that expire?No, and as I understand it, this hotel still qualifies.

AVP

olegc
10-26-2017, 08:01 AM
No, and as I understand it, this hotel still qualifies.

AVP

so does that mean the touted $25M in taxes that goes to the city would be delayed - or is that a portion of a larger projected number? Just curious since advertising more taxes but not realizing them for a few years is a little more PR than substance. Long term its probably great.

currence
10-26-2017, 08:57 AM
so does that mean the touted $25M in taxes that goes to the city would be delayed - or is that a portion of a larger projected number? Just curious since advertising more taxes but not realizing them for a few years is a little more PR than substance. Long term its probably great.

This was bugging me so I did a little research/math ... then I found an online article with the answer :)

First, the math:

Disney touted $25M over 5 years - so average $5M per year. This is $13,698.63 per day or $19.57 per room, if all 700 rooms were at full occupancy. At $500 per night, the 15% Anaheim TOT tax has a value of $85.

The deal Disney reached only allows them to keep 70% of the TOT (hotel) tax, so on that $500 hotel room, $25.5 would go back to the City of Anaheim. Of course, the rooms may be higher/lower than $500 per night (I picked that based on the Grand Cal room rates) and not every room will be sold every night.

Then I found this article (https://voiceofoc.org/2016/06/disneylands-recent-hotel-tax-subsidy-request-is-largest-in-anaheim-history/):

An application for the subsidy submitted by Disneyland states that the first year of operation would generate $14.7 million in room tax revenue, 70 percent of which – or $10.3 million — would be rebated back to Disneyland.

I think that Disney is just hyping what it was already committed to providing - to remind people that there is a benefit to the City. And apparently they've decided to raise prices, or expect that they will raise prices over the 5 year period, or they couldn't get to the full $25M based only on year one's contributions of $4.4M times five.

olegc
10-26-2017, 08:59 AM
Thanks for that insight.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

shamoney
10-26-2017, 11:13 AM
I'm guessing this hotel will not be any more affordable than the other Disney hotels already in the area. Do you think Disney would ever offer more affordable hotel options in Anaheim like it does in Orlando?

pixar
10-26-2017, 11:17 AM
I'm guessing this hotel will not be any more affordable than the other Disney hotels already in the area. Do you think Disney would ever offer more affordable hotel options in Anaheim like it does in Orlando?

I don't think Disney will ever build more affordable options in Anaheim as they don't have space to build them.

BlkPearlCptn
10-26-2017, 11:26 AM
Hope they can cut a deal with Earl and Rainforest to stay. We just discovered Earl's and Rainforest has been an "must go every visit" since it opened.

shamoney
10-26-2017, 11:38 AM
I don't think Disney will ever build more affordable options in Anaheim as they don't have space to build them.They are building a 700 room hotel now and own more property in the area. I'm not sure space is the issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

currence
10-26-2017, 11:47 AM
Space is much more of an issue at DLR than WDW. I foresee them downgrading the older hotels and charging less (relative to the new hotels). But I don't see them ever building something like the All Star Hotels in CA.

shamoney
10-26-2017, 12:42 PM
Space is much more of an issue at DLR than WDW. I foresee them downgrading the older hotels and charging less (relative to the new hotels). But I don't see them ever building something like the All Star Hotels in CA.I would love something like All Stars in Anaheim, but if they were to downgrade rooms to under $200/night at least it would be something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

cstephens
10-26-2017, 02:41 PM
Do you think Disney would ever offer more affordable hotel options in Anaheim like it does in Orlando?

They don't really need to. There are a ton of affordable hotel options being offered by other parties fairly close to Disneyland, and they offer perqs as good neighbor partners and such, are walking distance or have shuttles.

In Orlando, the nearest non-Disney hotel is pretty far away and they don't offer the amenities that staying on property affords.

Berry Princess
10-26-2017, 03:20 PM
I would love something like All Stars in Anaheim, but if they were to downgrade rooms to under $200/night at least it would be something.Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Many years ago it was under that price. The first time we stayed at the Paradise Pier it was under 200 for the night. That was 6 yrs ago. Then a few years ago they had a deal for APers at the end of Aug/beginning of Sept that had the price of Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel go down to those prices from that time. Which I only remember the years because my middle child turned 9 the first time we did it and our last one turned 9 that time. So that was 3 yrs ago. With how Disney is though, I can see the new hotel being more then the Grand is. I don't see them dropping prices on any of their hotels at all but more so increasing them over the next couple of years because of that new land opening.

They don't really need to. There are a ton of affordable hotel options being offered by other parties fairly close to Disneyland, and they offer perqs as good neighbor partners and such, are walking distance or have shuttles.

In Orlando, the nearest non-Disney hotel is pretty far away and they don't offer the amenities that staying on property affords.

Exactly. Of course the non-Disney ones though have gone up a great deal as well over the years. Which its not just in that area but all over the place no matter the location from what I have seen. Sadly, the facts are that the costs of taking a vacation anywhere is not cheap.

olegc
10-26-2017, 03:41 PM

I think though that there is a slow disappearance of affordable options (two hotels transforming to 4 star, right? ) so in the short term there will be good options. Long term its not as obvious.

Also - at WDW some of the non-Disney hotels near Disney Springs will start offering Fastpass+ reservations in advance just like for Disney property hotels. so some perks are being shared.

currence
10-26-2017, 04:50 PM
I think though that there is a slow disappearance of affordable options (two hotels transforming to 4 star, right? ) so in the short term there will be good options. Long term its not as obvious.

I think that this is part of the City of Anaheim's master plan for the resort district. A bunch of 5-star (or 4-diamond) resorts will bring in more tax revenue than an equal number of cheaper hotels. Indeed, if they can upgrade a hotel from being $100 per night to over $350 per night, then they make a tiny bit more overall even though they only get to keep 30% for the first 20 years.

Berry Princess
10-26-2017, 05:07 PM
I think that this is part of the City of Anaheim's master plan for the resort district. A bunch of 5-star (or 4-diamond) resorts will bring in more tax revenue than an equal number of cheaper hotels. Indeed, if they can upgrade a hotel from being $100 per night to over $350 per night, then they make a tiny bit more overall even though they only get to keep 30% for the first 20 years.

While I can see the city wanting more of those kinds, the sad fact is hotels are just not cheap no matter what. I have looked for us to just get away for a weekend in cities that don't have any big draw to them like theme parks or conventions and such and they are way over priced as well. But when it comes to Disney's area and if the city really would like it that way then the city needs to do their part of things and handle the homeless situation going on around there and a few other issues as well.