PDA

View Full Version : Why don't characters at Disneyland talk?

Pages : [1] 2

Daveylegs
02-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Please help me come up with an answer for my 5 year old. He is always asking why Mickey Mouse and his friends don't talk. Telling him that they're just shy doesn't seem to satisfy him.

Cadaverous Pallor
02-02-2004, 12:59 PM
I'd tell you to tell your child the truth. He's already smart enough to know something is amiss. If the "they're shy" thing isn't even working, then I'd think it's time to come clean. Bright kid you have there! :)

But of course I'd be crucified by some of the parents on this board for recommending such a horrible thing, so I'll say nothing of the sort. ;)

Bill Catherall
02-02-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
I'd tell you to tell your child the truth. That's exactly what I did when my son was about 5. His cousin (same age) was wondering why Pooh pulled her over closer to him when we were taking a picture instead of "using his words." I couldn't think up an "excuse" fast enough so I just went with the truth. They took it just fine. It made sense to them. They still like seeing the characters. The magic isn't spoiled.

However, he told another one of his friends about the "people in costumes" and really broke her heart. But she wasn't being inquisitive about it. If she was I'm sure she would have been ready to hear the truth.

Are you not telling him the truth because you are worried it will spoil the fun for him or for yourself? I don't ask that accusingly, I just wonder. I mean, I haven't told my son about Santa because that would spoil my fun. ;)

mamabot
02-02-2004, 01:23 PM
In order to get Brian on POTC, which he had been on a couple dozen times already, we had to tell him that the Pirates were all robots and they could not see him.

He thought the Pirates would get him in the boat. We knew he loved the ride from past experience, so we just wanted him to know there was nothing to fear.

Afterward, he told us that it was his favorite ride. Go figure.

Sometimes the curtain needs to be lifted a bit to help kids understand what they are seeing.

As for why characters don't talk, you could say something about how the characters don't want to be embarrassed by forgetting a child's name when they see him again, so they just stay quiet.

ChipmunkStar
02-02-2004, 01:45 PM
Standard response:

"The characters need to save their voices for their movies and their shows."

If they come back with "But they're not in any!" then I always say "Not that you know about." Usually shuts people up in the time I'm seeing them anyways.

experiment626
02-02-2004, 02:01 PM
Why not respond with a "what do you think?" Let him come up with a reason.

Morrigoon
02-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Because it's more fun to play charades.

Take your child to NOS some Sunday afternoon and introduce him to Lagniappe, the mime. We have a lot of fun with Lagniappe specifcally because he doesn't speak. Explain to him that most of the characters (not the princesses because they're boring girls who have cooties ;) ) like the fun of playing charades. Also, since they do need their voices for their movies and shows, their doctors tell them to play charades as much as possible and save their voices so they sound good on screen. This will make more sense after a few minutes with Lagniappe.

MonorailMan
02-02-2004, 03:17 PM
There's the legal man's excuse:

"We must keep all character to guest interaction at a minimum. This way, no cartoon character can show a segregationist style attitude to our non toon-y friends. By not talking, they remain in an unbiased state, which is good for the company." :p

Then, I have my little (just thought-up of) explanation for the kids:

"Characters can only communicate via sound in their cartoon world. This is because of the limitations of the cartoon world. It's complicated to explain, but trust me." ;) Then if they ask about ToonTown, I say "Ahh, good point. However, considering that Mickey and the gang want to see all of us people so often, that they don't want to keep switching worlds. In ToonTown, they can enjoy the best of both worlds, and gives them a "home away from home" type feel, just as I get when I come to Disneyland!" :) :D

cemeinke
02-02-2004, 07:19 PM
The explanation is simple - Ursula, under the direction of Michael Eisner, has stolen all their voices to use for voiceover work in sequels and other films the orginal characters would never agree to make.

Better give them a hug in the hopes of breaking the spell

disneydreams
02-02-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
...Ursala...

Dude, you spelled her name incorrectly. :D

U-R-S-U-L-A

:fez:

cemeinke
02-02-2004, 07:32 PM
I don't know what you're talking about

disneydreams
02-02-2004, 07:36 PM
what's this?

Last edited by cemeinke on 02-02-2004 at 08:32 PM

:eek: :D

cemeinke
02-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Something you ate?
:p

zapppop
02-02-2004, 07:48 PM
Perhaps it was the tentacles?

Not Afraid
02-02-2004, 07:59 PM
Sheep don't have tenticles.

Oh. Better go back to sleep.;)

Moonliner
02-02-2004, 08:00 PM
Don't let this happen to your kids!!

As a teen I worked as a costume character at the local Six Flags type park. It never ceased to amaze me when an early teen would come up to me (while I was in costume of course...) look me over REAL carefully and then proudly announce to the world at large "Hey, there's a man in there!".

So please, Please, PLEASE tell your kids the truth ASAP!

MonorailMan
02-02-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Steve0
"Hey, there's a man in there!".

Wow, that must have been a large meal.... ;) :D

Moonliner
02-02-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
Wow, that must have been a large meal.... ;) :D

Hey! Was that a weight joke? If so I'd just like to state for the record that I'm certianly not that, errr well I'm really not all that, ummm well I'm, ohhh never mind. Carry on.

disneydreams
02-02-2004, 10:37 PM
you strange strange ppl :D

NA spelled tentacles incorrectly but I don't really mind that cuz she's cool
unlike A FEW PEOPLE *evil glare* ;) :eek: j/k! lol :D :D {{hug}}

back to cramming *opens textbook*

:fez:

BJW
02-02-2004, 11:17 PM
With the characters and everything else at theme parks I like to compare it to pro wrestling (since I'm a pro-wrestling fan.) We know everything is fake, both competitors are cooperating not to hurt each other, and they know the outcome beforehand, etc. However, people watch anyway because its fun and a chance to get away from the real world for awhile. Even young children do not get it spoiled for them. I think the same principle applies here. I don't see why kids wouldn't still have a fun time knowing that everything is just a "show." I mean we all know the ball on Indy is fake, but we still scream. I think kids would still appreciate the entertainment of meeting the characters even though they know they are not real. Kids do the same thing on the playground and they know how to pretend. That is just what they are doing at Disneyland. (Although I hate to say that Disneyland is a giant playground.)

BJW
02-02-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
Perhaps it was the tentacles?
Zappop:
I was just curious about something, do you know whether or not the slip up in Fantasmic was intentional or did they honestly get the word wrong (in Ursula's monologue) accidentally? I was wondering if you know the real story behind this? It's weird they haven't changed after all these years and two overhauls. Just think, parents complained about the fairy godmother's dialogue in "Steps in Time" but not this. :confused:

disneydreams
02-02-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by BJW
Zappop:

psst!
correction:
uncapitalized 'z'
and
three 'p's in the middle

so!
ye get: zapppop ;)
or simply poop :~D

(I think I should be the official Spellcheck person) :D

:D

battle of the bull run eh?

stan4d_steph
02-03-2004, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Davidscot
Please help me come up with an answer for my 5 year old. He is always asking why Mickey Mouse and his friends don't talk. Telling him that they're just shy doesn't seem to satisfy him. I agree with the earlier poster who suggested asking your son what he thinks. If "They're shy" doesn't satisfy him, maybe he has figured out that there are people inside the costumes, maybe not.

Daveylegs
02-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Thank you for the enthusiastic responses! I didn't expect so many! They are appreciated.

I hate saying this but I never thought about just giving it to him straight. He loves Santa and totally loved the Disney characters when we visited last year.

He's smart and I'll probably break it to him gently before we leave. I don't think it will ruin the magic. But as any parent can attest, it's tough watching their innocense slip away.:crying:

DuffMan
02-03-2004, 02:26 PM
In order to get Brian on POTC, which he had been on a couple dozen times already, we had to tell him that the Pirates were all robots and they could not see him.
I distinctly remember the exact same thing happening to me when I was a jittery kid. I even remember being scared of the steam-shooting pistols, thinking, "Well just 'cuz they can't see me doesn't mean their bullets can't maybe go off in an unexpected direction!!" But shortly thereafter it became MY favorite ride too.

I don't think it necessarily equates to a loss of innocence. I credit my continued love of rides like that with the maintenance of what few shreds of innocence I still have. No matter whether I know what's behind the curtain or not.