PDA

View Full Version : ATTN all Pin Traders/PinPics visitors/PocketPC users...

mcampisi
10-05-2001, 04:15 PM
If you have visted PinPics.com, you know they have a great online database as well as a portable version of it for the Palm Pilot. I have been working with them for the last 2 months to create a PocketPC version of this searchable database. We released the beta version today and I wanted to notify anyone who might care to download it and try it out.

It uses the same database that is found at PinPics (http://www.pinpics.com), although the beta release does not have daily updates just yet (they work, but are not implemented in this version). The only requirements for it are a PocketPC (iPaq, Jornada, Casiopeia) and about 4 megs of free space (can be on the unit or on a memory card).

We are already working on the next version that will include more features and a personal pin inventory system.

If you'd like to try it out, we need as much feedback and as many comments as we can get. We are trying to design a program that Pin Traders want, not what we think they want.

You can get some more information (sorry for the lack of screenshots right now) at http://www.campisi-central.com/pinpal.

Sorry to come off sounding more like an ad than someone making an announcement! Well, off to the Haunted Mansion!!

[Moderator's note: vB code fixed so URL works. --Lani]

Nigel2
10-05-2001, 10:03 PM
Great its like a vest, but you can hold it in your hands, what the fun of tiping them over, they wont get turtled.:D

stan4d_steph
10-05-2001, 10:30 PM
Yeah, um, so if there are any nice pin people out there going tomorrow to DL to pick up the first limited edition Nightmare Mansion pin, would it be possible for you to get an extra one for me? My pass is blocked out and I'm afraid they'll all be gone by SUnday. Man, the SOCal pass seems to be turning into more of a pain than anything. Anyway, I'll stop grovelling now.

To stay on topic, if I had a palm-top, this would be very cool and I would definitely take a look. :)

Nigel2
10-05-2001, 10:44 PM
Sure they will get you one, as long as you pay 20 times what its worth and bow to them.:D Or you could just tip them, take the pin and run.

Lani
10-05-2001, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by mcampisi
If you'd like to try it out, we need as much feedback and as many comments as we can get. We are trying to design a program that Pin Traders want, not what we think they want.Don't worry about sounding like an ad, mcampisi. Beta testing is always a great way to tweak anything before the general release, so you're on the right track! You might also consider posting to some of the Pocket PC Web site discussion forums... with 80% of PDA users using a Palm OS device, it's sometimes tough finding folks who use that "other" system (you know, that Micro$oft one -- LOL). If it were on a Palm OS I'd be happy to give it a beta test for you; alas, for once I am in the majority OS camp, so I can't help you! :crying:

LKSearcy
10-06-2001, 05:11 PM
:cool: I downloaded your program and it works fine. How often would these be updated?

I don't really collect many pins, but I use my iPAQ frequently and wanted to help out. I went to the Disney Store and got Snow White today and plan on getting this set. :cool:

mcampisi
10-06-2001, 05:34 PM
The pin database will be updated daily, the same as the Palm Pilot version PinPics.com offers. I figure I will have the updating software in place in about 2 weeks. The current database that is in the beta version is about a week old.

I know the number of us PocketPC users is small, but this was fun to create and support!