PDA

View Full Version : DCA's narrative Attraction

Loric
01-29-2004, 09:40 PM
I figured it out!

I'm sitting listening to a group of people talk about the difference between the Jungle cruise and the Land's boat ride, and it hits me.

The fundamental flaw in DCA is the lack of a cheesey narrated attraction!

Think about it.. DL and MK both have the "humorous" Jungle Cruise. Epcot has Living with the Land, MGM has the Great Movie Ride, and AK has Kilamanjaro Safariis.

Maybe a long, droning, cast-member sanity-erasing speil is what DCA needs? I mean, even non-Disney parks like Universal Studios FL has the Jaws boat ride (with guns and ammo too!) and even Busch Gardens in Tampa has Rhino Ralley.

It's quite possible that more people have packed into the boats at Epcot and listened to someone speak "clinically" about plants than have ever set foot in DCA. Come to think of it, this ride, which is entirely just someone talking about plants (it's admittedly interesting, but certainly not what anyone thinks of when they think of a "ride" at Disney), has Fast Pass and fairly a long line.

So, what on earth could they put in? Maybe a make-over of SuperStar limo...? Seems like a good place to put a cheesey narration..

Ideas?

sleepyjeff
01-29-2004, 10:27 PM
Yes, Yes, Yes... a narrated SSL would be great...especially if it was done "Mystery Science Theater 3000" style.:)

Loric
01-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by sleepyjeff
Yes, Yes, Yes... a narrated SSL would be great...especially if it was done "Mystery Science Theater 3000" style.:)

But wouldn't that be cruelty to CMs? Make them see that "thing" over and over again? Then again.. Land CMs do have to talk about plants all day...

TP2000
01-30-2004, 12:00 AM
Well, there is that really boring show in the Animation building where the CM talks with Mushu for 15 minutes in front of a dozen guests who realize the auditorium is too well lit to sneak out. I forget the name of it.... "Animator's Palette" or something like that.

But your right, there isn't the traditional CM Tour Guide type ride at DCA. But then DCA lacks a lot of things, and I'm not sure this type of ride should be first on the fix-it list for the park.

stan4d_steph
01-30-2004, 05:05 AM
Narrated boat rides seem to be popular with guests. I doubt they would spend the money to put one in, but I'm sure they could come up with something that would fit with the theme. A journey through the history of CA (without Whoopi from Golden Dreams) maybe.

genenpet
01-30-2004, 09:41 AM
We're now cruising the rivers of hollywood blvd.

I'd like to point out some of my favorite flops here in the jungle...

And now a sight rarely seen, get your cameras ready everyone - the backside of an awful theme park... Oh wait, you see this from the Timon trams...

He's the head salesman here at the park and he's got a killer deal for you. Buy a real theme park ticket, and get this other theme park ticket for free...

On your left, the line for Golden Dreams. That line can reach anywhere from 12 inches to almost one foot - during the high season.

If you enjoyed this tour, this is the DCA Cruise and my name is genenpet, if you didn't you're smarter then Eisner and Pressler gave you credit for...

sediment
01-30-2004, 11:32 AM
Hey, I own the rights to the idea of making SSL a send-up!

I also propose that all of DCA be a sendup of California! Sure, the native APs might not like it, but the out-a-towners will enjoy the digs at the "supposably" superior culture.

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23800&perpage=30&pagenumber=2

3IdAlienKid
01-31-2004, 09:22 PM
originally posted by Loric
The fundamental flaw in DCA is the lack of a cheesey narrated attraction!

Think about it.. DL and MK both have the "humorous" Jungle Cruise. Epcot has Living with the Land, MGM has the Great Movie Ride, and AK has Kilamanjaro Safariis.I think what you're hitting on is that DCA has very little in terms of storytelling. DL has attractions that tell stories (HM, POTC, Peter Pan, HISTA, Splash Mtn, etc. And yes, the Jungle Cruise). As a master storyteller himself, Walt Disney's desire (one of them anyway) for building DL was to advance storytelling to a new three-dimensional level using new technology.

However, DCA has very little in this department -- it has relatively few attractions that tell stories. Most of the park has a bunch of themed attractions, but with little story to tell, like Screamin'. Tower of Terror is a step in the right direction because it tells a specific story which helps make it as popular as it is in Florida, though I have doubts TDA knows this is one of the reasons it's so popular.

BrerFox
02-02-2004, 11:54 AM
What do you call that awful movie with Woppie Goldburg in it! Thats a terrible narrated "air conditioned" attraction if I ever saw one!
At lease the air conditioning is good:~D

Dexter
02-02-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by BrerFox
What do you call that awful movie with Woppie Goldburg in it! Thats a terrible narrated "air conditioned" attraction if I ever saw one!
At lease the air conditioning is good:~D

Well it's called Golden Dreams, I call it the feel good movie cause they try to make you feel good by showing you that montage at the end.....<shrugs>