PDA

View Full Version : GOTG MB - Monsters After Dark - observation

olegc
09-19-2017, 10:28 PM
I attended the parks blog galactic meet up tonight and rode the GOTG attraction with the Monsters After Dark overlay (well, not the elevator part). While trying to not give away parts of the attraction I have a question for those that have been on both versions. Do you find that the MAD version really requires you to know the backstory of Guardians and what happened the first time in the attraction? based on the queue elements and the video segments it just seems to me that this version more than other overlays or follow on attractions definitely requires knowledge of what previously happened. Any kind of reference tends to be so quickly delivered you miss it. And some parts are so dark you don't see the parts of the attraction. I would think that some people may need to ride it once in the daytime and then come back to ride at night - which ultimately is what they want you to do in the first place - right?

indiejones33
09-20-2017, 08:42 AM
We rode MAD on Monday and loved it! I think this version is better than the Before Dark version! From the sights, sounds, costume overlay, and “ghosts” this version is amped up! I felt that the ride was so much more intense also. Maybe the heavy metal music played a part, but it seems that the amount of ups and downs were more in number.

As far as knowing what happens in Guardians and the before dark version I think it helps but don’t think it’s totally necessary. People will have a blast on the new version regardless of knowing the back story!

olegc
09-20-2017, 10:39 AM
We rode MAD on Monday and loved it! I think this version is better than the Before Dark version! From the sights, sounds, costume overlay, and “ghosts” this version is amped up! I felt that the ride was so much more intense also. Maybe the heavy metal music played a part, but it seems that the amount of ups and downs were more in number.

As far as knowing what happens in Guardians and the before dark version I think it helps but don’t think it’s totally necessary. People will have a blast on the new version regardless of knowing the back story!

Last night at the #GalacticMeetUp for Parks Blog the imagineers mentioned that they intentionally set up the ride to be constantly moving for MAD while still tied to the music. So your experience of more motion is accurate.

To me - the story set up for MAD is not as strong as a standalone so that's why I made that comment. It may be fun in and of itself but there's something missing for me.

cstephens
09-25-2017, 10:34 PM
I think the enjoyment of the ride stems partly from the motion and images and music itself, regardless of whether or not you know what the story is. Sure, it makes some sense if you know the regular ride, but I also know people who have gone on the regular ride and don't know anything about the Guardians movies and still enjoyed the ride.

I do like the Halloween overlay because of the new images, but I do prefer the regular version because there is more variety in songs and scenes and characters.

The entire queue of the Halloween overlay is decidedly creepier, though.

bumblebeeonarose
10-05-2017, 12:41 PM
It is definitely assumed that riders have ridden the regular version. Rocket asks what guests are still doing there. However, I don't think whether someone rode the original version or not will impact their enjoyment of the ride. It's obvious the "theme/idea" of the ride is that the gang has broken out and now Rocket must go back and rescue Groot. The story is pretty simplified. The CM loading the attraction was funny.

cstephens
10-15-2017, 09:28 AM
I remember having read a blurb about it but had forgotten until we went on the ride last night, and in the video in the queue, I actually saw ghost Yondu! That was cool.

cstephens
10-15-2017, 09:51 AM
We stood outside to watch and listen to the exterior of the building during the After Dark version. Pretty cool.

One video is here (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/919402487102230528) and second video is here (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/919403215325671424).