PDA

View Full Version : Save the Teacups

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

Cadaverous Pallor
02-26-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
After almost 50 years of operation, why do they have to do anything? I second this motion. It's been safe enough to run for this long, and it's obviously safe enough to keep running this way. The guy was hurt, but not seriously, and it was a freak accident.

BTW, anyone wondering why Al's sources were completely wrong this time?

sediment
02-26-2004, 10:29 AM
If there's an issue of spinning them too quickly, causing natural physics to overcome the participants, then put a governator on the spin speed. not the acceleration.
Yes, I'm sure some people will be upset at that. too bad. Can't argue with physics.

Pirate Girl
02-26-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
After almost 50 years of operation, why do they have to do anything?

Because a large percentage of this generation of parents are to stupid and/or stubborn to watch out for their own equally stupid/stubbor children. They just start up a law suit if one of their litte ones should get a bruise because they weren't watching them try and climb over the railing, and into the rivers of America.

HBTiggerFan
02-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by sediment
then put a governator on the spin speed.

You know, I think Ah-nold is a little busy to be controlling the tea cups. ;)

Andrew
02-26-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
You know, I think Ah-nold is a little busy to be controlling the tea cups. ;) Yeah, but with those muscles he ought to be able to get them up to speed with no problem.

sediment
02-26-2004, 11:49 AM
Wasn't the word officially changed in the State of California? Better check your in box.

Demigod121
02-26-2004, 12:07 PM
When I called the Governator's office to inquire about him controlling the teacups, his public relations guy would only say that Ahnold rode on the teacups a long time ago and he was a different person then.

He denies any allegation that Ahnold changed the speed of the teacups, and that Ahnold just doesn't do things like that anymore.

:D

-Demigod

Cadaverous Pallor
02-26-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by sediment
If there's an issue of spinning them too quickly, causing natural physics to overcome the participants, then put a governator on the spin speed. not the acceleration.
Yes, I'm sure some people will be upset at that. too bad. Can't argue with physics. ??? There is NO issue with spinning them to quickly. The ride has been fine for nearly 50 years. There is no reason to put a leash on spin speed.

Pirate Girl's point seems to be an answer, except for the fact that if you spin the cup extremely fast, most people, children included, are simply stuck to the cup and can't move at all. If a child tries to stand up or exit the teacup it would take a lot of strength on his part and the parents should see it happening (teacups are round, after all). I don't even know of an incident of a child ever flying out of the teacups.

QueenofHearts
02-26-2004, 02:12 PM
I just had to contribute... after spending 6 days at DL last week, I think we rode the teacups 3-4 times a day. My little one (3) decided she was terrified of all the dark rides so that left us with only a handful of options for her, one of which was teacups. Also since teacups were closed last time we went, my girls were super excited to go on them. Well, we practically injured ourselved trying to turn that wheel! Eventually everyone it seems just gives up and sits back and waits for it to be over. The worst was when I just said "I give up" and now my 5 year old is saying that all the time! UGH. Thanks Disneyland.

On the way into the park one day I was given a survey to fill out and return. I added a letter praising one particular CM in the Once Upon a Time store, and begged for loser teacups:

"I also really wanted to let you know how sad we were that the teacups have been tightened up. The ride was just not enjoyable at all, and, moreover, it was extremely frustrating. I even introduced a new phrase in my five year old’s vocabulary “I give up”. Not a pleasant thing to teach a little girl. Please loosen them up and return the fun to the ride!"

I will be hoping with all of you... that our voices will be heard.

Cadaverous Pallor
02-26-2004, 03:07 PM
QueenofHearts, this is exactly what we're talking about. Thanks for the story (albeit a sad one!) and thanks for mentioning it to a CM. :)

BTW, I talked to the LA Times and the reporter said she talked to City Hall. She said they claimed they only had six complaints about the teacups! They said that includes phone calls. I'm sure the number is far higher than that....in any case we need to make sure that they get the message. If you have been to the park recently and forgot to stop at City Hall, you can call them. I don't know if the Recorded Resort Information line will get you through to a live body, as I have yet to try it, but here it is: (714)781-4565.

Here's a link (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/common/contactUs) to Disneyland's email comments page. Make sure to pick "Comments on your Disneyland Resort Visit".

Or you can write them:
Disneyland® Resort
P.O. Box 3232
1313 S. Harbor Blvd.
Anaheim, CA 92803-3232

tod
02-26-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
BTW, I talked to the LA Times and the reporter said she talked to City Hall. She said they claimed they only had six complaints about the teacups!

Now it's seven.:D

--T

Kevy Baby
02-26-2004, 03:31 PM
BTW, I talked to the LA Times and the reporter said she talked to City Hall. She said they claimed they only had six complaints about the teacups! There were more than six people that Friday night meet a few weeks back.

How many regular readers of this thread have complained (already)? That ALONE is more than six. Disney is lying!

Cadaverous Pallor
02-26-2004, 03:36 PM
I made Al's MiceAge column (http://miceage.com/allutz/al022604a.htm). He just resposted my email, which is what I posted here. Here's the interesting part:
Yes, there is a LOT more to this story that has just begun to pop up in the last few days.

In the next update I'll detail what else I have heard - and what was really behind the explanation that we had posted. It's a fascinating story, to be told once I lock down a few more confirmations of course. ;)Hmm. Oh, and please don't call me an evil minion - I admit that I usually only read Al when someone links to it. :D

innerSpaceman
02-26-2004, 04:06 PM
So can anyone (read C.P.) contact the L.A. Times to inform that that their party alone (read C.P.'s) left more than 6 complaints?

Cadaverous Pallor
02-26-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
So can anyone (read C.P.) contact the L.A. Times to inform that that their party alone (read C.P.'s) left more than 6 complaints? I said as much.

innerSpaceman
02-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Yes, there is a LOT more to this story that has just begun to pop up in the last few days. In the next update I'll detail what else I have heard - and what was really behind the explanation that we had posted. It's a fascinating story, to be told once I lock down a few more confirmations of course.
And that, my friends, is what's known as classic backpedaling.

Maybe we can have a race between the backpedaling speed of certain columnists and the teacup spinning speed of certain mousepadders.

sambo
02-27-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by tod
Now it's seven.:D

--T

Make that 8 - thanks to the email link... ;)

Cadaverous Pallor
02-27-2004, 07:46 AM
Really quickly - I got the documentation in the mail already. It bears no surprises. It does, however, include a lot of personal information about the guy that had the accident, which I don't feel comfortable publicizing. I'm going to scan things and blur out his info, but I probably won't get to it for a few days.

It revealed to me only two things - the only recommendation the state made was that they check over their systems, and that the state charged Disney $2,000 for the inspection.

Moonliner
02-27-2004, 10:42 AM
Really quickly - I got the documentation in the mail already.

OK, that's it!! I'm officially forming the "Cadaverous Pallor" fan club! Go CP, Go CP, GO GO GO, CP.

Tigertail777
02-27-2004, 02:50 PM
OK CP... since the state thing was the wrong place to send... where do we send letters now? Is there a adress for city hall? Or would there be somewhere better than that even to send a letter?

And this documentation... is it what the state guy sent you? I am confused exactly what yer talking about with that?

Dominguez Grove
02-27-2004, 10:26 PM
No, I'm not going to be the savior of the teacups...

Oh...really???!... Heh...heh....
:D :D
All Kidding asside, CP. WELL DONE!!! Thank you. And, Please, keep on.

Maybe you've got a little activist in you after all?;)

Cadaverous Pallor
02-28-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Dominguez Grove
Maybe you've got a little activist in you after all?;) Heh...actually, most of my activist tendencies have to do with the tyranny of government intervention, which is why I was very interested to see what they had to say. The fact that I accused them of something that was entirely untrue makes me a bit embarrassed.

Tigertail - yeah, it's the gov't info that I received.

In any case, I didn't save the teacups yet - all I did was prove that it's Disney's fault, and not the gov't's.

My trust in Al's column has been greatly diminished.

Not Afraid
02-28-2004, 02:11 PM
No article today?

Moonliner
02-29-2004, 07:48 AM
Congrats to everyone mentioned (several names from this thread) in the Tea Cups article PUBLISHED in the LA TIMES!!!

Here's the link (free registration required...)

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-teacups29feb29,1,1310768.story

Viva La Spin!!

Now lets hope the AP picks up on this important sorty.

Ps. If your out there Kimi, Good story! Thanks!

Kevy Baby
02-29-2004, 01:43 PM
I want autographs now!

Congrats to Cadaverous Pallor, Sea Monkey, and Zappop. Bask in the glory tha is you! ":)"