PDA

View Full Version : Save the Teacups

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

Kevy Baby
02-04-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Tigertail777
I said LESS... I didnt say it would completely eliminate law suits... to beleive THAT would be ludicrous. But if it cut down even 2% of law suits that would be reason it would pay for itself (among many others) to keep the park sparkling clean and in great condition.As I said in my previous post, we agree almost all the way (Disneyland is way too filthy). We could split hairs over the "fiscal impact" (I believe that your 2% figure is too high: a cleaner park would have a negligable effect on # of lawsuits filed IMHO). However, yes; Disney needs to clean up their act in so many ways (how do these puns keep popping up?).

But I also contend that in addition to Disney's decline, I believe that society in general is declining (uh oh, topic drift approaching extreme levels: danger Will Robinson). The public at large is at least equally culpable. When did we as a public get so uncouth as to think it is okay to leave dirty diapers laying around?

So maybe its:[list=1] People are littering more and worse AND
Disney is doing a poorer job of cleaning
[/list=1]
Only a few people spoke up at all... I found it mind blowing and still do.So, did YOU speak up? I think the reason that a lot of people don't is that they are (rightfully) afraid of the consequences. Not from Disney, but from those they accuse. And sometimes it gets ugly and/or physical.
(again sorry about the peter poop story... <snip> However I understand how people can find it offensive to talk about, so I will shut up about it now.)No need to apologize, and I think it was good to bring it up. And yeah, its gross.

dude
02-04-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by G-Hawk
As a local cynic:

I was talking to my close friend, the Chemistry teacher, she was teaching her students about the levels in atoms or whatever, these levels are S, P, D, and F in that order. In order to memorize these levels her students came up with a little saying.

Stupid People Die First

My chemistry teacher taught us that...maybe we're talking about the same one! Your location says La Palma...this teacher wouldn't be teaching at Kennedy High by any chance?

Demigod121
02-04-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by G-Hawk

Stupid People Die First

Well, if you want justification for that sentiment (and I wholeheartedly agree with it!), just check out the Darwin Awards! (http://www.darwinawards.com/)

Heh, Heh! :~D :D :fez:

-Demigod
(Never underestimate the stupidity of the Human race!)

Tigertail777
02-04-2004, 03:31 PM
Very last thing on the poop incident I promise...

So, did YOU speak up? I think the reason that a lot of people don't is that they are (rightfully) afraid of the consequences. Not from Disney, but from those they accuse. And sometimes it gets ugly and/or physical.

Yes I did as much as I could... we were bottlenecked away from the incident mostly, but what I could see of the mother through the milling crowd, I did try to tell her this was not something you do at Disneyland (I could have said anywhere... but Disneyland was on the mind at the time). I found out we were also one of the few to tell the ride operator where exactly the incident occured in the que... others were just shouting angry words at her for not cleaning it up "where ever it is". I felt very sorry for her she kept apologizing over and over that she couldnt clean it... that someone else had to, and they were delayed because of the parade. Truth be told I think she was close to tears... she felt pretty helpless. I told her: You should have a better day after this... after all there isnt much worse that could go wrong... she laughed a bit.

I do hope someone reads the "cute story" I posted too, and not just the poop one LOL.

Kevyb... I think you have some good points too, I understand I am probably over-simplifying in some areas. I do think a clean up/fix up regimentation over the entire park would do wonders in all areas, and I am hoping thats what Quimet and Rasulo have in mind. At least its a step in the right direction after all...:D

Wizard69
02-04-2004, 11:13 PM
Ok how did we get from discussing teacups to discussing POOP????????

sambo
02-04-2004, 11:33 PM
/\ Disney Magic...

Tigertail777
02-04-2004, 11:37 PM
ahem... that was MY bad.. sorry... go back and read the "cute teacup story" at the end of one of the posts, ummm hopefully that will make up for the feces fest.

Again sorry about that. I get a little crazy when it comes to Disneyland sometimes.

Wish I could think of another teacup story... but I can't... ummm maybe someone else has one?

Oh and Al (miceage.com) says he will reveal the real reason the teacups arent really spinning, on his next update.... so here's hoping its temporary.

Melaniee
02-06-2004, 09:20 AM
Well, we rode them yesterday and we could definitely get them to spin, but it was really slow, almost not worth the effort. Maybe they are really loosening up? Seems like a lame excuse though.

cutiepie
02-06-2004, 10:56 AM
that is a childhood memory of mine as a little girl-i sure hope they don't change things!

Kevy Baby
02-06-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by cutiepie
that is a childhood memory of mine as a little girl-i sure hope they don't change things! Thats the problem. It appears that they already have.

cstephens
02-19-2004, 10:39 AM
FYI, the MiceAge update today (http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al021904b.htm) has information about why the teacups are the way they are now. The info is towards the bottom of the page.

Tigertail777
02-19-2004, 11:16 AM
BAH! well I guess its the state of california's new inane safety rules that screwed up the tea cups.

Magic Mountain coasters occassionally have ride injurys that are minor, and they dont mess up the entire intent of the ride... yet a simple spinning ride gets "toned down" because of a minor injury, that is not very likely to happen to 95% of guests... MADNESS!

Well in my book then, the ride is now dead. R.I.P teacups thanks for those dizzy:D memories... I will miss you.:crying:

Kevy Baby
02-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Even as a non Teacup rider, this depresses the bejeebies out of me.

We are being reduced to the lowest common denominator and it is driving me nuts. Whatever happened to the basic principle of "personal responsibility"?!?

innerSpaceman
02-19-2004, 11:29 AM
According to Al's 2/19/04 miceage update, the line they were handing out at City Hall about the Teacups loosening back up over time was just that ... a line.

I suggest everyone go to City Hall to register a complaint every time you are in the park. Read the Feb. 19 Al update (http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al021904a.htm) so that you have the facts in hand to rebut the lie they have been told to tell you. Add to your complaint that you don't appreciate being baldfaced lied to under instructions from higher ups, and demand to put both complaints in writing.

Reportedly, City Hall is getting a lot of complaints about the Teacups. Don't let up. Change will only result from an avalanche of constant complaints.

BTW, I never ride the teacups. They make me ill. But this boils my blood like nothing since the Big Thunder fatality.

Moonliner
02-19-2004, 11:30 AM
Now wait a second, when it was perceived that Disney was the cause of the "slow down" everyone was up in arms about it. Now that it turns out it's some bureaucratic chowder-head the prevailing attitude seems to be that it's all over. If we can fight Disney city-hall then we can sure as hell fight the city, county and or state.

I think the current Governor has enough of an entertainment background to understand what's going on here as well as the distain for bureaucratic non-sense.

It's petition time!

It's not over till we say it's over!

Tigertail777
02-19-2004, 11:46 AM
I agree with you Moonliner, but the problem is, Disneyland city hall will pay attention to out of state people... but really will the city/state etc?

And unless its a real physical petition, the online ones from what I hear do very little real good.

So what is an Oregonian to do? Write a letter directly to Arnold? If so, then HOW? And will it really reach him?

I am all for doing something about it, but point me the way to do something real about it.

Moonliner
02-19-2004, 11:52 AM
Here is a copy of the comments I sent to CNN news about this. Feel free to send similar comments to any newpaper, TV station, News web site, etc... that you frequent.

Story Submission.

Disneyland Teacups - The no-spin zone.

After operating essentially unchanged since the opening of Disneyland in 1955 the famous Teacup ride at Disneyland was recently changed to virtually eliminate spinning. Apparently this is due to government interactions after a single non-life threatening injury on the ride that as I mentioned has been in operation since 1955.

Here are some links to Disney Fan web sites where this issue is being discussed:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24538

and

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al021904b.htm (teacups discussed down toward the end)

Kevy Baby
02-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Moonliner
Disneyland Teacups - The no-spin zone. You should have included the correct name of the attraction: Mad Tea Party (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/detail/attraction?id=MadTeaPartyAttractionPage)

sediment
02-19-2004, 01:37 PM
And now, the disney web site (the one you linked) is somewhat inaccurate:

This wonderfully wacky tea party is right out of The Mad Hatter and the March Hare's Unbirthday party sequence of the film, Alice in Wonderland. This colorful, musical party ride is interactive and can spin wildly or remain gentle.
You control how fast your teacup spins.
You can spin in either direction.
Best to eat after you spin.

Moonliner
02-19-2004, 02:24 PM
Disneyland city hall will pay attention to out of state people... but really will the city/state etc?

Two words: Tourist Dollars.

Yes I do think the state of California cares about our opinions (I'm from outside of CA also). After all we form a fairly high percentage of the total visitors to California's attractions.

Morrigoon
02-19-2004, 02:39 PM
Bureaucracy ranges from difficult to downright unmovable. Bye bye teacups.

Dominguez Grove
02-19-2004, 02:41 PM
Here's an idea...

This thread seemed to begin with a kind of "call to action". The idea of "Spin-In" was suggested. Then came a call for everyone to go to City Hall and file a complaint.

Later on, Lutz "enlightens" us and we all learn the real story.

Moonliner touches on something:

Originally posted by Moonliner
Now wait a second, when it was perceived that Disney was the cause of the "slow down" everyone was up in arms about it. Now that it turns out it's some bureaucratic chowder-head the prevailing attitude seems to be that it's all over. If we can fight Disney city-hall then we can sure as hell fight the city, county and or state.

Expanding from there. Here's a different perspective and call. Perhaps APs (and any one going to DL) should go ahead an take trip to City Hall, but instead of complaining about the Tea Cups, maybe a more diplomatic, proactive path could be taken. Why not tell City Hall something like, "Hey, I know the Tea Cups don't spin, and I know it's because they have been regulated by our State. Who do I talk to in Government? Who's the state legislator I need to contact? Who's the admin of the DOSH (or whatever agency responsible) that I need to contact?"

Given this approach, you might find yourself in a (rare) situation where you and Disneyland Management are on the same side. In fact, it brought some positive press to Disneyland, they might even be willing to work with on this issue.

I don't know if there are any activists on this thread. But, if this a cause someone wants to run with, you've got a clear path. If you're serious enough and organized enough and can enlist a significant number of participants, Disney might even lend you a little support (especially if you are serious, and could muster some positive press coverage on it).

In short, you would be mounting a politcal campaign.

For the record, I don't live in California, so I'm not going to the champion of this cause, but I thought the idea was worthy of a post.

Moonliner
02-19-2004, 02:51 PM
I have received an response from a journalist at the LA Times in response to this issue. She would like to talk with a fan that has been on the ride since the change. If you would be willing to have her call you, PLEASE private message me your name/number.

Thanks.

cemeinke
02-19-2004, 02:51 PM
Might as well pull out the cups and put in some pomegranet trees.:mad:

tod
02-19-2004, 03:46 PM
A month or so ago, one of The Little tods and I took a friend onto the Mad Tea Party. I hadn't been on the teacups in something like 10 years, but it was near park closing time and we saw no line and we seized the chance.

I took the opportunity to introduce them to my own particular way of riding the teacups -- spin it as fast as you can one way, then stop the rotation, and once the disc in the center of the teacup is stationary, start spinning the other way.

Very effective in introducing your inner ear to new experiences.

It looks like we can't do that any more. Pity.

--T