PDA

View Full Version : Save the Teacups

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

MattK
01-29-2004, 11:48 AM
DOSH might demand a height requirement anyways if they decided to put mandatory restraints in the ride.

Matt

Matterhorn Fan
01-29-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by leaf
b) Seatbelts (this would really slow down loading/unloading, maybe reduce ride capacity to 3 per cup) Teacup capacity is already 3 adults per cup. It's not a written rule, but I've witnessed 4 MPers trying to get into one cup, and well . . . it would have made a great cartoon. You'd have to be pretty small adults to get more than 3 into a teacup.

Not Afraid
01-29-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
Teacup capacity is already 3 adults per cup. It's not a written rule, but I've witnessed 4 MPers trying to get into one cup, and well . . . it would have made a great cartoon. You'd have to be pretty small adults to get more than 3 into a teacup.

WOW! When did you see THAT? Wish I was there!:D

Morrigoon
01-29-2004, 02:46 PM
knee-wise, we can barely fit two in as it is

cemeinke
01-29-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
You'd have to be pretty small adults to get more than 3 into a teacup.

We're working on it (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?threadid=23932)

SacTown Chronic
01-29-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
We're working on it (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?threadid=23932)
:~D

Matterhorn Fan
01-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
We're working on it (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?threadid=23932) Then you'll have to work on the "uh oh, I've stepped on someone's foot, and I'm afraid to move it because I'll just step on another foot" problem.

BELLEH5
01-30-2004, 01:34 PM
Last Summer we fit 3 adults and my self into one cup. It was tight and fun, cuz we were going super fast :crying:

Morrigoon
01-31-2004, 03:10 AM
Tonight we rode. It sucked. We went to City Hall.

Nothing was ever written down, but it was explained to us that it has to do with the recent refurbishment and that supposedly it always comes back tight and that it will take a while to loosen up (but come ON, they're now worse than Roger Rabbit, don't tell me THAT's just rehab retightening!). Ostensibly, it should be back to its normal self in couple months.... ostensibly. We'll see if the GR CMs were right or just giving us a snow job to prevent another official complaint.

MonorailMan
01-31-2004, 06:32 AM
Recent refurb? What refurb? I don't recall seeing a refurb!

Anyhow, why, just like all the speils, do I feel it's too late.... :|

cemeinke
01-31-2004, 09:01 AM
The Teacups have certainly been emasculated. My arms are still sore from my vain attempt to get the things spinning at a decent rate. Yup City Hall claims they will "loosen up" over time but they also mentioned that before the rehab they were "too loose." so I'm not sure I buy their explanation. I will keep trying, but if I don't see any improvement, I'll be back at City Hall.

I guess if anyone wants to have a good spin you'll have to head to Knott's and hop on the sombreros.
:mad:

Not Afraid
01-31-2004, 09:37 AM
Now, a good spin is NOT better than Botox!:crying: :crying: :crying:

Kevy Baby
01-31-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Tonight we rode. It sucked. We went to City Hall. (And I can't wait to see those pictures!)
And what the dickens were you doing up at 4:10 a.m.?!?

Cadaverous Pallor
01-31-2004, 02:25 PM
All I know is, if they are just as bad in a couple of months, City Hall is going to be hit by me every time I show up. Last night was just SAD.

LSPoorEeyorick
01-31-2004, 05:42 PM
It's important to let them know we're upset. From spinless teacups to the spineless at Guest Services.

But I sometimes feel like they've just got our backs against the wall. Or hands ... or...

;)

Tigertail777
02-01-2004, 03:24 AM
sounds like a great flyer handout: spinless teacups from spineless executives! ... Spinless is Spineless.... Disney can spin tall tales, but not rides....around and around the excuses go because the rides can't....Disney made the teacups take a TURN for the worse.... Alice is dizzy from Disney's excuses...Walt is turning in his grave because the teacups can't...

LOL you get the idea... like the flyer handouts people did for the "toad ins" on the toad ride in Florida. I sure wish I lived closer I would bring flyers to do this. I mean come on, this has to be one of the simplest, and oldest rides in the park its been there all these years and suddenly its considered dangerous??? This is waaaaaay beyond the point of ridiculousness. It actually sounds like it would be a parody...something not real. I am still having a hard time beleiving that the people in charge are THIS clueless, and above all completely spineless. What next? they wrap each guest in bubble wrap before they enter the park?.... parody.... OR IS IT?:rolleyes:

Moonliner
02-01-2004, 04:37 AM
Well I think it's obvious...

Mandatory IQ tests for all guests prior to entry. Then based on your IQ you are limited to which attractions you can visit. Similar to a height restriction.

Only way to be fair to eveyone...

CoasterMatt
02-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Steve0
Mandatory IQ tests for all guests prior to entry.

Sometimes I feel they need to do that in front of the ticket booths at Universal, especially after being asked "What's the difference between a day and a year?" so many times. Then I realize, the park would go bankrupt in a day... :~D

Moonliner
02-01-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by CoasterMatt
"What's the difference between a day and a year?"

Apparently nothing. :D

https://tickets.universalstudios.com/USRG/us_store_secure2.jsp?merchant=UH

spaced mountain guy
02-01-2004, 09:30 PM
I renewed my son's AP today, well ok took 4 months but its renewed:p First attraction he want's to go on, The tea cups!! Normally it's a blast but I was on them for Friday night's single rider meet. I knew what was in store for me. Yep you guessed it, sore arms!! We err I managed to get it spinning at a somewhat anemic pace but as soon as you quit spinning, they quickly came to a halt. I should have went back to City hall or to the First Aid station for some muscle relaxers since I just strained it trying to get the teacups to spin.:fez: Even my son complained and that's hard to do.

Melaniee
02-02-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Steve0
Well I think it's obvious...

Mandatory IQ tests for all guests prior to entry.

How about prior to procreation! ;)

Kevy Baby
02-02-2004, 03:29 PM
Am I the only one who calls the Teacups (or just about any spinny ride for that matter) the "Whirl and Hurl"?

Tigertail777
02-02-2004, 03:52 PM
Hey thats what any good fast spinning ride is SUPPOSED to do... you could always pretend yer Roman: eat some delicious food beforehand, and instead of using a feather, ride the ride to taste the wonderful delacacies again! (just make sure you do it OFF the ride, into a garbage can:D )

Its called the MAD tea party for a reason!:D

In all seriousness though as dumb as some guests are, the guests are really not the problem.. look at how long this ride has been here, you cannot tell me this is the first time EVER someone got hurt on it someway. The real problem is weak spineless management that always lets their legal department say the last word, whether its good or bad. And if for some ludicrous reason IF it was determined that, they did have to make changes... for gods sake spend money to integrate the changes to have the least amount of impact on guests and their joy. Management has to remember people are paying good money to be entertained, they dont care about legalities, and they shouldnt have to worry about it: that is the parks/company's responsibility. Good show should always come first and foremost even at the expense of the company coffers, because eventually you will get that money back in the long run three fold. (Sigh) they don't have to re-invent the wheel (or teacup) here; Walt already paved the way for all of this if they would just pay attention and listen, he knew you often had to make out of pocket investments NOW to reap the rewards LATER.

Cadaverous Pallor
02-02-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Tigertail777
The real problem is weak spineless management that always lets their legal department say the last word, whether its good or bad. True, the lawyers are evil.....but more evil are the people that sue for no good reason, the lawyers that help them win these cases, and the judges who think that stupidity should be rewarded with a cash prize.

It's really their fault. Disney's lawyers are reacting to that crap.

Kevy Baby
02-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Tigertail777
Hey thats what any good fast spinning ride is SUPPOSED to do... you could always pretend yer Roman: eat some delicious food beforehand, and instead of using a feather, ride the ride to taste the wonderful delacacies again! (just make sure you do it OFF the ride, into a garbage can:D ) Eeewwwwwwww!!! :(

To clarify, I think that the new lack of spinability on the Whirl & Hurl is wrong - even though I won't be riding them any time soon. I would have gone in to City Hall with the rest of the Padders to complain on Friday night if there weren't already as many people in there as it was.

Also realize that Disney lawyers aren't the only ones to blame. Society is also culpable here, though its harder to point that finger (aside from being an unpopular view, its also not as visible). The people who successfully sue when they get injured when they are doing something stupid contribute to the Disney management actions. I don't know if the (parents of the) kid who fell out last month filed a lawsuit, but you know it is on Disney's mind.

How about the multi-million dollar settlement for the kid who was severly injured on Roger Rabbit a couple of years ago? It was proven that the kid was CLIMBING OUT OF THE CAR, yet Disney was liable since they "could have done more to prevent it". Don't get me wrong, I am not a heartless jerk (well some people might think I am, but I'm really not): I know that this child is suffering permanent severe brain damage. What happened to him/her is very sad. But now because of it 1. you and I are paying for it in terms of higher costs and 2. our experience is lessened (IMHO) because of the added safety enhancements.

Safety issues should not be ignored, I don't want to go that far (I don't think anybody wants to). But unfortunately, in todays society, they go farther than they need to because 1. people are stupid, and 2. we have become a highly litigious society.