PDA

View Full Version : New DtD Parking Policy - no more freebies

Pages : [1] 2

olegc
08-07-2017, 03:00 PM
Well, there goes my quick visit option (meal in the park). From a tweetby Disneyland AP.

Visiting Downtown Disney soon? Please be aware of a change to the parking validation policy beginning August 16: https://t.co/fmvTVIwzKD https://t.co/youVBhV9IJ

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Moedad
08-07-2017, 03:18 PM
That stinks. No more going just to listen to the performers or walk around on a summer night without paying for it one way or the other.

CMHusband
08-07-2017, 03:31 PM
You get 2 hours and if you eat at a restaurant with table service you get 2 more. 4 hours is a pretty long time. My Problem with it is that you should get validation for shopping too. But it was abused and now it's gone :(

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

olegc
08-07-2017, 04:04 PM
You get 2 hours and if you eat at a restaurant with table service you get 2 more. 4 hours is a pretty long time. My Problem with it is that you should get validation for shopping too. But it was abused and now it's gone :(

Sent from my Pixel XL using TapatalkThe new policy is for shopping. U get 2 hours free if u purchase up to $20 from any DtD location (includes kiosk and quick serve locations). Still - that's a lot of pretzels!

CMHusband
08-07-2017, 04:11 PM
Oh, then that is different. One night I spent about $250 bucks in WOD and then payed $12 for parking.

olegc
08-07-2017, 04:21 PM
We don't want anyone loitering and no punk kids hanging out.
-___-.

Of course now M&F may be more full. For me - I used to hop over quickly since I live nearby to try new food or pick up new merch. Well - M&F will now be the spot.

olegc
08-07-2017, 05:21 PM
Fyi - according to @DisneylandAP this must be a single transaction of $20 or more in one location

currence
08-07-2017, 05:53 PM
I wonder how many people will decide to buy AMC tickets with no intention to seeing a movie in order to get the 4 "free" hours. It's only $15ish (less for the early shows) vs. $20 for Mickey & Friends. Obviously that's only a better deal than parking if you are staying for 4 hours or less, but it's cheaper than the merchandise for 2 hours, especially if you weren't already planning on buying something expensive.

goalieump413
08-07-2017, 05:53 PM
This new policy isn't meant to make money on the parking. It's meant to make money through turnover. People come to DTD, spend a good part of the day, and take that parking spot the whole time. Now, at least the bet is, people will stay a shorter time, making room for others, who also have cash. Nothing really all that different than blockout days for SoCal residents to hold down crowds.

CMHusband
08-07-2017, 05:59 PM
Fyi - according to @DisneylandAP this must be a single transaction of $20 or more in one location

Sent from my XT1254 using TapatalkI just pulled into DTD parking lot now. First two hours are free. Then $6 per half hour extra after that. Or with Validation 2 more free hours.

currence
08-07-2017, 06:32 PM
I just pulled into DTD parking lot now. First two hours are free. Then $6 per half hour extra after that. Or with Validation 2 more free hours.

It says that the new policy begins 8/16

CMHusband
08-07-2017, 06:37 PM
Oh yeah...dang

olegc
08-07-2017, 06:43 PM
I just pulled into DTD parking lot now. First two hours are free. Then $6 per half hour extra after that. Or with Validation 2 more free hours.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TapatalkAs the announcement from Disney says - this policy will begin Aug 16.

olegc
08-07-2017, 06:44 PM
I wonder how many people will decide to buy AMC tickets with no intention to seeing a movie in order to get the 4 "free" hours. It's only $15ish (less for the early shows) vs. $20 for Mickey & Friends. Obviously that's only a better deal than parking if you are staying for 4 hours or less, but it's cheaper than the merchandise for 2 hours, especially if you weren't already planning on buying something expensive.U get your validation inside the theater.

fishgal
08-08-2017, 06:58 AM
U get your validation inside the theater.

The announcement on the movie and sit down dining validation seemed a little vague compared to the rest, it said you could receave UP TO 4 hours free with validation, leaves me wondering if you only get 2 hours for the movie ticket and have to spend the additional $20 somewhere to get the other 2 hours....

Also hotel restraunts will not apply to getting validation. :(

This is going to make it really tuff for those who are coming to the expo to look around and pick up bibs but don't have ap's. Since you can't get validation for race stuff purchased.

I wonder if this is part of them getting people ready to loose the lot all together?

olegc
08-08-2017, 09:08 AM
i was thinking about this alignment on costs. So it costs $20 for mickey and friends all day, and you have to spend $20 to get 2 hours free in DtD. It makes me wonder if their goal is to get you to use M&F more. I guess if you go for 90 minutes or less you come out ahead if you just pay the hourly rate.

AnotherJenny
08-08-2017, 12:27 PM
This new policy isn't meant to make money on the parking. It's meant to make money through turnover. People come to DTD, spend a good part of the day, and take that parking spot the whole time. Now, at least the bet is, people will stay a shorter time, making room for others, who also have cash. Nothing really all that different than blockout days for SoCal residents to hold down crowds.

See above. Parking in the DTD to have a quick meal in the parks brings zero business to DTD. It seems like they have a problem with spaces being available for DTD businesses at all.

candles71
08-08-2017, 01:07 PM
U get your validation inside the theater.

If I remember right, you get it from the ticket taker.

olegc
08-08-2017, 01:10 PM
If I remember right, you get it from the ticket taker.When I have gone to see movies at AMC (not often but I've been there) there is a station in the right corner as you enter the lobby. There someone can validate for you. Has this changed?

candles71
08-08-2017, 01:12 PM
The one time we went it was mid afternoon and they were not busy, perhaps they had the ticket taker giving it out to save staff?

tea4two
08-08-2017, 07:31 PM
The announcement on the movie and sit down dining validation seemed a little vague compared to the rest, it said you could receave UP TO 4 hours free with validation, leaves me wondering if you only get 2 hours for the movie ticket and have to spend the additional $20 somewhere to get the other 2 hours....

Also hotel restraunts will not apply to getting validation. :( ...

I think the "up to..." refers to whether you will need the full 4 hours, not to whether you will receive the full validation time. We have always received the full 4 hours validation for movies and sit down meals whether we needed it all or not. Hotel restaurants validate for their own lots, so guests don't need to park in DTD. (Although, we have received validation in the past from NR for the Lilo lot. The parking booth CM asked us specifically for our NR receipt to use as validation.)

If I remember right, you get it from the ticket taker.

When I have gone to see movies at AMC (not often but I've been there) there is a station in the right corner as you enter the lobby. There someone can validate for you. Has this changed?...

Whenever we see movies in DTD, last time was a few months ago, the parking validation is inside by the ticket taker CM. Long ago, CMs were much more relaxed about letting you validate your ticket yourself. Not anymore. They make sure to take your ticket and do it for you to prevent abuse.

dehnehsu
08-09-2017, 05:07 AM
I shop Downtown Disney every visit to Anaheim. I don't go into the park, but like to check out the stores. Look's like I'll be forced into buying $20 worth of LEGO next visit.

Free Parking... Do Disney Stores still take Disneyland Merchandise returns? If so I'd just buy something easily returnable for $20 or more, Get validated and return it to a Disney Store near where I live. Or a LEGO item and do the same. I'd prefer to do it to Disney since they are the cheapo's with this crappy new policy.

candles71
08-09-2017, 06:54 AM
The post on FB by DL said 2 hours validation for shopping or quick service type food locations with a $20 purchase. It said you got 4 hours with either a sit down meal or the movie theater. Hope that helps whomever is confused. :)

Shortpix77
08-09-2017, 10:14 AM
I shop Downtown Disney every visit to Anaheim. I don't go into the park, but like to check out the stores. Look's like I'll be forced into buying $20 worth of LEGO next visit.

Free Parking... Do Disney Stores still take Disneyland Merchandise returns? If so I'd just buy something easily returnable for $20 or more, Get validated and return it to a Disney Store near where I live. Or a LEGO item and do the same. I'd prefer to do it to Disney since they are the cheapo's with this crappy new policy.

I had this thought as well. Or couldn't you just buy a $20 Disney gift card? Or a gift card to any place in there you'd eventually use the money? Just a thought...

olegc
08-09-2017, 10:48 AM
I had this thought as well. Or couldn't you just buy a $20 Disney gift card? Or a gift card to any place in there you'd eventually use the money? Just a thought...Gift card +1