PDA

View Full Version : Beach From DL?

mrcoffee
10-04-2001, 09:42 PM
We're going to be going to DL later this month for the weekend, and wanted to head to the beach to actually see the ocean and walk around for a little bit.. (We're from AZ, so water is spiffy!)

My question is: What the easiest way to get to a nice beach from DL (We're staying at Candy Cane, and I know my way around Anaheim decently.)

Someplace that's not too far from DL, and has vendors, people, plenty of parking, etc. etc.

Thanks!

Thomas

Nigel2
10-04-2001, 09:51 PM
Hmmmm, Laguna is nice, kinda far, Balboa Island is another choice. Huntington is ok, but it can do.

Hades
10-04-2001, 10:31 PM
Aloha Mr. Coffee!

If you are staying at the Candy Cane Inn, the closest and easiest beach to get to is Newport Beach. All you have to do is take Harbor Blvd. (the street just out front of the Inn) and make a right turn. You will take Harbor Blvd. all the way south till you hit Newport Blvd. and make a right. Newport Blvd. will take you to the beaches. That should take you no more than 30 minutes to drive (all surface streets)

If you want to take the freeway from the Candy Cane Inn, make a right on Harbor and then a left on Katella (the first intersection you come to on Harbor from your inn). Take Katella to the 5 freeway southbound onramp. Take the 5 freeway to the 55 freeway south (to Costa Mesa, Newport Beach). Stay on the 55 freeway till it ends and becomes (TA DA!) Newport Blvd.! and take that straight to the beaches! Freeway traffic may or may not effect your travel time. Trip is about 15 to 20 minutes.

There are a lot of shops and restaurants in Newport Beach. You should have a good time there. I like going to the Balboa Pier and Fun Zone. It is also very cool to go to the end of Ocean street to the entrance of the harbor and watch the boats coming and going at the small park there. :cool:

While you are down in Newport Beach, keep your eyes open for Dennis Rodman! :D He lives somewhere near 34th street, from what I've heard! hehehe! (JK!)
:p

merlinjones
10-05-2001, 06:49 AM
Huntington Beach!

If you want to see a wide, beautiful beach with young bods, beach bunnies, surfers, surf bars, fish tacos (you MUST try them! - - Wahoos or Fred's), sunsets, excellent surf/surfwear shops (the best) and such stuff of Beach Party and Baywatch lore - - the most convenient (and user friendly) is Huntington Beach, home of various televised surf competitions. Just take Harbor Bl. South to the Garden Grove Freeway West, then get off at Beach Bl. and drive West until you hit the beach (about a 20 minute drive). The Downtown and Pier is to your right on Pacific Coast Highway. Lots to look at on a sunny weekend!!!

If you want artsy/upscale/gay try Laguna.

If you want laid back try Newport/Balboa.

But if you want to simulate the Annette & Frankie Beach Boys experience try Huntington.

Even better (way better) are the beaches in Southern Orange County and North San Diego County.

80S ERA
10-05-2001, 09:27 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't go to the *REAL* beach!! That will go against Eisner and Company's sole intention of building DCA!

Guests won't have to even leave the DLR if they want to see:

1. The Beach/Boardwalk = Paradise Pier
2. Winerys = Mondavi Resturant
3. Wilderness = Grizzly Peak
4. Hollywood = Hollywood Backlot
5. Palace of Fine Arts = Golden Dreams Theater
6. Catalina = Avalon Cove (what once was)

Just kidding, of course!! ;) All the suggestions mentioned above are great. There is so much to do in California!! GO SEE THE REAL THING!!

mrcoffee
10-05-2001, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions! We're probably going to head on down to Huntington Beach.

No stop at DCA this time. Actually, we've been to Anaheim 3 times since DCA opened, and we have't been to DCA yet. :)

Again, thanks!

Thomas

adriennek
10-05-2001, 12:44 PM
Don't go to Balboa Island -- the parking is horrible and there's no "beach" to speak of.

Adrienne K
I was an Anteater and I was Greek. I know Balboa Island.

Nigel2
10-05-2001, 01:01 PM
What do you mean by there is no beach there? Also parking isn't that bad since most people are back in school.

zapppop
10-05-2001, 03:43 PM
I live in Newport Beach and it's really great !

To get to Newport Beach from Disneyland, just go south on Harbor Blvd. until it ends at Newport Blvd.

Then take Newport Blvd south for about 3-5 minutes and there you are !

If you need a map, click on the link I've provided below.

FROM ANAHEIM TO NEWPORT BEACH (http://maps.yahoo.com/py/ddResults.py?Pyt=Typ&addr=1313+s+harbor+blvd&city=Anaheim&state=CA&zip=92802-2309&country=us&slt=33.813900&sln=-117.915500&cs=9&newcountry=us&taraddr=2406+Newport+Blvd&tarcity=Newport+Beach&tarstate=CA&tarzip=92663&newtcountry=us&tlt=33.6112&tln=-117.9289&tcs=9&tarname=Hooters&tardesc=(949)+723-5800)

http://members.aol.com/zapppop/madonna.gif

adriennek
10-05-2001, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
What do you mean by there is no beach there? Also parking isn't that bad since most people are back in school.

Isn't it mostly sidewalks? I don't remember a lot of "sand"-- I remember concrete and boats. Also, I wasn't ever on Balboa Island during the summer, I was there during the school year when the college students lived in the rentals. I remember my "philosophy" of going to the island: Turn down the first alley, find the first parking spot I could get my car parallel parked into, then walk to whatever house I had to get to. The streets are very narrow on the island- heck the majority of them are one way.

Don't get me wrong-- I think that Balboa Island is a really cute little place to visit. And there's always the ferry over to the boardwalk on the peninsula that's fun. But if this person wants a nice beach with plenty of parking, I think there are other, better choices.

Adrienne K

Nigel2
10-05-2001, 09:51 PM
Man you have never been there. If you go across the ferry (which I believe is now a historical landmark) there are parking lots on the beach. The boardwalk also has the first Ruby's (I think), and if you go to the fun zone area there is a disney related historical landmark. A plaque that states that this was the starting point for the red car. Think hard and you will know where it is from. Also if you don't want to pay as much for the ferry but still want to take it you can park in a lot on the other side and walk to the ferry, or even take a bridge over. But the ferry is still the best way to get over.