PDA

View Full Version : Can you explain why they would spend thousands of dollars on flat panel screens?

Disneyfreak
01-23-2004, 06:42 PM
Why did they ever conceive spending that much money when the park needs the money for other things? They must of spent well over 40,000 dollars on tv's alone on HISTA. Where would be a better place to spend this kind of cash on throughout the park? The only way I can see them getting this money is through the sponsor.

AVP
01-23-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
The only way I can see them getting this money is through the sponsor. Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding! If you look carefully at the flat panels in use at Mission: Space, you will notice that they have had their manufacturers labels removed, and replaced with the "Sponsored by HP" graphics. I imagine the same goes with HISTA, and the other uses at Disneyland - I know all of the ones in Innoventions were sponsor-provided.

AVP

millionairegirl
01-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Well since the Claim Jumpers near me has 4! plasma TVs , and they don't even charge to get in, I think Disney can afford it!

Where are these new TVs-in the queue?

MonorailMan
01-23-2004, 07:45 PM
I would have gone for Plamsas, then it would have really been Tommorrowland. ;) :D

Andrew
01-23-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
I would have gone for Plamsas, then it would have really been Tommorrowland. ;) :D Do you know if there is any truth to the stories I've heard about plasma screens losing their effectiveness after five years or so? They're certainly beautiful in the store, but I'd hate to spend so much and have it fade out in five years.

sambo
01-23-2004, 08:36 PM
It is true about the plasmas...The plasma's peter out over time. If you can afford a plasma, you can afford to replace it in five years.

The flat screens are much much cheaper to operate, and are lower in maintenance than CRT's. Those big picture tubes don't last long out on public display before the color drifts. Then the convergence goes, and then there are the color flares and...

Well - just look and any long-term public display with picture tubes, your local video store for example. After a while they all look way different than each other.

The LCD's problems are not as severe.

MrTomMorrow
01-23-2004, 11:59 PM
Any thoughts on the new lighting fixtures in the Honey I Shrunk the Audience queue?

MonorailMan
01-24-2004, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by MrTomMorrow
Any thoughts on the new lighting fixtures in the Honey I Shrunk the Audience queue?

At least they fit the theme, I like them.

However, I would have preferred the "wired" lighting, like what's over the Pizza Port outside dining area. :)

MonorailMan
01-24-2004, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by sambo
Well - just look and any long-term public display with picture tubes, your local video store for example. After a while they all look way different than each other.

See: Innoventions. Some of the screens (especially the Home zone), are looking really bad. Another great example was the Space Mountain screens. :)

ToursbabeC3po
01-25-2004, 08:52 PM
People always complain Disney looks so bad and when we try to make what we have look better they complain :-(

Morrigoon
01-25-2004, 10:12 PM
Andrew: according to a friend who sells electronics at Sears, the plasmas need their gas replaced after about 6 years - 1 year after the extended warranty runs out.

sediment
01-26-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
Why did they ever conceive spending that much money when the park needs the money for other things? They must of spent well over 40,000 dollars on tv's alone on HISTA. Where would be a better place to spend this kind of cash on throughout the park? The only way I can see them getting this money is through the sponsor.
1. Because it isn't a lot of money.
2. Because it was a cheap and easy replacement.
3. Because if the monitors needed replacement, it's better to have lighter fixtures hanging than it is to have heavier fixtures hanging.