PDA

View Full Version : Any news about Tomorrowland from D23?

nowen1
07-17-2017, 01:55 PM
I have seen a lot of great stuff coming for the DLR, but I have not seen anything about Tomorrowland. I have heard it is due for an extensive rehab/remodel once Star Wars land is complete, were there any hints that way from D23?

currence
07-17-2017, 02:14 PM
I have seen a lot of great stuff coming for the DLR, but I have not seen anything about Tomorrowland. I have heard it is due for an extensive rehab/remodel once Star Wars land is complete, were there any hints that way from D23?

They announced that Tomorrowland at WDW is getting the Tron coaster, but even if they demolish the Innoventions/Carousel of progress building I don't think that there is nearly enough space in CA to built that here. I haven't heard/read anything about Tommorowland at DL.

Given that they recently made major/minor changes to Adventureland to address crowd management in that corridor, one would hope that they would want to address the similar crowding issues in Tomorrowland before Star Wars land opens. But removing the support beams of a long-closed ride will take a lot more planning/money than the redesign in Adventureland so who knows.

Dave1313
07-17-2017, 02:51 PM
I wasn't there or anything, but I was following the DP Blog as they posted the updates right after they announced things at the Parks Panel at D23.

Here's a link to the top level summary (https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/live-updates-from-walt-disney-parks-and-resorts-at-d23-expo-2017/), to each of the stories.

I think the only DLR related stories (at least those they wrote a special post for - maybe there were some minor notes mentioned that may not be in the stories) were the official name for SW Land, the Pixar Pier thing over in DCA and the Marvel/Avengers tease for the future near Mission Breakout in DCA.

It seemed highly WDW-centric, most likely due to a lot of emphasis on getting many (if not all) of these updates done before the 50th anniversary of WDW in 4 + years.

goalieump413
07-17-2017, 09:20 PM
Very few DLR updates for sure. Also, I noticed that there didn't seem to be any updates to any of the future construction at DLR, like the bridge over Harbor Blvd.

olegc
07-17-2017, 09:31 PM
Nothing was announced for Disneyland's Tomorrowland. The land was never even mentioned. The MP live feed, during their review, speculated what would happen to Star Tours once Galaxy's Edge opens. Some say it will move, I say it will stay (taking earthlings to other galaxies) but who knows until they announce. What you see on the Parks blog is what was announced. That's it (and it was a lot). The rest is all speculation.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Dave1313
07-19-2017, 01:10 AM
Nothing was announced for Disneyland's Tomorrowland. The land was never even mentioned. The MP live feed, during their review, speculated what would happen to Star Tours once Galaxy's Edge opens. Some say it will move, I say it will stay (taking earthlings to other galaxies) but who knows until they announce. What you see on the Parks blog is what was announced. That's it (and it was a lot). The rest is all speculation.

While I can understand people thinking ST should no longer be a separate ride once SWL opens, I hope that ends up not being true (for either DL or WDW).

goalieump413
07-19-2017, 06:02 AM
Hmmm, if they could figure out a way to move guests from ST to SWL... and back again once they're SWL'd out... A ride system of some sort...

cstephens
07-19-2017, 07:34 AM
While I can understand people thinking ST should no longer be a separate ride once SWL opens, I hope that ends up not being true (for either DL or WDW).

Given the story of Galaxy's Edge, I don't think Star Tours belongs there.

Dave1313
07-19-2017, 07:58 AM
Given the story of Galaxy's Edge, I don't think Star Tours belongs there.

I don't think it belongs in Galaxy's Edge either, I just hope the opening of Galaxy's Edge on each coast doesn't equate to closing the Star Tours ride just because it is a Star Wars ride and not in the new Land.

I can see how my poor choice of words ("separate ride") caused me to be less than clear. I didn't mean to suggest it would make sense to move it or anything like that (and with everything else they have planned, even with 14 acres, I'm sure there would not be enough room to just casually "drop it in" to a space! ;))

I can understand DLR fans who are not into Star Wars wanting to see it leave Tomorrowland to open up space for something new to refresh Tomorrowland though. Slightly off topic, but there are also people who want to see the Nemo subs go away for the same reason I think, but I'm not one of them, since I enjoy the now unique nature of the subs and their history, so would hate to see them leave DL.

For DHS, with all the other things going on (TSL, Galaxy's Edge, and the new Mickey ride replacing GMR), there is probably enough new for a while before feeling the "need" to remove Star Tours from it's spot.

candles71
07-19-2017, 09:10 AM
Given the story of Galaxy's Edge, I don't think Star Tours belongs there. I agree. It should stay in TL.

bumblebeeonarose
07-19-2017, 12:03 PM
Star Tours isn't going to move to Galaxy's Edge. Some have speculated that it could move to DCA and be used in an Iron Man ride. That seems expensive to me. But who knows.

A rumor I read previously suggested that Marvel will come to DCA (confirmed at D23) and that there will be a remodel/renovation of Fantasyland after the completion of Star Wars land, and that it wouldn't be until at least all of that is done that they would touch Tomorrowland. That all seems so far away. Two years until the next D23, at that time they could announce whatever new plans they have. I imagine nothing much is happening in the next two years besides a bit of Pixar Dust, the completion of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, and the beginning of the construction for Marvel Land at DCA. So no reason for them to announce anything else since it's not happening until after the next D23. Bummer for us, yeah for WDW.

olegc
07-19-2017, 12:31 PM
Yeah I think Disneyland's Tomorrowland would not see anything for at least 10 years.

goalieump413
07-19-2017, 08:24 PM
A lot of money would need to go into any renovation to TL, and since DLR has already spent a ton of dough on SWL, any major change should be deferred to some other time, allowing all things new to fulfill our expectations first. Let that dust settle, then...

Additionally, since IP attractions are gaining favor over educational attractions (WDW especially, but DLR is not exempt either), to move ST out of TL would be counter to the decisions Disney Parks has been making over the past few years (Tower of Terror as one example, not educational, just sayin'). This is a natural move of course, since Disney has been gobbling up IP's and extending licenses more than they've done historically. More IP story, more reason to remake the Parks in that image.

I generally agree that TL needs significant work. In fact, I wouldn't be all that sad to see the whole Land closed for a couple of years to remake and refresh it. But that would have to come off the heels of some major real world scientific discovery or significant new IP story.

It's the one Land that needs the most work, and the one that seems to get the least attention.