PDA

View Full Version : Are the fireworks down for some reason?

Ace
01-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Disneyland.com Calendar (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/calendar/index?selectedDate=2/14/2004&Stay=1&DLP=DLP&submitted=true)

:(

Darkbeer
01-22-2004, 09:49 PM
It is simple.... BUDGET!

This is the off season, and they are offering Fantasmic! on the weekends, so you get one or the other...

A minor issue might be the Air Quality Board, as Disney tries to reduce the amount of "pollution" it creates... but the big thing is the cost of operating both....

MrTomMorrow
01-22-2004, 10:33 PM
I'll bet the neighbors are enjoying the relative quiet and clearer air...

Morrigoon
01-22-2004, 10:47 PM
I was about to say, must please the NIMBYs of the world

Germboy
01-23-2004, 02:23 AM
I didn't know that the fireworks were shown at this time. Maybe I'm wrong...I honestly don't remember.

If they have shown them in the previous couple of years in Jan./Feb., maybe Mr. Ouimet is returning to another era, when they were only shown during the summer.:confused:

Seems to me that I remember writing on my calender that the fireworks were set to restart around May. Who knows?

I know for a fact that, years ago, they were only shown for about 3 months, during the summer. Fantasy In The Sky!:)

Gr8Scott
01-23-2004, 08:15 AM
In my last visit (Late February 2003) we enjoyed fireworks on the weekends. I am disappointed to find out that when my family returns in late February 2004, there will be no fireworks (not to mention the numerous refurbs happening). I guess that's what you get for going in the off-season.

Old Blue
01-25-2004, 12:06 AM
The launch area is going under a major rehab. The whole area has been cleared and a new concrete pad will be built for the new air launchers that are being built in Florida. I was told the completion date but that was months ago and I don't remember the date. The launch area in the road behind toontown (toontown alley) will remain the same for now.

Germboy
01-25-2004, 01:12 AM
Did you hear why they are being built in Florida?

Also, are they building them to different specs than what are currently used? (In other words, are they changing the amount of launchers or their configuration?)

How old is their current launcher?

Old Blue
01-25-2004, 12:37 PM
I didn't ask but it is most likely a cost issue. Florida builds a ot of things for us. One example are the trams that you ride in on.

The new units are air launchers, mounted on 6 or 8 trailers ( I forget how many) set side by side and end to end to make a large platform. Each launcher will have it own barrel and valve assembly. Not like the turrets that they first gave us to try. There will no 8" shells from the air launchers, but there were very few of those anyway. On the ground some of the launchers will be lined up differently but you won't notice that in the show. I believe that there will be more launchers but I don't have the numbers.

The old tubes were just black PVC tube with wood plugs in the bottom. They were changed as they wore out or became damaged. There was no single launcher, just a series of launch tubes in rows. I don't know how long the current configeration has been in place, at least 6 years that I can remember.

zapppop
01-25-2004, 03:14 PM
Great.
We know the fireworks are on hiatus.
Now, does anyone know when they're coming back ?

None of the CMs today have been able to give us an answer.

TP2000
01-25-2004, 03:54 PM
I would guess Easter Vacation at the earliest, Memorial Day Weekend at the latest.

It wasn't until just a couple of years ago that Disneyland even did fireworks during the "off season". They only did fireworks during summer, from Mid June through to Labor Day Weekend for several decades. In the mid 90's they occasionally did Fantasy In The Sky during the Easter Vacation weeks, before stopping for 6 weeks until summer started. And when Walt was alive, fireworks were strictly for summertime only. We are kind of spoiled now.