PDA

View Full Version : Never though I'd say it, but I'm coming to DCA!

dshimel
10-04-2001, 08:19 AM
Well, I missed a chance at a cheap flight to WDW, and couldn't get much of a room discount. I checked COS->LAX, and what do you know, $450 tickets are going for $180-200!

I called DLR, and got a military (reserves) rate on a theme park view room at Grand Californianian for $149WD, $189WE. For the Thur-Fri-Sat nights (Oct 25-28), the total with taxes is only $617 + resort fee.

Next, I called to check rental car rates to compare to shuttle. I got a goverment rate at Hertz of $11 a day!!!!!

So, that is
air for 2 people: $448
Grand CA: $637
Rental car: $37

I haven't checked the 3 day tickets through base, but I think they are about $80 per.

That will give me air, room, car, and passes for under $1300.

I'm thinking of dropping the first night at Grand CA, and staying off site that first night. That would take another $100 or so off the price.

We got a 2-queen room, and am thinking of inviting another couple to split the cost of the room. :-)

Is there anything I'm missing from this planning?

80S ERA
10-05-2001, 09:54 AM
When are you going? Hope you update us on how your trip went. Are you worried that they will call you for duty with all that is going on right now?

Lani
10-05-2001, 10:11 AM
I think as long as you have formal leave you're OK. Just make sure to count the weekends (when you normally have a work day off) as leave days too, because otherwise they can call you for duty for Saturday or Sunday.

dshimel
10-05-2001, 02:46 PM
Ummmmm,
I'm not active duty, so don't need leave. In fact, I'm not even active reserves. You can be in the reserves and drill a weekend a month, or you can be in the reserves and not drill. I never show up, and they don't pay me. The odds of inactive reserve getting called up is pretty remote.