PDA

View Full Version : A strange request - scattering/burying ashes at DL

Pages : [1] 2

Biscuit
01-21-2004, 04:07 PM
Hi Guys

I know this might seem a little morbid/strange for some, but I'm interested in finding out the real legalities of whether someone can have their ashes scattered or buried at Disneyland.

I know I've read some "stories" on the board here about people trying to do it, but without permission. I was thinking of finding out the real legalities of maybe sponsoring a plaque/tree where ashes could be buried underneath. It doesn't have to be in a prominent position.

Does anyone know what department I should contact, or had an experience with doing something like this?

Thanks
Amanda

Mickeyslittlehelper
01-21-2004, 04:36 PM
Please dont do anything like that. Buy a brick out front.

sediment
01-21-2004, 04:38 PM
My guess is that the answer would be "NO!"

Biscuit
01-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Any HELPFUL answers anyone...?

DisneyFan25863
01-21-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Biscuit
Any HELPFUL answers anyone...?

Those were helpful. Disney won't allow it. It's been tried before. If you still want to try, I would think Landscaping would be the place to call. But it's not gonna happen. :|

MrTomMorrow
01-21-2004, 05:13 PM
A while ago, the Haunted Mansion (which I believe at the time was in its holiday incarnation) had to be shut down because a grieving family scattered the ashes of a recently deceased child all over the inside of the attraction.

This is frowned upon.

Forbin
01-21-2004, 05:13 PM
Maybe and just maybe mind you:

See if you buy one of those personalized paving stones they sell there and see if you can put something special underneath it before they cement it in.

Photographer
01-21-2004, 05:16 PM
If you want to know the literal answer, call an attorney.

Biscuit
01-21-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Forbin
Maybe and just maybe mind you:

See if you buy one of those personalized paving stones they sell there and see if you can put something special underneath it before they cement it in.

That's a good idea...thanks.

I wouldn't do it without consulting DL. It would be disruptive to smuggle it in and scatter at will.

sediment
01-21-2004, 05:32 PM
Sounds as if you want the answer to conform to the one in your head. Too bad. Try again.

You can be extremely rude to 20000 other people and try this:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/david/dk021218.htm
Story about halfway down. circa 12/18/2002 (Hey, web guys: put some date stamps on these archives -- more than the one in the address.)
Then, about a month later:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/david/dk030107.htm
Story about halfway down.

Biscuit
01-22-2004, 12:06 PM
*hangs head, takes a deep breath, tries again*

Why do people immediatly assume I'm asking because I'm going to waltz into DL and dump these ashes where I feel like?

Please respect what I'm asking - I want to do this LEGITIMATELY.

Just because there have been cases of people trying to do it their way, doesn't mean there isn't a RIGHT way.

I know this is a wierd request, but I'm not some wierdo who is going to gaily get her offspring to run rampant through Space Mountain scattering ashes willy nilly.

I'm not being rude. I legitimately want an answer.

mamabot
01-22-2004, 12:10 PM
I do not think that Disney would allow this freely, even with a lawyer to back you up.

I think everyone has given you the best advice they can.

sediment
01-22-2004, 12:14 PM
Why do you think anyone here knows the answer? I don't know if anyone here is that weird. Sure, it's possible, but I wouldn't assume it. Not out loud.

I didn't say you were being rude. I said that you COULD be rude and just go there and scatter them on a ride or wherever, risking the health of the 20000 guests in the park that day. Seems you won't be doing that, so good for all.

tod
01-22-2004, 12:17 PM
Matt Ouimet
Disneyland Resort
1313 Harbor Boulevard
Anaheim, California 92803

Dear Mr. Ouimet:

I am an attorney representing Biscuit, a devotee of Disneyland, who has what you may think is an unusual request...

Have your attorney take it from there.

--T

Biscuit
01-22-2004, 01:54 PM
Tod...sweet. I've never dealt with a lawyer before (despite my age!), so it might be worth a try when I write up my will.

Sorry if I came across as defensive guys. I just thought with the wide variety people here, there might have been some legit experience with this.

Btw...I'm not dying! Just doing long term forward planning ;)

Yeah, after reading the "yikes" stories about ppl trying it out, I wanted to do it legit.

adriennek
01-22-2004, 02:00 PM
Personally, I think the chances are quite, quite slim, but I don't know officially what the policy is.

Adrienne

FuneralGuy
01-22-2004, 08:16 PM
Long time lurker on this board. Had to register after all this time to finally put this issue to rest.

I am a "Subject Matter Expert" for the Cemetery & Funeral Bureau for the California Department of Consumer Affairs, I am also a licensed Funeral Director & Embalmer. I beleive I have the credentials to speak on this and provide factual information.

When a death occurs in the State of California, and the result in disposition of the deceased is cremation, there are legal forms that must be completed prior to cremation, these are done at the time of the Funeral Arrangements at the funeral home. One of these documents is the "Declaration of Disposition of Cremated Cremains." This form is required of all Funeral Establishments for each cremation. This form is signed by the person or persons that have right of control of disposition over the deceased, and it is also signed by the person who is requesting cremation. This form also inquires about the final place of disposition of the cremains. The information listed must be descriptive, it will aslo appear on the CA Death Certificate. Usually what would be listed is: Residence of Spouse; Jane Doe, 123 Main Street, Anytown, CA or Scattered at sea, 3 miles off the coast of Los Angeles County, CA or ABC Cemetery, 123 Main Street, Anytown, CA.
Ashes maybe scattered at sea as long as it is a large body of water, and not fresh water such as a pond, lake, canal or inlet, and it can not be done from a bridge or pier and it must be done approx. 3 mile in seaward.
Ashes are not to be disposed off in public property, ashes may be "placed" in private property (Such as Disneyland) but only with expressed written permission (to be submitted to the Health Dept. at the time the death certificate and permit is being filed) from the owner. In other words The Walt Disney Company will NEVER authorize such a request.
Quite frankly, if this an out of state cremation, the California Law is still enforced, A "California Permit for Dispositon" is needed in order to legally dispose of cremains and the permit must be filed (and approved) by the Health Department in that County where disposal will take place (such as Orange County).
Of course I probably do not need to say, but I feel it should still be reinterated "Any other Disposal of Human Remains or Cremated Remains without proper authorizations is illegal and carries a $10,000 fine and possible jail time."

Thanks, I will know just continue to lurk and keep quiet.

JMG

Darkbeer
01-22-2004, 08:23 PM
Hi there, JMG...

Thanks for the scoop, it is nice when people share what they know...

And you don't have to lurk, you are more than welcome to continue to post, even if it is just your opinion.....

There are a LOT of nice folks around here:)

cemeinke
01-22-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by FuneralGuy
"Any other Disposal of Human Remains or Cremated Remains without proper authorizations is illegal and carries a $10,000 fine and possible jail time."

I guess Dad's going to stay in the bookshelf for a while.

Not Afraid
01-22-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
There are a LOT of nice folks around here:)

Originally posted by cemeinke

I guess Dad's going to stay in the bookshelf for a while.

Yes there are. My husband and his Dad included.:rolleyes: ;)

cemeinke
01-22-2004, 08:36 PM
Whoa - FuneralGuy, one post and already banned - that's got to be a record. You must be serious about your lurker status.

innerSpaceman
01-22-2004, 08:42 PM
:confused:

Um, seriously ... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Andrew
01-22-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Whoa - FuneralGuy, one post and already banned - that's got to be a record. You must be serious about your lurker status.

Though we usually don't discuss moderation actions in public, I'm making a small exception in this case. FuneralGuy was a "sock puppet" account created by someone who is not welcome on MousePad. When this was determined, the new account was banned as well.

It had nothing to do with the content of his post.

innerSpaceman
01-22-2004, 08:49 PM
what a relief.

I mean, I'm thinking 'did he reveal sensitive county funerary procedures?'

Thanks for breaking policy, cause I would have always wondered what disclosure of official procedural information could get you into trouble around here.

Andrew
01-22-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Thanks for breaking policy, cause I would have always wondered what disclosure of official procedural information could get you into trouble around here.

None that I know of. Heck, people talk about Disneyland policy all the time.

Actually, if the post was a direct copy-and-paste of copywrited content (such as an employee handbook) we'd probably have to remove it--but only for copyright reasons. Paraphrasing is the way to go there.