PDA

View Full Version : As an AP holder, what do you do?

awinner
10-03-2001, 10:28 PM
So here is a question to ponder....This is my 1st year as an AP holder. I have it for both parks. Since July, I have gone about 17 times. I really enjoy every second I am there, and my wife and I try to do something different every time. My question is this...especially for the people who go there ALOT. What do you do to keep the excitement and thrill every time you go. Do you do stuff that is not known to the general public? Is there something that I should know about. I'm not bored at all, I just want to know how I can maximize my time & fun. We go from the time the park opens, until it closes and take out sweet time leaving the park.

ishthroat
10-03-2001, 10:46 PM
As a premium annual pass holder for both parks and newbie to AP's I've had similar question. I've had my pass since last August
and have visited the either park at least once a week. This is what I've done to keep things fresh and interesting.

1) Since I work @ night I go for a few hours a day and take my
time going from place to place. Unless I am with my girlfriend or
someone else.

2) I try to avoid the weekends as much as possible. Why go there
when you know its gonna be busy/mad house. Take advantage
of weekdays/weeknights.

3) Discover the greatness that is Disney merchandise. Take your time in the various shops, you'll be amazed @ what you've passed up on, or missed in your hurry to get a fastpass or on a ride.

4) Invite a friend or family member who hasn't gone in a while.
I got my girlfriend a DPAP (dual premium annual pass) so that
she could join me whenever we got a jones for Disney magic.

5) Wander around Downtown Disney. Check out the ever changing merchandise in the stores.

6) Each time you go, don't go on everything. Do a few things here, and few things there. Remember you can always come back tomorrow, the next week, or the next month.

7) Finally, the CM's (Cast Members) are some of the nicest employees you'll run into. Get to know them, make new firends!

Morrigoon
10-03-2001, 10:54 PM
July.......17......... I love it ;)

A lot of us do.....nothing. And love every second of it.

I typically have lunch, see a couple shows, go on a couple attractions, and sit around at Coke Corner listening to Rod. On Saturdays, my swing dance partner and I go to Carnation Plaza and dance to the live band (very cool).

I do a lot of strolling around, and not too many attractions. One thing about having the AP.... you almost never stand in line for ANYTHING. At least not more than 5 minutes.

awinner
10-03-2001, 10:58 PM
What do you do with your AP that you never have to wait in line?

Morrigoon
10-03-2001, 11:03 PM
Not never "have to", never "do". Big difference ;)

By the time you renew you will have the same approach to lines as the rest of us veterans. "I can always do that another day when the line's shorter." The nice thing is, when you no longer feel the pressing urge to hit every singe e-ticket in the park, you are freed up to really enjoy some of the special things that make Disneyland, Disneyland. Have you ever gone back to Frontierland several times in a day to catch the next installment of "Laughing Stock"? (that's the show in front of the golden horseshoe involving a cowboy, the mayor, and "ellie mae". each show in the day is a new episode of the storyline. the story ends around 5 or 6 - ask a CM for specific set times)

Being freed up from standing in line, I can go back all day long to catch the show. Stuff like that.

merlinjones
10-04-2001, 07:18 AM
I like to go about once a month just to wander around the park for a few hours, usually on a Sunday afternoon. I don't like to go early, but usually in the afternoon, or if on a summer day - - in the evening to catch TinkerBell and fireworks (my favorite thing). Maybe grab a light lunch or snack.

I find I rarely go on rides unless I have an urge for the experience - - in this way, the attractions keep fresh as I sort of "reissue" them to myself - - with no desperation to have to ride anything (like in the days when it was all one long day trip with much to do).

I just like to walk. Disneyland is a great place to stroll and walk laps while enjoying the scenery and people watching. Add Tom Sawyer Island, the Tree House and Gallery and you get a nice light excercise over varied terrain (watch out for SUV strollers!).

There are interesting shows and details that the frenzied visitor misses. I like to check out the park and imagine the possibilities for rehabs and improvements... see what's new (if anything). I like to connect to the "Walt vibe" things that are left, like Tiki Room, Pirates, Twain, Casey Jr. etc. to re-experience my lost youth and idealism. Other favorites like Alice I visit depending on the line. It's like Soul-food.

One downside of the whole FastPass thing for me is that on moderate traffic days I used to choose to go on a Space Mountain or Splash Mountain based on the line (evenings were great!), but FastPass has redistributed people heavily throughout the day so the stand by line is generally not appealing at any time if there are any crowds at all. FastPass itself is no good to the causual two or three hour tourist as the return times are often for very late in the day when you'll be gone. So now I'm resigned to do some of these only on the off-season.

This is a generally pleasant way to do the park for me, with the heavy rides and touring reserved for those times when I take visitors from out-of-town for the big DL day.

It's also one of the reasons I miss things like Skyway and PeopleMover. They were pleasant, relaxing, touring things I could do while daydreaming. One by one these are disappearing.

Jeffrey Woodson
10-04-2001, 08:17 AM
Yes, what to do... I am a displaced AP now living in wisconsin. Gawd, how awful!. My wife and I would have fun, great fun doing almost nothing at DL. Without the pressure, we were free to enjoy simpler things. One of my favorite things was drinking that wonderful Main Street Bakery DL house blend coffee. (Youy can't get it refilled arounf the park like the others). One time we sat in teh little eating area just outside the bakery till about one in the morning. When we left the streets were empty. It was great fun. Another thing? (NOBODY LET THIS OUT!) Another thing we liked to do was watch for hopeless visitors. I mean an old couple from somewhere spinning in a daze pouring over their maps in confusion. We would just walk up and ask if everything was okay. In a few moments we were personal guides helping the visitors to an afternoon they would have never had without our help. This practice can become addictive! We also wear our name tags bought at the mad hatter shop, and we often get people asking us where the bathrooms and stuff are, or when a show is. We always know the answer, and it's fun. Well, did know... Did have fun.... Not here in this godforsaken backwater iceburg I now live in. GotTA GeT BAcK!!

blusilva
10-04-2001, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by awinner
What do you do to keep the excitement and thrill every time you go. Do you do stuff that is not known to the general public? Is there something that I should know about. I'm not bored at all, I just want to know how I can maximize my time & fun. We go from the time the park opens, until it closes and take out sweet time leaving the park.

For me, it's not about maximizing my time & fun, or about keeping the thrill...

It's all about being free to spend leisure time at a place I love.

When I go, usually I only spend a few hours there. If I only go for dinner or breakfast with a friend, then that's great. If I go and really want to go on the Matterhorn and it's closed....oh well, I'll catch it another time. If I go just because I want to catch a parade, or I feel like prowling the shops in NOS, then that's fine too.

It's a completely different mind set for me. It's not about doing things, it's about being there, soaking in the atmosphere, and stopping to smell the flowers. Literally. :)

Of course it helps that I have other friends who are APs. They pretty much feel the same way.

That's how I keep my interest alive. I treat Disneyland like a Park, not a "Theme Park".

80S ERA
10-04-2001, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
On Saturdays, my swing dance partner and I go to Carnation Plaza and dance to the live band (very cool).

Is someone volunteering their swing dance knowledge for some lessons? ;) I sure could use some. Beware though, I have 2 left feet!

splbound
10-04-2001, 08:56 AM
As a father of 4 girls and a family that has had Premium AP's for 5 years, we go about 3 or 4 times a month, and have never been at a loss for things to do. One day we'll go to the Island. The next we'll grab some popcorn, see a parade, then go. Occasionally we'll go on a hunt....How many hidden Mickeys can we find.....We've been there for every ride opening, every ride closure.....We've done Trivia games, scavenger hunts, or just riden rides. There are plenty of bands and entertainment, we've even gone to the main street cinema and watched cartoons. Sometimes it's fun to people watch. Try spending an afternoon in the Gallery over Pirates. Then there's the whole new world to explore at DCA. Or DTD. Or the Hotels....After all that, we do it all again......It's always fresh, always new.

The most important thing is that it is something that we all do as a family.

Niwel
10-04-2001, 09:29 AM
I often go the parks by myself with my AP. The best part is being able to do the things that you probably would have time to do if you were there for only a day or two...
Watch the parade or try to get in it.
Take the train around (the whole way)
Ride the Mark Twain
Watch Mr. Lincoln or go to the Tiki Room
Read all the funny signs around toontown
check out the windows on main Street

Or even have a theme:
Conquer the Mountain ranges
Only go on attractions based on animated films
Pick up the "where in Disneyland is?" book and try to find the stuff on your own.

When all else fails...
Pretend to be the goofiest tourists you can imagine.
Take pictures of EVERYTHING.... the garbage cans, your food, the other people, the sky. Just have fun!!
You paid for it:D

Andrew
10-04-2001, 10:31 AM
I love this thread. It reminds me of the best of what the USENET groups used to be. It is also, for the first time in quite a while, causing a bit of regret for my decision to move up to the Bay Area.

For me, having an AP means having a place to go where I always see people I know and like being with. And, the idea of being able to go to Disneyland whenever I want somehow strikes a chord in me when I stop to think about how lucky I am (was).

We still have our APs of course, but they are sadly under-used. See you all on Sunday, though!

Berry Princess
10-04-2001, 12:04 PM
Well I know I love going when we do. We try to go at least once a month. We got our APs this year in Jan. I will usually go during the day on a Friday with our 3 yr old and spend the day with him and then my husband will join us later in the evening. My son has rides he likes to go on and we do those during or time there and he loves visiting the characters in their homes and stuff. I will take my camera with us to get pics of him with them. We walk thru the shops (usually during his nap time) and look around at al the different items. It helps give me an idea for birthday presents and christmas for family that love certain Disney characters. Last time we went was the beginning of Sept and we did a few things we haven't been able to do before. We went to watch the parade in a really good spot and saw the Tiki room show. I haven't seen that since I was a kid myself so I thought it would be fun for us to do. He loved it. I love having the AP since we know we can come back whenever if we miss something that day or just don't want to deal with the lines. Its nice to not feel rushed. We will go with my parents if they want to go or if my husband's sister or mom want to go. I have a friend I go with also . We have gone for years together and have made plans to this month with it just being us and no kids or husbands. LOL We have finally decided to that we should be visiting more of the different places to eat then we have in the past. Having the APs is a nice way to do this. I think alot of the people that have posted on this so far have given wonderful ideas about what to do with your time at the park. It is a great place to just walk around and people watch. Plus enjoy the time with family.

Cadaverous Pallor
10-04-2001, 03:40 PM
Ah, the freedom of an AP (and a local address). I echo everyone else's sentiments about the pleasure of just hanging out there. My fiance and I find it very romantic.

As for things to keep it fresh, just reading up on the latest here at MousePlanet/Pad helps build interest in the finer points in the park. You'll find out trivia and details that keep you going back and searching for the evidence.

One thing we did that was really fun was we went to hiddenmickeys.org (http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/) and typed up a list of the mickeys we thought were feasible to find (since a lot of what is posted there are obvious to be called hidden, or just wishful thinking). We then spent a whole day tracking these down. It was fun and makes you look in a lot of out of the way places. This could easily be spread out for weeks, with a day or night dedicated to each land, or each type of Mickey (on rides, on buildings, etc.) We haven't covered DCA yet and will start soon.

Just remember to ride one of our favorites - "The Bench Ride" - and watch the glow in children's eyes as they take in the park. I also love watching people stream out when it gets late. Children sleeping in strollers still clutching their toy or balloon....priceless stuff.

Morrigoon
10-04-2001, 04:49 PM
Jeffrey Woodson:

Either you or your wife needs to get a job with the airlines. Then you can fly back any time you wish!

(Not that I would know anything about airline jobs ;) )

rexfarms
10-04-2001, 05:12 PM
How about some Patriotic things AP have been doing?

adriennek
10-04-2001, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
I love this thread. It reminds me of the best of what the USENET groups used to be. It is also, for the first time in quite a while, causing a bit of regret for my decision to move up to the Bay Area.

For me, having an AP means having a place to go where I always see people I know and like being with. And, the idea of being able to go to Disneyland whenever I want somehow strikes a chord in me when I stop to think about how lucky I am (was).

We still have our APs of course, but they are sadly under-used. See you all on Sunday, though!

Andrew, darling,

I, and many others, would be more than happy to welcome you and the lovely Mrs. Andrew "home" to Southern California any time....

;) Adrienne K who misses her friend Mrs. Andrew very much. (Yeah, I miss Andrew, too...)