PDA

View Full Version : Travel advice from San Diego

cactusgirl
01-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Hello,

What is the best route to take from San Diego to DL? We are driving up on a Saturday and returning on a Wednesday morning. In Texas, that drive should take no time. However, in California I have heard about this awful thing called traffic :eek: Would it be smarter to try I-15 on our return instead of I-5? Thank you for your sage advice.

efoxx
01-20-2004, 11:01 AM
now admittidly it has been years since I have actually lived in SD. so there are those who are more versed in current travel trends. but in my limited knowledge I-15 comes nowhere near anaheim. in fact it would require a trip east of about half the total distance from SD to anaheim just to reach I-15. the best bet would be to stay with I-5 and take advantage of the diamond lanes when ever you can.
once you get south of capistrano it shouldn't be to bad. until you get closer to SD. then you could consider alternate routes depending on where in sd you are headed.

HBTiggerFan
01-20-2004, 11:10 AM
If you're driving up from San Diego take the 5 North all the way to Disneyland.

Exit Harbor Blvd, turn right and then turn Left on Ball. Turn left onto Disneyland Dr. and follow the signs to the parking structure.

If you can, leave San Diego after 8pm or 10am, there should be less traffic, and depending where you are starting from it could take as little as 45 minutes.

TheBigChurro
01-20-2004, 11:17 AM
If you leave from Oceanside, it may take 45 minutes. If you leave from San Diego, it's gonna take you closer to 90.

MotorBoat Cruiser
01-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Yes, take the 5 both ways. When coming to Disneyland, stay in the carpool lane and get off on Disney Way from the carpool lane. That exit takes you straight into the Timon parking lot. If it is not full and is being used that particular day, I find it to be much less of a hassle than the "Mickey and Friends" parking structure. If Timon isn't available though, you will be routed towards the other parking structure.

Have fun on your trip!

MotorBoat Cruiser
01-20-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by cactusgirl
Hello,

We are driving up on a Saturday and returning on a Wednesday morning.

Also, as far as leaving Saturday morning, if you leave early enough, say before 8 or 9, you shouldn't hit too much traffic, if any. Coming home on the Wednesday, you may find that traffic is lighter if you leave Anaheim after 9am. That when rush hour starts to die down. And like somone else said, once you are past San Clemente, you should hit little if any traffic.

timl33
01-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Taking the train might solve some headaches of driving. But you'd better have a hotel that's close by to the parks, otherwise, you'll either be doing a lot of walking, or paying a lot for cabs.

Other than that, stick to I-5.

Originally posted by cactusgirl
Hello,

What is the best route to take from San Diego to DL? We are driving up on a Saturday and returning on a Wednesday morning. In Texas, that drive should take no time. However, in California I have heard about this awful thing called traffic :eek: Would it be smarter to try I-15 on our return instead of I-5? Thank you for your sage advice.

Forbin
01-20-2004, 03:22 PM
If there is an accident on the 5 going home, you are screwed for a 3 hour wait. If not, traffic is minimal.

It's a 1 hour detour to go to the I-15 route so I would say plan your route carefully and go to

Traffic Check (http://www.sigalert.com)

before you go home and click on the Orange County map. You will be able to see if you have to take the I-15

spectromen
01-20-2004, 03:57 PM
I would suggest Amtrak also, to the Anaheim Stadium station. No worries about traffic. The closest hotel is Towne Place Suites at Katella & State College which you can walk to. To get to the park, you can use the OCTA that runs on Katella (which runs a lot more often than shuttles!) or you can rent a car. If you do drive, DON'T take that 15 route you proposed...it's out of the way and you'll then have to use the 91 which I guarantee you're not prepared for!

EandCDad
01-20-2004, 05:26 PM
Based on the times you say you are going, Saturday AM going north and Wednesday AM going south, there is no need to worry about much traffic. Just try to leave before 9am on Saturday and make sure you wait until after about 9am on Wednesday and you will be fine. It's not worth it to leave your car and take the train unless your hotel is right near the park. Our family drives up and down from San Diego to DL all the time and based on those times, you should be fine, just DON'T take the I-15.

adriennek
01-20-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Forbin
If there is an accident on the 5 going home, you are screwed for a 3 hour wait. If not, traffic is minimal.

It's a 1 hour detour to go to the I-15 route so I would say plan your route carefully and go to

Traffic Check (http://www.sigalert.com)

before you go home and click on the Orange County map. You will be able to see if you have to take the I-15

Based on the times she's driving this shouldn't be an issue, but there's also a chance of a major traffic headache taking the 91 through the Santa Ana Canyon and Corona just to get to the 15.

I say: Stick with the 5.

Adrienne