PDA

View Full Version : Accident Apology

MrTomMorrow
01-18-2004, 02:31 PM
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but I just noticed on the Space Mountain page (http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/tdl/english/7land/tomorrow/atrc_mountain.html) of the official Tokyo Disneyland site that there is a "Notice and Apology Regarding the Accident at Space Mountain." The accident, which happened last month, was that one of the trains on the attraction derailed. The text is as follows:

"Regarding the accident at the Space Mountain attraction at Tokyo Disneyland Park on December 5, 2003, we sincerely apologize for the great trouble and concern this caused our Guests and the general public.
To determine the exact cause of the accident, we are currently conducting a detailed investigation of the wheel shaft that broke.
Operation of Space Mountain will resume once the cause of the accident has been determined and all appropriate measures have been taken to confirm and assure the safety of the attraction. We apologize for the continued inconvenience and request the understanding and patience of our Guests.
The reopening of the attraction will be notified through the press and our Official Home Page.
We will continue to give top priority to ensuring safety at Tokyo Disney Resort. "

Even though nobody was injured in the derailment in Tokyo, they still posted this "apology" and explanation. Disneyland doesn't do this... In such accidents as the one on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad or California's Space Mountain, Disneyland.com didn't post an explanation besides the fact that the attractions were under refurbishment, let alone an apology. I guess there's just a different culture in Japan, but such an action does send out a clearer message to the public that the company cares. I think Disneyland could also benefit from such actions.

blusilva
01-18-2004, 02:56 PM
In the U.S., an apology is pretty much considered an admission of guilt. I guess they aren't as litigious in Japan.

Bruce Bergman
01-18-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by blusilva
In the U.S., an apology is pretty much considered an admission of guilt. I guess they aren't as litigious in Japan.

Due to the fact that they are packed into their cities almost like sardines, the Japanese have to be almost neurotically polite to each other, or minor slights could easily escalate into something ugly.

(As an example, the "packers" on the subway & railway platforms - working there to get as many people in the cars as possible, and make sure there are no spare limbs left outside the doors as they close. There's a lot of 'pardon me's' and 'excuse me's' [in Japanese, naturally] going on...)

In the US I have been told by a corporate legal staff to NOT apologize for anything, orally or in writing, unless I check with them first.

I work for a small business now, but the vehicle insurance companies will tell you the same thing - don't apologize, don't admit to any guilt, responsibility or liability... Just exchange information, take pictures, call the police if there are any injuries, and only then leave the scene. Call the insurer and leave it to them.

In the Work Truck I tapped the bumper of the car ahead of me in the rain a few years ago - No injuries, no damage done, but the lady was more angry that I would not apologize to her than about the accident itself, even though I explained why I couldn't apologize (even though I really wanted to). :rolleyes:

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

David R
01-18-2004, 07:43 PM
I work at a university and our marketing people had some text for an ad that said something like "we promise you a 1st rate education" or whatever.

The lawyers made them change the word "promise" because the word "promise" establishes a contract and someone could sue us if they don't feel they got a "1st rate education."

TheatreTech
01-19-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Bruce Bergman
In the Work Truck I tapped the bumper of the car ahead of me in the rain a few years ago - No injuries, no damage done, but the lady was more angry that I would not apologize to her than about the accident itself, even though I explained why I couldn't apologize (even though I really wanted to). :rolleyes:
So, what did you say to the lady? "I'm sorry, but, I can't apologize." ;)

Bruce Bergman
01-19-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by TheatreTech
So, what did you say to the lady? "I'm sorry, but, I can't apologize." ;)

Basically, yes. :rolleyes: I tap-danced around apologizing-without-apologizing, and explained why - She eventually caught on, and calmed down.

Germboy
01-19-2004, 04:08 PM
First thing I learned as a salesman was to never apologize. It just makes people madder.

TheBigChurro
01-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Germboy
First thing I learned as a salesman was to never apologize. It just makes people madder.

which is probably why the stereotypical salesman is held in such high regard.

In this case, I think we Americans could learn something from the Japanese.

MrTomMorrow
01-20-2004, 11:55 AM
I agree. It's a shame that our society is so lawsuit-happy. A good old-fashioned apology, I think, can work wonders.

Germboy
01-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by TheBigChurro
which is probably why the stereotypical salesman is held in such high regard.

In this case, I think we Americans could learn something from the Japanese.

The perfect salesman is as elusive as the perfect customer.
I don't blame a defense lawyer for defending the guilty. He's just doing his job.

Maybe Japanese consumers know something we don't.

Most new salesmen apologize. Try being an apologetic salesman and see what happens.:)

Disneyfreak
01-20-2004, 03:36 PM
Im going to copy and paste that into the email I am going to give to the Disneyland Resort, and give them a piece of my mind. :rolleyes:

cstephens
01-20-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
Im going to copy and paste that into the email I am going to give to the Disneyland Resort, and give them a piece of my mind. :rolleyes:

What are you going to say?

HBTiggerFan
01-20-2004, 06:10 PM
I thought there was some sort of legislation passed saying that an apology was not an admission of guilt because so many people were being taken to court or forced to settle because they said "I'm sorry".

Germboy
01-20-2004, 08:29 PM
Could be.

In the case of sales or public relations, however, apologizing is still one of the worst things you can do (no matter what the legislation).

Until there is some law forcing customers to "forgive and forget," the best advice for anyone trying to sway someone's opinion (and it involves a customer's hard-earned money) is: Dont apologize. Ever.

Talking is cheap and customers don't want to hear your problems and how much you regret slighting them. Customers think that if you were REALLY sorry, it wouldn't have happened in the first place. That's just the way people are.

Notice I didn't apologize, either. ;)

Disneyfreak
01-20-2004, 09:21 PM
That's not the way I see it. I see it as having the public feel sorry for you and that you didn't mean it, and you are trying your best to resolve the problem. I take it as a positive move, not a bad move. Im sure the public would feel much better, and it would certainly help since all Eisner could do is read from a poorly written speech on a paper about how sorry he is about the accident on Big Thunder. LOL I could have done a better job, and I wouldn't of even had a paper to go off of, it would be coming from the heart. But Eisner has no heart..:rolleyes:

DrIndianaJones
01-21-2004, 10:07 AM
I work in food service and have found that aplogizing will work with a certain group of people, and the other group will not be happy with you no matter what is said or not said. So for the people who will be satisfied by a simple aplogy and remedy I will do so, that other "jerk" group I am sarcastic when I aplogize and know that I will never be able to make them happy. At least for the American culture. In Japan the culture is different, so an apology will not only smooth feathers but also impress.

marron-cream
01-21-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Germboy
Most new salesmen apologize. Try being an apologetic salesman and see what happens.:)

I apologized at Christmas to a guest angry about the long lines and subsequent ring-up-merchandise times in the shop. I apologized and asked him if there was anything I could do to make his day better... he told me to "just shut up."

Of course then I had to wish him a most WONDERFUL day at the HAPPIEST place on Earth as he was leaving. :~D

He in turn called me a profane name. I just smiled. :) And I still apologize to guests.

MrTomMorrow
01-21-2004, 04:19 PM
Wow, what a rude individual! I can't believe that anyone would treat someone who was trying to help in such a negative manner.

Bruce Bergman
01-21-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by MrTomMorrow
Wow, what a rude individual! I can't believe that anyone would treat someone who was trying to help in such a negative manner.

Oh, I'm not surprised. Not surprised at all...

I have to deal with disgruntled customers occasionally. And sometimes it seems as though they have a real need to blow up and let off a good rant at someone, never mind the facts, and they just picked lucky you to go off on. :mad:

And just like Dragnet, "Anything you say can and will be used against you" when they go to your boss, because you didn't give them whatever unreasonable request they wanted, for free, and immediately.

The ONLY defense is to talk to the boss first, before the customer gets to them, and make them aware of the details - that way they can ask the right questions to get to the bottom of it during their first contact with the customer, and save the usual lingering investigation.

If the boss works it right, they get the customer into a few "Yeah, But..." admission statements, and eventually the light comes on in the customer's head about just how big a horse's patoot they made of themselves... :rolleyes:

Whenever I get in a mess like that, I don't go off on the clerk - but on the supervisor who set up the unreasonably short staffing levels that created the long lines. The clerk can't help that, only the Boss.

MrTomMorrow
01-22-2004, 10:43 PM
The Oriental Land Company has posted a statement regarding the cause of the accident at Tokyo Disneyland's Space Mountain attraction last month.

http://www.olc.co.jp/news/20040121_01en.html

I found it interesting that they actually linked to this from the front page of Tokyo Disneyland's webpage, kind of like their apology to the public for this accident, which we would never see here in the United States, as discussed in an earlier thread. This is actually a neat look into the workings of the roller coaster... especially how they plan to remedy the problem.