PDA

View Full Version : DCA & Disneyland Attractions

stitchhead
01-16-2004, 02:19 PM
It has occurred to me that Disneyland and California Adventure has their own share of "downers". Downers are attractions that are either boring, too old, or just plain stupid. Here are some examples...

Boring Attractions: Innoventions, Golden Dreams, Tortilla Factory, etc.

Too Old Attractions: Tiki Room (god save my soul :rolleyes: ), Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, etc.

Stupid Attractions: Superstar Limo, etc.

Not only do my friends agree, but some of the people Ive talked to at the park. A couple of weeks ago, i remember I was talking to some tourists that said Honey, I Shrunk the Audience was boring. Along with the Tortilla Fatory, Disney Animation Studio, and Sourdough Bread Factory.

The solution? Either come up with unique ideas to replase these attractions, or duplicate attractions from Florida to install here? This leads to another question relating to this topic... should California Adventure create unique attractions to give a truely "unique" experience, or duplicate attractions from Florida so guests here can have a new experience? :confused:

cstephens
01-16-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by stitchhead
It has occurred to me that Disneyland and California Adventure has their own share of "downers". Downers are attractions that are either boring, too old, or just plain stupid.

But those labels that you use are not absolutes but rather, totally subjective.

As far as "old", I completely disagree that an attraction should be replaced simply because it's been there for X number of years. "Logan's Run", anyone?

BryanPeek
01-16-2004, 03:05 PM

Too Old Attractions: Tiki Room (god save my soul :rolleyes: ), Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, etc.

I will agree with you with the Tortilla Factory, although I don't consider it an actual "attraction." Why would you say that the Tiki Room is too old? It is a classic and should stay there forever, Honey, I Shrunk the Audience is not old what so ever! If your saying that's old then you could just say that the Matterhorn is too old, or something.

As far as Superstar Limo is concerned, it's not even running, so hopefully they can replace it with something else.

But Tiki Room is not old!!! I agree with cstephens.

Forbin
01-16-2004, 04:52 PM
Don't Kill the Tiki Room!

When you first go in, hand a right in the center and sit on the bench. Great Make out Spot :)

That place has too many good memories. Heck, change Innoventions before you touch my beloved tiki room.

Well change it by having them serve better food, them Pineapple Ice Creams suck. There are many ways to make better food than butchering them into an ice cream.

NirvanaMan
01-16-2004, 05:25 PM
Dole whips are the best part of the Tiki room. The Tiki room is boring. That dang clacking of all the puppets mouths (not even close to being properly timed with the wording).

disneydude
01-16-2004, 05:27 PM
Dole Whip is pretty popular at DL. I don't think they would replace that.

blusilva
01-16-2004, 05:31 PM
I love the Tiki Room as well, but have to agree that the technology is outdated to the point of cheezoidhood.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to see the Tiki Room "under new management" ala WDW. I don't need it snarkified in order to consider it "modern" (or "hip n edgy"). What I want to see is essentially the same show with all new, completely rebuilt, modern effects. Is that so much to ask?

stitchlvr
01-16-2004, 06:36 PM
Another vote here for the Tiki Room! It's one of our favorites. Although, I agree it needs some maintenance! Also, is my family alone in our love for the Animation Studio at DCA? We have spent hours and hours there. It never gets old for my 7 year old, although I wish they add some new movie clips to the central room!

Forbin
01-16-2004, 07:21 PM
Animation room...yah my 4 year old can spend 3 hours though I only let her spend 15 mins (Full cartoon run) max. She loves chasing the lights around on the main floor when they come on for Pinnochio.

stitchhead
01-16-2004, 08:07 PM
when i mentioned the Tiki Room as "old" i didnt mean it in a bad way:rolleyes:. i probably didnt mention it, but i love the Tiki Room, and yes, there are some good make out spots outside in the queue :fez:. all im trying to say is update the Tiki Room with new animatronics. heck, my 4 year old cousin went through it for the first time and loved it! so, sorry if i didnt get it across, god save the Tiki Room.

sleepyjeff
01-16-2004, 08:42 PM
It has occurred to me that Disneyland and California Adventure has their own share of "downers". Downers are attractions that are either boring, too old, or just plain stupid. Here are some examples...

:confused: Honey I shrunk the Audience is the same age as Innoventions.....why are they in two different catagories?

Attractions older than Honey I shrunk the Audience( deep breath ); Main St. Vehicles, Disneyland RR, Main St. Cinema, Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribean, Haunted Mansion, Explorer Canoes, Splash Mt., Mark Twain, Big Thunder, Pinnochio, Snow Whites Scary Adventures, King Arthurs Carousel, Peter pan flight, Mr. Toads Wild Ride, Dumbo, Casey Jr Circus train, Land Canal boats, It's a Small World, Matterhorn and just about everything inside Toon Town. Space Mt., and Autopia round out the list which I am sure is not complete.

In other words; HISTA stinks, but not because it is old......in fact, I ll take most of the old rides over most of the new rides any day!

:)

MonorailMan
01-16-2004, 08:46 PM
HISTA stinks because, it lacks any repeat visit quality. Unlike Captain EO, which at least had some groovy MJ music, you could go in and enjoy.

HISTA is too loud, and too annoying to enjoy alot. Now, I enjoy seeing things like Tiki, and Aladdin, over and over, because you can just sit back and relax.

I go to HISTA when I tired, and want to wake up. ;)

dlazechk
01-17-2004, 10:15 AM
seeing as this is all subjective:
rides and shows i can do without after our last 9 days at DLR:
matterhorn - still way too bumpy and not enough speed
innoventions - if you are not into video games then why bother
it's a small world holiday - the holiday version just does not match all the puppets while the original song stays in my head way too long
millionaire - only went once and got to play 8 questions which was a lot shorter than i remember
matterhorn madness - too jerky
ferris wheel - only go around once without stopping so too short.

rides and shows which were okay but nothing special
star tours - it sounded as if the walls were going to fall off
mr. toad, pinnochio, snow white and wtp - while they are all very pretty, we just tend to use them to kill time
pirates - something to do
jungle cruise - went once and the CM was really funny but i am not sure how many differentways you can retell the same basic joke. on a side note, can anyone imagine how many e-tickets could be put in the space jungle cruise takes up?
maliboomer - first time it scared me but then the effect wore off.
alladin - very pretty but boring. much preferred stomp.

rides and shows which are mustsee:
hista, muppets and bug's life - love the technology and the improvements over captain EO.
peter pan - prettiest ride in any park
splash mountain - so much to see inside, i would ride it even without the drop
HMH - not as ggod as the original but still very well done
fantasmic - 9 days there, cancelled on christmas day and we still saw it 11 times. this alone is worth the price of a premium AP for someone who will only use it 9 days this year.
believe in holiday magic fireworks - better than last year nad better the the new year's eve fireworks as well. last year when fantasmic did not run, this was our must see show.
soarin' - best ride at DLR that is running today
screamin' - second best ride today for me but i have to ride it alone.
animation workshop - really enjoyed just sitting and watching the presentation but the rest got old quick for me.
grizzly bear rapids - for thrills better than splash
brother bear show - pleasently surprised by how much we enjoyed the storyteller without having seen the movie.

Ace
01-17-2004, 12:23 PM
don't go on those rides, problem solved