PDA

View Full Version : Question about Jedi Training Academy

Hi-Ho
05-04-2017, 07:07 AM
I understand that you now have to sign up your child to participate. Can someone confirm exactly where this is done? Also, we usually go straight to Peter Pan at rope drop. Do we need to sign up for Training Academy first to guarantee getting a spot? Thank you so much!

candles71
05-04-2017, 07:46 AM
Yes, go first thing to sign up, it fills up quickly.
Go up the ramp for Launch Bay (Innoventions building) and it is to your left outside the building. This is also where they report back to.

Hi-Ho
05-04-2017, 07:52 AM
Yes, go first thing to sign up, it fills up quickly.
Go up the ramp for Launch Bay (Innoventions building) and it is to your left outside the building. This is also where they report back to.

Thanks so much! We will head there first. Do the kids have to be with me or could I send them to Peter Pan with my hubby while I go to sign them up for Jedi Training?

bumblebeeonarose
05-04-2017, 07:56 AM
Thanks so much! We will head there first. Do the kids have to be with me or could I send them to Peter Pan with my hubby while I go to sign them up for Jedi Training?

Kids must be with you. You could ride Peter Pan first and then go sign them up if it isn't a super busy day and you are flexible on the timing of the show you do.

Hi-Ho
05-04-2017, 08:01 AM
Kids must be with you. You could ride Peter Pan first and then go sign them up if it isn't a super busy day and you are flexible on the timing of the show you do.

So you think we would still get a spot if we did PP first? That would be my preference. Thanks!

bumblebeeonarose
05-04-2017, 12:53 PM
So you think we would still get a spot if we did PP first? That would be my preference. Thanks!

From everything I've read it sounds like the spots are open for about an hour on a typical day and longer on a non busy day. Some have even reported times being available after the first show started on slow days. I think if you only rode Peter Pan that you should be able to get spots for the show, but it is possible you wouldn't have your pick of times. And you might have to wait in line longer.

MagicBeliever
05-05-2017, 08:47 AM
Keep in mind also that they give half the tickets away during early entry. If you don't have Extra Magic Hour/Magic Morning on your ticket and won't be in the park an hour before official opening, only half the tickets may be left (and in my experience the tickets go fast during early entry as well). Or pick one of the days of the week where Disneyland isn't doing early entry. Either way, I would recommend going there right away. The first time we didn't realize this and rode something first, and by then the only option was the last show of the day, which didn't work for us.

Hi-Ho
05-05-2017, 12:07 PM
Keep in mind also that they give half the tickets away during early entry. If you don't have Extra Magic Hour/Magic Morning on your ticket and won't be in the park an hour before official opening, only half the tickets may be left (and in my experience the tickets go fast during early entry as well). Or pick one of the days of the week where Disneyland isn't doing early entry. Either way, I would recommend going there right away. The first time we didn't realize this and rode something first, and by then the only option was the last show of the day, which didn't work for us.

Thank you!!

olegc
05-08-2017, 07:56 AM
Ugh. Just passing along. Yesterday with the threat of rain most of the afternoon shows were cancelled - but you don't find out until you check in. They still offer a photo opp of the kids in front of a star field wearing Padawan robes and a lit light saber. However, for my nephew who was waiting for 2 months for this, and does not come to the park often, that was a killer blow. You could see his lack of understanding of cancellation when you could not see or feel rain.

MagicBeliever
05-08-2017, 08:12 AM
Ugh. Just passing along. Yesterday with the threat of rain most of the afternoon shows were cancelled - but you don't find out until you check in. They still offer a photo opp of the kids in front of a star field wearing Padawan robes and a lit light saber. However, for my nephew who was waiting for 2 months for this, and does not come to the park often, that was a killer blow. You could see his lack of understanding of cancellation when you could not see or feel rain.

We also got cancelled in December because of rain. They didn't cancel until literally the minute the show was supposed to start. So the kids were all prepped and robed and ready to go. I was in the "audience" over at the terrace and actually found out before they told the kids (my husband was with the kids at the check-in/prep area - I called him and told him the show was cancelled and he hadn't heard yet). I imagine this happened a lot this winter. It was disappointing for sure, but definitely be prepared mentally if there's any rain in the forecast. We did get the photos of the kids with their robes and lightsabers.

soccerlady16
05-15-2017, 12:08 PM
We went April 20, a Thursday. It was booked up by 8:45am. I am not sure if that was a MM. So we signed up as the 47th alternate and didnt getting in until the 2pm show. I would go to the Jedi sign up first, located outside the Innovations building by the Autotopia entrance.

I do NOT like this new way of signing up, it ruins the spontaneity of the experience. We are fortunate enough to have annual passes. We spend the day going back every hour to see if DD had made it into the show. As a regular ticket holder this would have been a waste of time and money to be an alternate.

Janis and Aaron
05-15-2017, 07:04 PM
I do NOT like this new way of signing up, it ruins the spontaneity of the experience.

It was easy to "work" the selection system under the old way. My son just wore a Star Wars shirt on those days when he wanted to participate in the Jedi Training Academy and was selected every time. (His Yoda backpack probably helped, too.) The only time he was ever NOT selected was the one time he wasn't wearing a SW shirt. Ah, those were the days...

bumblebeeonarose
05-15-2017, 09:02 PM
Although our daughter got selected to do the show the one time we tried, I am glad they changed to the sign-up process. Waste of time? I dunno. I have read of people whose kids were desperate to do the show and they sat through several shows before being chosen. That is a waste of time. Now they just have to be willing to go first thing in the morning and sign-up. And if you have more than one kid you know that both will get in and there won't be tears over one getting the chance and the other being looked over.

If it was a Thursday, it was a MM day.