PDA

View Full Version : Lifetime Pass?

Pages : [1] 2

chelbell
01-13-2004, 02:15 PM
My husband said that one of his friends has a "lifetime pass" for Disneyland....I told him I've never heard of that. I know there are annual passes....but a lifetime pass???? Anyone know anything about this?:confused:

Freerider127
01-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Yes there is one but you have to be given it you can not buy it. For example the 500 millionth vistor got one stuff like that.

chelbell
01-13-2004, 02:58 PM
Oh, ok. Well guess that means I can't buy one....darn it!! Thanks for the reply.:)

Morrigoon
01-13-2004, 03:09 PM
You can get one if you have one of the "keys". :fez: But, of course, it means turning in the key. Not doing that.

Cadaverous Pallor
01-13-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
You can get one if you have one of the "keys". :fez: But, of course, it means turning in the key. Not doing that. I guess I'm the one that gets to clarify Morrigoon's cryptic quote. :D If I get this wrong, please feel free to correct me...

On opening day they gave away many little keys to the first people to enter the park (did everyone get one?). They were lifetime passes to Disneyland. Up until the 80's, you could use the key to get in free. They became family heirlooms. But then Disney decided that if you presented a key at the gate, they would take it away and give you a card that then represented the lifetime pass. So many people have decided to keep the key instead and just pay to get in.

I don't know for sure, but I bet that the pass they replace the key with is non-transferrable. So no more heirlooms.

I believe someone on the boards actually has one in their possession, but I can't remember who...Morrigoon?

experiment626
01-13-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
I don't know for sure, but I bet that the pass they replace the key with is non-transferrable. So no more heirlooms.
Well this would make sense, since the "key" was intended to be a passs for the person it was presented to, not to their entire family for the rest of the lineage.

DisneyFan25863
01-13-2004, 05:51 PM
I know Legoland has one, maybe they own it for there?

mamabot
01-13-2004, 08:18 PM
Being the resident Disney Geek in my family, I received a phone call last week from my cousin asking about the lifetime pass. One of his friends was telling him that she was born at Disneyland and received a lifetime pass as a result.

My cousin was curious to know if this type of event could land someone a lifetime pass.

sediment
01-13-2004, 08:26 PM
You could have a family member die there.

chelbell
01-13-2004, 08:27 PM
I had never heard about the "keys"....I think that is so cool! I'm glad I started this thread, just so I could hear that story. I don't think I would give the key up either!!!:D

DrIndianaJones
01-13-2004, 09:01 PM
Yes, if you are born...or if your mother goes into labor...you will receive a lifetime pass.

NirvanaMan
01-13-2004, 09:14 PM
Dude, I will like totally go into labor there now or something....

DrIndianaJones
01-13-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by NirvanaMan
Dude, I will like totally go into labor there or something now....
:fez: :cool:

HBTiggerFan
01-13-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by NirvanaMan
Dude, I will like totally go into labor there now or something....

Dude, I'd pay good money to see that.

TheatreTech
01-13-2004, 09:31 PM
I think it is a rumor, but, does Disney have any sort of "lifetime pass" or other special "give-aways" for having an annual pass for a certain number of consecutive years?

My dad has a friend who has been a pass holder for 20something straight years. And he claims that after (either 25 or 30) years you recieve a lifetime pass.

I asked about it when I went to renew my pass last week. I wanted to know it there were any "perks" for renewing on or before the day my old pass expires. Or should I wait until my next visit, possibly to extend the expiration of the next pass by about a week. She said that she had heard about it, but, has never been officially told about the deal; or to say anything about it to APs.

Anyone else heard about this? For some reason I don't think it is true.:rolleyes:

Morrigoon
01-13-2004, 11:58 PM
The keys were given to the children who went that day (my grandmother, a newspaper editor at the time, took my dad and two others, all of whom recieved keys. Dad lost his, but his niece still had hers and gave it to me many years ago. I have since seen one on ebay, which my mother purchased for around $60 - the seller knew nothing about the key or how it came to her, save for it being part of a key collection of her mother's).

The keys weren't worth that much in their day, because the entry price was a mere token amount to keep out the riffraff and rides still had to be paid for. It was when Eisner decided to switch to an all-day pass and abolish the ticket system that they became so much more valuable... they still had to honor the keys.

chelbell
01-14-2004, 05:26 AM
So what did these keys look like? How big, what color?

Cadaverous Pallor
01-14-2004, 09:13 AM
I forgot about the born in Disneyland thing...but it's true, the kid gets a lifetime pass.

Now I'm visualizing a disney geek mom going into early labor in the park. They obviously have some time before she gives birth. The husband says "Let's go to the dropoff lot and you wait while I quickly get the car." Mom says "Not without visiting City Hall first and getting my kid a lifetime pass!" :D

I've never heard of the APer getting a lifetime pass just for showing up year after year. I think this is especially suspect because the AP program is not all that old (isn't it?).

adriennek
01-14-2004, 10:28 AM
You don't get a lifetime pass for just going into labor in the park. Many have tried it. Many have encouraged pregnant women they know to go for it. :rolleyes: No, thank you.

I can't remember if you actually get a pass for being born in the park or if it's an urban legend. But if you were to go into labor at the park, they'd try to get you off-property and to a hospital as soon as they could.

Adrienne

shawnarae
01-14-2004, 04:22 PM
I was looking on Ebay and came across an Auction for a Vintage Disneyland Key. Is this the "key" everyone was talking about? It is item #2216870817.

DisneyFan25863
01-14-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by shawnarae
I was looking on Ebay and came across an Auction for a Vintage Disneyland Key. Is this the "key" everyone was talking about? It is item #2216870817.

I was looking at that too. I'm wondering if its the key. If so, 14.95 for a lifetime pass isn't bad!

tracilicious
01-14-2004, 07:36 PM
dang it! i have already been bidding on that. i don't believe it is the real thing, but my MIL loves old disney souveniers and i am trying to get it for her wedding anniversary coming up. i think i might know someone who has one though. i was hoping no one would see the ebay auction because i have my proxy set higher than i want to pay for it, but i know she would love it. i'll just send this plea out into cyber space - don't bid on it! :)

tangaroa
01-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Employees who retire with at least 10 years of continuous service and who are at least 55 years of age at the time of retirement will receive, for life, the type of complimentary entrance pass they held at the time of retirement.

Employees who retire because of a permanent disability, who are age 45 or older with 10 or more years of continuous service will receive, for life, the type of complimentary entrance pass they held at the time of retirement.

Surviving spouses of retired employees with at least 10 years of continuous service at the time of retirement are eligible to recieve annually for life, or until they remarry, the type of pass the retiree held at the time of retirement.

In the event of the death of presently employed Regular employees with at least 15 years of continuous service, surviving spouses will continue to receive a Silver Pass for life or until they remarry.

sleepyjeff
01-14-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
....... It was when Eisner decided to switch to an all-day pass and abolish the ticket system that they became so much more valuable... they still had to honor the keys.

All Day Pass introduced in 1982.

Eisner came along(:mad: ) in 1984.

Eisner is a lot of things......a time traveler is not one of them:eek:

Christiii
01-15-2004, 07:26 AM
I had heard that Rose and Dubby have one..they are the REALLY cuuute swing dancers that are there every Sat night..I saw another guy there that looked exactly like Dubby...was wondering if that was his brother..hmmm...I heard..(maybe on this board??) that they have a lifetime pass for coming so long..and the bandleader said that they were in the Guinness book for dancing together the longest..dont know if that is true tho...Im so looking forward to seeing them this Sat...tho it get coooold out there!!