PDA

View Full Version : Extinct Attraction Video Clips

Pages : [1] 2

Rallymonkey23
01-12-2004, 06:40 PM
I just came across this website with a few extinct attraction video clips on it.

Enjoy! (http://www.extinct-attractions-club.com/video-series.html) :)

DisneyFan25863
01-12-2004, 06:52 PM
I've heard bad things about this place....:|

Forbin
01-12-2004, 07:43 PM
Can they really sell a disney documentation without the Big Mouse getting a piece of the action?

Cadaverous Pallor
01-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Hmm, remember this guy? (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=1279)

He posted in all caps....got moderated a lot.....and was banned.

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3748

Rallymonkey23
01-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
Hmm, remember this guy? (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=1279)

He posted in all caps....got moderated a lot.....and was banned.

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3748

Wow. I wasnt around then so I didn't know about this person.

I did enjoy the clips though.

GREGOR
01-13-2004, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by Forbin
Can they really sell a disney documentation without the Big Mouse getting a piece of the action?

For one, that's the nature of a documentation. It doesn't have to be "sponsored" or even approved by the subject matter that the people are documenting. Secondly, they aren't "selling" the DVD's/videos. You get them free when you make a "donation" to the Extinct Attractions Club or when you join up to be a member.

Duane
01-13-2004, 06:33 AM
The magic word is "donation". This website offers the videos free of charge as long as you make a donation which is supposed to be used for homeless people in Anaheim. My guess is that this guy is pocketing tons of cash from these donations. He is very smart in the sense that he does not have to pay tax on donations and since he is technically "giving" you the videos, he owes no royalties to Disney because a profit has not been made. Pretty smart and sneaky way to make a buck huh? Wish I would have thought of the idea first! I will give him credit in the fact that these videos are put together in an excellent manner and nothing like this is available anywhere. For those of us who miss these beloved attractions, it is a wonderful way to relive the past. If you never had a chance to ride them, you now can experience what has come and gone.

disneylandia
01-13-2004, 06:52 AM
I've never bought one, but I doubt he's making a ton of $.

GREGOR
01-13-2004, 07:29 AM
Aside from the "no profit", another thing I noticed from from reading the site is that it seems (?) the videos are made from movie clips and pictures obtained from regular people. It sounds like they are not using any pictures or video created by Disney and if they weren't created by Disney, then Disney has no claim for ownership or copyright.

For example, if you take a picture of the Matterhorn, then you own the rights to the photograph and not Disney, even though the Matterhorn belongs to Disney. If anyone, they would have had to get the rights from those people who took the pics and video in the first place.

genenpet
01-13-2004, 08:59 AM
"For example, if you take a picture of the Matterhorn, then you own the rights to the photograph and not Disney, even though the Matterhorn belongs to Disney. If anyone, they would have had to get the rights from those people who took the pics and video in the first place."

No. This is not the case. Commercializing in any way photographs taken from within the Disney parks has been considered a trademark violation by the courts in 2 separate cases. Florida even has an extra law on the books about this, that was put there specifically for WDW. These are considered trademarked, copyrighted, and controlled spaces - not public spaces.

There is also specific case law on taking pictures of buildings from the inside. Generally - the copyright can be maintained by the original owner, even if the public is allowed inside the building.

The guy is doing something clearly illegal - if nothing else, the music and soundtrack rights are clearly not his - but that doesn't mean anyone is going to go after him - except the police, since he seems to have a habit of taking money and not sending DVDs - do a newsgroup search...

Duane
01-13-2004, 09:18 AM
I received my DVD's from the club without a problem. The reason some people panic is he sends the orders out periodically in large masses. In other words, each order is not filled individually. You may not receive your DVD's for a month or so depending on when your donation arrives. As far as him making a ton of cash, do your math. An entire collection requires a donation of around $100. If he sells 75 a month, that's $7,500. I only make half that much money working 40 hours a week. Considering that you can purchase blank DVD's in quantity for about 20 cents apiece, this guy is laughing his way all the way to the bank! He escapes legal problems because you are not "buying the DVD", he is giving them to you free for your enjoyment in return for a donation to join his club. As I mentioned earlier, I wish I would have thought up this idea first, I could quit my job. If you remember, Kevin Yee posted a Peoplemover video on the internet for all to enjoy not too long ago. Since it was free of charge, it was perfectly legal. It was also an excellent video! Just think Kevin, you could make some bucks too if you started a similar club!!!! Maybe call it Moneyage.com!

Loric
01-13-2004, 09:23 AM
Two things..

I purchased 3 videos for research, or actually got them as christmas prezzies. I got the Horizons video, the Peoplemover video and Adventure through Inner Space.

I like them, i'm happy with what I got and all. The apprently latest video, Horizons, is the best done and most complete.

I do think there might be copyright issues though.

For example, you CANNOT for any reason videotape inside the Universe of Energy building at Epcot. This is not the typical Disney stance - You can video tape as long as it doesn't disturb other guests in several attractions though.

So, I bet Energy will never be an extinct attractions club documentary - but when it goes I'll kind of wish it was.

Side note, I used to think it was because Energy is highly film based, but I'm starting to lean more toward the ride system and mechanics - which have never been duplicated.

genenpet
01-13-2004, 11:33 AM
Side note, I used to think it was because Energy is highly film based, but I'm starting to lean more toward the ride system and mechanics - which have never been duplicated.

I think this comes into play when Disney uses actual stars. Things like cranium command, ellen, etc. And, of course, when they think it would be dangerous to film (body wars, etc).

justagrrl
01-13-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Duane
An entire collection requires a donation of around $100.

It's not a donation if it's "required" though is it.

Loric
01-13-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by genenpet

I think this comes into play when Disney uses actual stars. Things like cranium command, ellen, etc. And, of course, when they think it would be dangerous to film (body wars, etc).

Guests are allowed to tape Body Wars. Or, were (RIP).

Always thought someone would knock themself out holding a clunky camera up, but nothing ever happened. Rather, the most interesting event I ever witnessed was the time someone brought take-out suishii from the japan pavillion into the Probe and sat it on an empty seat in the backrow.

The vehicle lunged, and the sushii covered everyone in the Probe.

davebert4
01-13-2004, 03:19 PM
For example, you CANNOT for any reason videotape inside the Universe of Energy building at Epcot.

And if you look at the nature's wonderland photos, I don't think Disney would be to thrilled that some one was on photo safari in the off stage areas.

Cadaverous Pallor
01-13-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
It's not a donation if it's "required" though is it. Hmm, if you make a certain donation to PBS during their pledge drives, they will send you certain "gifts". Like, "if you donate $100 dollars right now we'll send you The Best of Peter Paul and Mary CD, along with this attractive tote bag." :) Perhaps this could be construed as the same thing...

But I still think the guy is probably a con artist.

AVP
01-13-2004, 07:52 PM
But I still think the guy is probably a con artist. OK, and here's where your moderators step in and say:
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this message board to post any material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, libelous, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, threatening, an invasion of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. This can include the discussion of Web sites, as we believe MousePad is not the venue for criticizing other sites. This topic comes up every once in a while, and we allow it to continue so long as people are sharing their personal experiences with the company in question. Once the posts cross the line into name-calling, we must ask that you cross back over the line, or we will lock the thread.

Thank you.
AVP

Lost Boy
01-13-2004, 09:40 PM
I video taped both the original version of Universe of Energy and the replacement with Ellen Degeneris with no problem at all. Got the entire ride/show from beginning to end. And, my own opinion, the first version is far better.

Since I have never had a problem with Extinct Attractions and have received all six DVD's that were originally offered I have provided video footage (which was used in one of the new ones, Country Bears - some of the old park footage at the beginning is mine and the two bear shows with no audience are also mine) I have already made arrangements to provide him with lots of attractions footage from WDW of both old, extinct and new attractions as he is expanding the DVD's to cover WDW as well as Disneyland.

Loric
01-14-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
I video taped both the original version of Universe of Energy and the replacement with Ellen Degeneris with no problem at all. Got the entire ride/show from beginning to end. And, my own opinion, the first version is far better.

Since I have never had a problem with Extinct Attractions and have received all six DVD's that were originally offered I have provided video footage (which was used in one of the new ones, Country Bears - some of the old park footage at the beginning is mine and the two bear shows with no audience are also mine) I have already made arrangements to provide him with lots of attractions footage from WDW of both old, extinct and new attractions as he is expanding the DVD's to cover WDW as well as Disneyland.

Funny, the pre-show specifically states "No video taping." I bet you have that part on tape. :rolleyes:

Of course, blatant rule breakers do slip through - hope you dont get caught the next time you punch Goofy in the gut either.

Kevin Yee
01-14-2004, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by Duane
If you remember, Kevin Yee posted a Peoplemover video on the internet for all to enjoy not too long ago. Since it was free of charge, it was perfectly legal. It was also an excellent video! Just think Kevin, you could make some bucks too if you started a similar club!!!! Maybe call it Moneyage.com!

I would NEVER set up a club like that guy. For one thing, it's way too risky. If the guy makes money from the club - if it's anything other than 100% donations to charity - then he's running afoul of the IRS and risking serious jail time... for a few measly thousands of dollars. Not me.

The salient point for me, and probably for the IRS, is that it's quid pro quo. Make a donation, get a video. No donation = no video. Playing with language does not, in the IRS's view, an exception to the law make. In everything but name, he's selling the videos (well, that assumes he isn't really donating the money to charity). Actions count, not labels.

spectromen
01-14-2004, 07:41 AM
I'm just thrilled he makes the videos available to us fans - obviously he shares the same passion about Disney's past and it's strong enough that he wants us all to be a part of that, donation/profit or not. And LostBoy, I'm so glad you have the original version of UofE (which I never got to see). Here's hoping it shows up on a future EAC DVD!

SacTown Chronic
01-14-2004, 08:06 AM
Hmm, if you make a certain donation to PBS during their pledge drives, they will send you certain "gifts". Like, "if you donate $100 dollars right now we'll send you The Best of Peter Paul and Mary CD, along with this attractive tote bag." :)

I'll pledge $200 if they promise not to send the CD.:fez:

Cadaverous Pallor
01-14-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by AVP
Once the posts cross the line into name-calling, we must ask that you cross back over the line, or we will lock the thread.
Oops! Sorry. Lapse in judgement there.

Lost Boy
01-14-2004, 07:10 PM
Funny, the pre-show specifically states "No video taping." I bet you have that part on tape.

First off, there was no sign anywhere that I saw and several cast members saw me with the camera up and shooting and did nothing, and this was at the beginning of the ride, both times. No one came up to me at anytime during the entire show/ride and when I got off several Cast Members saw me shooting and never said a word. If I had seen the signs, which I didn't, or if a CM had said anything, I would have immediately stopped.

Of course, blatant rule breakers do slip through - hope you dont get caught the next time you punch Goofy in the gut either.

And the remark about punching Goofy in the stomach was totally uncalled for. Especially me with my passion for costumed characters and the fact that I play with them, not at them, and they love it.