PDA

View Full Version : The Monorail Cafe

wabby1
04-03-2017, 02:22 PM
My sister and I were visiting about the Monorail Cafe at the Disneyland Hotel and how much we miss it. Just throwing this out there....and please, don't give me the Starbucks answer.....Don't you think that an old time coffee house/diner would do well in Downtown Disney? Perhaps it's not a realistic request or thought because I'm the first to admit that having a corporate partner like Starbucks helps keep the show going, but just sayin' for nostalgic reasons.....

By the way, there are old menus of the Monorail Cafe going on Ebay for over $100! Wow.....

cstephens
04-03-2017, 04:19 PM
I would enjoy it, but I'm not sure it would make as much money as the retail spaces and higher-end restaurants would make. Nostalgia is a nice thing, but the reality is that it only works if it's also financially viable.

By the way, there are old menus of the Monorail Cafe going on Ebay for over $100! Wow.....

We have one of the menus. We were there closing night, and they didn't mind when we asked for one since they weren't going to need them anyway.

olegc
04-03-2017, 08:43 PM
all the business stories in LA Times and OC Register keep mentioning the experts claiming "Anaheim needs more 4 star resorts and options" so I guess you won't see value anything anytime soon. Though if everything is 4-star whats left for the remainder? And besides - how long does Anaheim think it can compete with Newport Beach area for high end hotels for the truly wealthy. Alas - I digress. I agree with ctephens. You won't see it anytime soon.

MadasaHatter
04-04-2017, 07:18 AM
I think a Monorail Cafe would do very well in DownTownDisney...as we saw retail pulling out Disney was smart to not keep shops closed which is very UN-Disney and they replaced it with their retail shops....I think a Monorail Cafe would be great....I think that the dining options at Disney are very uneven and they do some things better than others....it is always difficult to do and maintain that volume....but they do seem to pay attention and learn....I have seen restaurants go up and down over the years ....some are on the upswing now...some on the downswing.

jmorgan
04-13-2017, 08:50 AM
I always remember eating there as a kid never remembered the name. I Googled images of it and it brought a lot of good memories back.

queenbetsey
04-14-2017, 06:54 AM
That place was great! I was hoping that they would consider putting in something like 50's prime time in the old HOB area but we are getting a splitsville instead from what I hear. but an old school diner would be awesome